Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speculation on Decipher TrekRPG

Originally posted by Captain Blake:
    Sorry to go off topic, but Steve, you mensioned Haven: City of Violence.
    Is that in any way related to the old City of Haven stuff from a long time ago?
    Sorry, 'fraid not. This is a new game being produced by a fellow named Louis Porter. It's a sort of modern urban crime drama kind of game, inspired largely by, among other things, the Sin City comic book (or so it appears to me).

Steve Long

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    Sorry, 'fraid not. This is a new game being produced by a fellow named Louis Porter. It's a sort of modern urban crime drama kind of game, inspired largely by, among other things, the Sin City comic book (or so it appears to me).

Steve Long
    Drat, I suppose it was too much to hope for.

Well, here's to waiting for the Viper sourcebook.

Exclamation

Dan Moppin's evil twin, Don Mappin, said...
    "Ross, Christian, and Owen were working on d20 Dune until the Wizard’s layoffs."

...And just in case any of you were confoozled by this statement, the Owen in question is Owen Seyler, not me...

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

To add to the Vorlonisms from the earlier thread...

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

our side = what we want
    their side = what they'll give us
    the truth = what stores will be selling

------------------
    It's is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.

Hey, SJohn,
    When you write about Fief by Lisa Steele, is that Lisa of the old Lion Rampant? Was the work that was originally supposed to be Tapestry, seeing the light of day at last?

No and yes. To my knowledge, Lisa was never involved with Lion Rampant, but this is definitely the Lisa of Tapestry and White Rose fame (if fame is the right word; unfortunately; their excellent work is largely unknown, and I intend to change that).

(I could be wrong about the LR thing; I've known Lisa for years but we haven't always talked about everything)

the dead)--since we're engaging in wild speculation, does it seem reasonable that some of the non-completed LUGTrek things could maybe see the light of day? I got my wish by getting a netbook version of Spacedock, but the other thing I wanted was the Movie era book. A Decipher sourcebook for the Movie era would do me just fine--even if it wasn't using the Icon system--but only as long as it was the product of you LUGTrek guys.

I'd like to see a good film-era sourcebook, too! <sob>

Hey, SJohn,

When you write about Fief by Lisa Steele, is that Lisa of the old Lion Rampant? Was the work that was originally supposed to be Tapestry, seeing the light of day at last?

Oh, and to keep this somewhat on topic (which seems to be bringing games back from the dead)--since we're engaging in wild speculation, does it seem reasonable that some of the non-completed LUGTrek things could maybe see the light of day? I got my wish by getting a netbook version of Spacedock, but the other thing I wanted was the Movie era book. A Decipher sourcebook for the Movie era would do me just fine--even if it wasn't using the Icon system--but only as long as it was the product of you LUGTrek guys.

I mean, y'all set such a high _standard_ and all....

Paxton

[This message has been edited by Paxton (edited 02-22-2001).]

Exclamation

Well today there was a small amount of development on the Decipher Star Trek RPG front that may please some of you. On Radio Free Decipher, Decipher's internet radio broadcast on the decipher website, there was supposed to be a last minute interview with Christian Moore - the new head of the Decipher RPG/Miniatures division. Unfortuanetly the interview is not part of this weeks broadcast, but you can listen to the introduction to the interview on this weeks broadcast at this <a href="/rfd/archives/audio/rfd_01_02_23.ram">link</a>, the portion of the interview that you are looking for is the 4th clip (the first clip is a "You're listening to Radio Free Decipher", the second clip is a general info on the Decipher CCGs and the third is what is happening in Europe).

[This message has been edited by Hirogen (edited 02-23-2001).]

Just the latest and greatest I heard today from a couple of reliable sources... there will be an official Star Trek RPG announcement from Decipher on March 21 during the Gamma Convention (a RPG manufacturers/retail convention in Vegas).

While I don't know all the details yet, I was told yet again that this incarnation of Trek would bear a striking resembalance to Icon. One of my sources even suggested they wouldn't be too surprised if the new Trek is in fact based on Icon. WoTC is very strapped for cash financially, and might have sold Icon to Decipher outright.

