Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speculation on Decipher TrekRPG

Hey Don!

This is the thirtieth message in the thread and NO FLAMES!. The doomsayers are just not living up to their end of the contract...

Sorry Sarge. 31st message. It doesnt count! ;P

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Here's my BIG question about all this ...

Hypothetically, if Decipher were to buy all the rights to the Icon system from Wizards ...

Is it even hypothetically possible that the deal could include the printing rights to the previously unpublished (and published) material?

What I'm getting at is ... is it possible that Decipher might someday publish all the supplements that we've all been waiting for .. like the Mirror, Mirror supplement, the Klingon supplement, and the Bajor supplement???

Or do the contracts Wizards had with the various authors prevent that possibility from every becoming a reality?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

------------------
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Eris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rana naz’g ol resu ji joreen."
    (It is the unknown that defines our existence)
    -- Bajoran proverb

Wizards holds the rights to specific manuscripts (which they have since paid "kill fees" for), not book concepts. It's a moot point in that if Decipher wants to do a Klingon book, Bajor book, or even an Andorian book, they simply do so and write it.

Now, if said books were to contain information for use with the Icon System, that could be a sticky affair depending on where that legal issue finally falls.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    I've also written two more Ship Recognition Manuals for you folx here (Cardies and Klingons), and am working on two more (TOS and Rommies).
    Steve Long
    Any idea of when you will be putting those manuals up???
    Okay... On to speculation...
    I used to do a little freelance writing for FASA Trek way back when. Yes that situation was completely different from Wotc's & Decipher. I think one of the biggest things that LUG learned from FASA was what not to do. Sorry for bashing FASA but hey I did freelance for them. Anyway, If Decipher is smart, & I know they are, then they will try to pick up as many of you guys that they can. Your work is excellent without question. FASA rarely did much research with their Trek stuff. LUG tried to stay Canon for the most part. The Icon system shouldn't be too hard to pry from the guys at Wotc.
    Well that is my 2 Lainum worth.

------------------
    Captain Darkbane
    U.S.S. Lexington NCC-1709
    "Set Phasers to Stun? who's idea was that? {resets phaser to disrupt} Romulans are tough... They can take it!

the only think i say, is :

i dont want play A vulcan/science level 3 with a tac0 of 12 how give a level 3 dongeon/klingon bird of prey

for the other stuff "je m'en fous"

don, steve and can do all they want, they need to eat too. the only think and its the most important is quality, i dont want see startrek games lose is current quality

AslanC Guest

Originally posted by kalamaro:
    for the other stuff "je m'en fous"
    Bordelle!!!!!!!!!!

Tell like it is brother!

Arrow

<font color="orange">the only think i say, is :
    i dont want play A vulcan/science level 3 with a tac0 of 12 how give a level 3 dongeon/klingon bird of prey</font>

Now why would they want to use Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules? They want a lawsuit from WotC?

LOL.

Sorry, but THAC0 (if that is what you wanted to spell) has gone the way of the dodo bird along with 2nd edition AD&D (although I do admire hardline gamers who do not wish to try the new D&D and still hold on to the old).

I can say this, they made good improvement in D&D3e and the core system (D20) is good enough to do either class/level-based or skill-based games.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 02-25-2001).]

[doomsayer] What a bunch of crappy ideas! You all suck! And I really really mean that, too. :P [/doomsayer]

Does that restore your faith in the internet, Owen?

------------------

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

sorry REG but i only played with the 1st edition.I don't know the last edition
    yes, i begun to be old to

the real probleme, is the player don't want to change the game system.

"ca ne doit pas etre jeté aux orties"*

*french expression for AslanC

[This message has been edited by kalamaro (edited 02-26-2001).]

Originally posted by Don:
    Wizards holds the rights to specific manuscripts (which they have since paid "kill fees" for), not book concepts. It's a moot point in that if Decipher wants to do a Klingon book, Bajor book, or even an Andorian book, they simply do so and write it.
    What I'm wondering is, well, what exactly does a "kill fee" stipulate?

The Mirror, Mirror supplement, as well as the Klingon supplement, were both (from what I heard) pretty much finished and ready for publication.

IF (... and there's a big if here ...) Decipher gets the full rights to the existing Icon system from Wizards ... is it even hypothetically possible that Decipher may work out a new contract with the original authors of those two books to publish their already-written work?

These authors have already done all the research, thinking and writing, so it sounds like a win-win for everybody -- the authors would get more money for their efforts, all their work wouldn't go to waste, and Decipher would be able to get some supplements out in record time!

Or is that all just a wishful pipe dream?

------------------
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Eris

"Rana naz’g ol resu ji joreen."
    (It is the unknown that defines our existence)
    -- Bajoran proverb

I'm looking at this from a mercenary i.e. WOTC's stand point.

The issue is probably whether or not WOTC can make more money selling the Icon system to Decipher compared to what WOTC can expect to lose from having competition.

If gaining the money to stop the bleeding now is worth it to them, they'll sell.

If the amount of money they figure they'll lose having a competitor is minimal, they'll sell.

If they feel that Icon System could be a thorn in their side, they'll sit on the thing till it rots. That'll force Decipher to make their own game.

JMO, of cource.

AslanC Guest

Originally posted by kalamaro:
    "ca ne doit pas etre jeté aux orties"
    Just for the rest of you, this means

"It shouldn't be tossed aside"

It is an expression but it has merit and meaning here in this topic. I feel Icon needs a second edition (Sorry gonna stand by that one) as there are some flaws in the system, but otherwise it is a tight and decent system overall. It would be a shame to see it tossed aside by WoTC when they can sell it.

I for one am waiting to hear what the announcement at Gamma will be.

Arrow

<font color="orange">I also think that WotC is going to completely go D20 for their games (except the card based Marvel).</font>

Actually, the SAGA card-based RPG system has been dumped, and WotC no longer have the Marvel license. I agree, WotC have decided to focus on and promote one RPG premise and that is the D20 system products, especially now that their budget has been reduced due to a bad fiscal year reporting great loss (which I say again, I blame Pokemon).

And I don't think a company selling two RPG systems is viable in the competing market. TSR did that (D&D rules, Boot Hill rules, Gamma World rules, SAGA, Amazing Engine, etc.) and look what happened to them. That is why companies like White Wolf, Steve Jackson Games, Hero Games, and Palladium are still able to survive by capitalizing on one thing they're good at, publishing products out of their own RPG system.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 02-26-2001).]

Here's my 2 cents (that's what is probably worth too)

I believe that ICON system was only used for LUG Trek and the hardly seen Dune systems. I also think that WotC is going to completely go D20 for their games (except the card based Marvel). If I was Wizards, I won't have a problem selling the ICON system off.

The question then goes to Decipher: What's ICON worth to them? I'd hope it would be worth a decent amount considering I'm not buying their books unless they are easily converted over to LUG Trek. And what's easier to convert to than the same system?

Premise: Decipher buys ICON. Wizards gets money for a system they will probably never use again. Decipher doesn't have to develop a whole new system and has several writers that are already in the system mindset. And most important to Decipher: LOTS of happy customers buying their stuff because they didn't make us buy a whole new system.