Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Speculation on Decipher TrekRPG

AslanC Guest

Thumbs up

If it is a fake, adrian did his or her work. Monica Jones is in charge of CCG Media Relations according to http://www.decipher.com/aboutdeciphe...who/index.html

Plus, I believe adrian at this point... no reason to doubt him/her. I just hope that Decipher makes an official announcement sometime soon.

When is Gama (this year)?

IIRC, March 15. So the answers are around the corner.

Exclamation

Sometime soon? I'm about to freak out if they don't do the announcement during March!

I hope that prediction about a press release during GAMA proves true...

Dr. Jonas Bashir, who's rubbing his hands hoping the best case scenario

Okay, I was chatting with someone inside Wotc earlier. Though I got no official "Official" word on it I believe they are going to sell Icon to Decipher. I was told that the system is now completely useless to Wotc. In fact they may already have sold the rights. Now here is my question, if the rights to the Icon systems are sold how will that affect this site which Wotc gave right to continue using & posting Icon stuff? Don? Any comments?

Enquiring minds want to know.

------------------
    Captain Darkbane
    U.S.S. Lexington NCC-1709
    "Set Phasers to Stun? who's idea was that? {resets phaser to disrupt} Romulans are tough... They can take it!

Personally, I think that if/when Decipher does it's own Star Trek game (be it ICON or not), they should only do one core rule book, with supliments that cover how to do games in the other siries settings.

Let me explain: Let's say Decipher does get ICON, and uses it for their Star Trek game. A revision of the rules to correct the errors in the system would not be a bad idea. However, reprinting three Core Rule books that all have the same rules in it, just different settings, seems a tad much to me. I would like to see one Core Rule book, focusing on TNG, and then suppliments that discuss how to use those rules in a DS9 fringes of the Federation setting or a TOS era setting.

No offence ment to the LUG guys, I was more than willing to buy all their rule books! I just think it would be easier on the pocket book this way.

Chris

------------------
    Shawks Haters Club! Check for Gills!

I believe it was Paramount who insisted on every series having its own core book or some such.
    I don't think their opinion will have changed now that Decipher is going to publish a (possibly new) game.

Talking

Hey guys!

Try not to badger ("We don' need no stinkin' badgers!") Don, Owen, Steve, or even the mysterious Dan Moppin about the GAMA announcement or the possible sale of ICON to Decipher. If they have any knowledge of it, they are most probably bound, either legally, proffesionally, or ethically, to not reveal anything about it until the official announcement.

No sense puttin' da boyz on da spot. We shall all find out in due course.

Here's hopin' for the best.

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

AslanC Guest

Originally posted by Hugh Casey:
    Try not to badger ("We don' need no stinkin' badgers!") Don, Owen, Steve, or even the mysterious Dan Moppin about the GAMA announcement or the possible sale of ICON to Decipher. If they have any knowledge of it, they are most probably bound, either legally, proffesionally, or ethically, to not reveal anything about it until the official announcement.No sense puttin' da boyz on da spot. We shall all find out in due course.
    Awwwwwwwwww....but's it's a whole 15 days away!!!!!!!!!!!!....(Kicks at the dirt) Alright...But can we still engage in rampant specualtion?

The preceeding was a joke. Brought to you by the letter B

Talking

To misquote Data;

"Please, continue with the petty rampant speculation!"

I am a great sorcerer, but you may call me...
    Hugh.

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

Smile

[Begin rampant and completely unfounded speculation mode ]

*Queeg dons Karnak coat and hat*

The answers are:

1) Yes. Money, it's a gas. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

2) Yes. Come in here dear boys have a cigar, you're gonna go far!

3) Not a chance. The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and every day the paper boy brings more!

4) 42

*Queeg opens the envelope*

The questions are:

1) Has WotC sold the rights to ICON to Decipher?

2) Have former LUG staff been hired to write Trek games for Decipher?

3) Will Decipher arm wrestle Don into taking down the website?

4) What's the meaning to life, the universe, and everything?

[/End rampant and completely unfounded speculation mode ]

Floydishly yours,

LQ

Personally, the ideal situations would be that Decipher make the first new core rule book Star Trek: Voyager. Then in it they can print any changed rules from Icon, or if necessary the new game system rules, with conversion sheets for/to/from Icon.

That way, there will be four books, and maybe Decipher would have the rights to reprint the old books, if deemed necessary.

Thumbs up

Okay, Caretaker, that would be cool too.

Chris

------------------
    Shawks Haters Club! Check for Gills!

I would much rather see a single unified Star Trek RPG this time around. According to the LDs Back in the Day, they wanted to do this then, but Paramount insisted on keeping the titles as distinct games. If Paramount has softened on that stance, I'd love to see DecipherTrek take advantage of it so we have just one game.

Somebody asked about kill fees. There are a couple of answers to that. Traditionally, a "kill fee" is a contract clause in mundane journalism, where a writer agrees to write an article he's been approached to write and a magazine agrees to pay him something even if they elect not to print it after all. When a writer is paid a kill fee, it's in recognition for his time spent, and it officially means both "your work is rejected" and "your work is your property; we don't want it." Since the contract will always specify the pay rate for accepted work, any killfee'd work always reverts to the writer, by law. This prevents publishers from paying the cheaper killfee and then later "changing their mind" and publishing the material.

The above does apply to the WotC deal, as far as several unpublished freelance manuscripts are concerned. I and other writers recieved both our killfees and our rights, and they were even good enough to be explicit about it (even if it took them forever).

However, as with all things in gaming, lots of game publishers misuse the term, or at least apply their own spin to it. I mention this as an off-topic tangent, just in case there are any freelancers or would-be freelancers curious about it. Steve Jackson Games uses the phrase "killfee" to cover buyouts of manuscripts that they still intend to publish after development by a better writer! Provided such development really does occur (in which case the final book is only partly the work of the killfee'd author) this is certainly ethical, but is IS a different use of the term than is traditional in publishing. Other companies may use their own versions, but the ins and outs of SJG's habits I know all too well