WoTC is in serious financial straights. WoTC would actually be bankrupt right now due to heavy fiscal losses they have taken the last two quarters, primarily due to poor sales at Wizards Stores/Game Keeper shops throughout the U.S.. However, technically, the Wizards Stores are seperate corporate entity (as far as Hasbro is concerned). But there is growing concern over WoTC's stability right now.

Yancy

Thanks for all the ex-LUG guys answers... As usual best of wishes to all of you. Thanks for the good time... and hopefully more for the future.

(I wasn't even THINKING of trying out Wheel of Time, but now must consider it)

Now back to the topic at hand.. Until I hear more about i, I too must not comment!

Hmmm. Maybe WotC really over extended themselves aquiring all those RPG companies.
    / ?

Wacko 900!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Arrow

Exactly how many companies have WotC acquired? Because I count two (TSR and LUG).

Granted, they acquired other rights like the Star Wars Fan Club and Star Wars Insider magazine as well as rights to publish Wheel of Time RPG and miniatures.

Personally, I blame Pokemon. Shame on you, parents, for not allowing your kids to spend their money on Pokemon TCG and merchandise.

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

<font color="orange">WoTC is very strapped for cash financially, and might have sold Icon to Decipher outright.</font>

Hmm. I have mixed feeling about this:

1) Yay. Icon may be revived again.
    2) Um, I'm kind of hoping Icon system would go back to the original designers. (Christian Moore, Ross Isaacs, etc.) Hey, Decipher! Hire them for ... *two-page text deleted due to strong language* ... sake!!!

Nevertheless. I'm taking taking a wait-and-see approach.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 02-24-2001).]

Well, personally I'd rather Decipher got the Icon license and kept producing the game. I still don't understand why Paramount yanked it without even (so far as I know) asking Wizards if D20 Trek was inevitable or not.

I love every source I've read and Icon is an excellent game system. Normally I come up with house rules before I ever even play a game to fix a perceived flaw. Since I also write rpgs it's a failing of mine to test problem areas as soon as I perceive what might be one. I haven't found any in LugTrek. The only things that could possibly need house rules (what to do to a specialization when the skill meets or exceeds it, and that Strength vs Fit+Str debate in unarmed combat) don't _need_ them. It's more personal preference.

So unless Decipher comes out with something better than Icon (which is unlikely) I'd hope they would go with Icon. All the good authors are a bonus as well, and I suppose if it were written by good authors I'd buy it anyway if there was no overlap with books I already had. So push to write that Klingon or Cardassian manuscript. We already have a good Andorian source, etc.

Byron

Wink

Wait and see? WAIT AND SEE?!? Never! I want the senseless speculation and continuous rumoring to go on!

Well, it seems we'll may have some luck. If we're lucky enough to see Decipher buy the rights of the ICON Trek RPG as it is today, we can say we trashed a whole year in the WotC/Decipher acquisitions and discussions.

Okay, I'll set the topic on fire. Without wanting to offend Christian Moore, did he have bad timing when he offered LUG to WotC? Maybe Decipher would have acquired them if they waited for six months... what do you think?

Yes, this is senseless rumoring, so what?

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

I will say that an announcement (press release) was going to come out in the last week but continuing talks with Wizards have delayed this. It wouldn’t surprise me, knowing how these things go, to find that all this will be held up until GAMA before a formal announcement can be made. (Actually, that’d be some good timing.)

Your sources sound pretty reliable, Yancy and yes, Wizards/Hasbro has a substantial amount of short and long-term Poke’-debt.

Dr. Bashir, Decipher actually tried on two occasions (?) to acquire LUG – it never worked out. Couple that with the fact that Christian Moore is good friends with Peter Adkison (ex-Wizards), and Wizards had the inside track.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

AslanC Guest

I am going to jump in here with a Hypothetical...if Decipher were to buy the ICON system and hire the boys and girls back to continue the game...would the Dune comabt system refinments be added to the Trek engine?

I haven't read them yet, but I hear the combat system was more elegant in Dune.

(Just waiting for my book to clear customs)