Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of another era…(Hallmark Star Trek ornaments)

Unhappy End of another era…(Hallmark Star Trek ornaments)

Every year, like time and tide, death and taxes, and the New England Patriots caving in skulls at any given Superbowl; I had a long standing tradition with in my family.

Every year, both my sister and myself receive a Christmas ornament from our parents. And every year for the past ten-plus years (well, since the Next Gen. Enterprise-D), I always asked for the ship ornament by Hallmark…until this year.

After three years of struggling against it, Hallmark made a ship from…THAT show produced by ‘THEM’ :
    http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~mvrojo/ornaments.htm

Now, I make no bones; people ‘round these parts know my feeling about the whole issue of that piece of…IT of a sad-attempt at science fiction (the Xindi alone would have Darwin [the scientist, not the dolphin] screaming at the top of his lungs: “this is EVOLUTIONLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!”…and he’d be right).

Sadder still is the fact that my local Hallmark store is closing after all these years. The owners retiring, and no word as to if he’s going to sell the franchise. So no ship this year, and maybe next year as well.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

I like the tradition, but hate the decorations. So, I can't really get upset here. Time for another tradition.

>sigh< Trek-basher go home.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

I actually thought Modem was complaining about a SW ornament, not an Ent one.

I like Ent. it's getting better (now they have to change that theme song!)
    I may sound naive here, but I didn't know how strongly the anti Ent sentiments were.

on an interesting side note:
    Modem's signature mentions how the d20 system is not the best (this is true, TSR's Marvel RPG system was the best)
    While Ezri's Toy's sig had compliments on the system.

So much venom over a Television show.

Now, I make no bones; people ‘round these parts know my feeling about the whole issue of that piece of…IT of a sad-attempt at science fiction (the Xindi alone would have Darwin [the scientist, not the dolphin] screaming at the top of his lungs: “this is EVOLUTIONLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!”…and he’d be right).
    I am normally the bastion of free speech (and have my own issues with Enterprise), but honestly... how many times do we need to see this bashing of the television show. It may be true to you but I am beginning to see why the pro-Enterprise members get annoyed.

Seriously, I understand your frustration but honestly you aren't saying anything about the show that members of the boards haven't heard ad nauseam.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

I really like that Vulcan ship though

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    We should just round up and kill all the Enterprise bashers. Only then will the bleating stop.
    Attack me and I'll just bleat louder.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

We should just round up and kill all the Enterprise bashers. Only then will the bleating stop.
    ...and posts like this do nothing to help the situation. In fact it does nothing but provoke people and start flamewars.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

I like the Vulcan ship. I always thought it had a unique appearance.

I also like the TOS Amok Time ornament.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I agree, the Vulcan ship is a very interesting design. Not that I intend to buy it soon, but it's nice to see.

About the ENT bashing, I have just one question : if you happen to be eating in a restaurant (let's suppose a very cheap one to have the metaphor working ), and discover that you really, really, really, don't like the food, but see people at other tables who seem to be enjoying it rather well. Do you :
    1) Stop eating and leave as soon as you can.
    2) Go to see the cook and tell him what you think.
    3) Force yourself to finish your whole meal.
    4) Jump on your table and start yelling "Hey, look, this really tastes like "sh*t!! Damn, I wonder how one can stomach this crap!! Oh, but the cook must really be an idiot!! Bleeeh, but this is disgusting!!! Do you hear me ??? Disgusting!!"

"The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    An army of people who mindlessly lap up whatever drivel Paramount chooses to pump out? I'm not too terribly afraid of them...
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

Bah! Those that complain about Enterprise are lucky; they can actually see the show, and then decide if they want to keep seeing it or not. Me? No such luck, there I precious little scifi on tv around here.
    We come, we are not seen, and inevitably, we conquer.

First and Last, there is Duty.

Romulan Proverbs

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Scottomir
    An army of people who mindlessly lap up whatever drivel Paramount chooses to pump out? I'm not too terribly afraid of them...
    Yeah, that's not inflamatory.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz