Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Speculation on Decipher TrekRPG

AslanC Guest

Originally posted by Phantom:
    Prepares for the firestorm. Hey, AslanC any more room in that foxhole?
    Well it doesn't look that bad so far...Beer?

Okay true the important thing is the subject matter. If the books are deep and well written then they are gems unto themselves. But I need to see that kind of quality all over. And it isn't like there are not hordes of really talented black and white, 3d Graphic and paint artists out there who can do amazing stuff and are starving for work. So when I see sub-par artwork in a book, I can only think someone's friend got a job. Which is cool and all, but takes away from the overall product for me.

Cool

Hey guys,
    Check this out:
    (2/15 http://www.gamesunplugged.com/)
    Now, the question begs; is this story official, or are we still working in the shroud of rumor…
    (and if it is true, then we all have The Transformed Man and REG to thank:
    “To me, it only makes sense Decipher would approach former LUG employees and freelancers... they have no in-house RPG department, and there's a pool a highly qualified Trek game writers/developers that have suddenly become availible... it's a no-brainer.”
    “I agree. If the guys at Decipher are smart enough to pull of that scheme last summer, they should be smart enough to take advantage of the opportunity regarding WotC layoff.”

(Boy, I bet you wished for world peace instead. )

------------------
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Hmm . . . I sencerely hope that Decipher does go about producing a ST:RPG, however, I hope that they keep with a continuality idea and allow us to continue to use our LUG books and theirs without any major conflict in usage. I mean the system works, unless it can be improved (which it can be) don't change it.

As far as the CCG goes . . . I use to play . . . I like the system . . . but the newer decks just diluted it for me . . . so I stopped . . . and all those hundreds of cards that I have are now gathering dust at my friends house. However, I wouldn't trade them for anything short of a Return trip to Singapore ( I do have my dreams to you know :-D ).

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Cool

Well, I share everyone's hope with this likely acquisition of ICON and the old LUG staff by Decipher.
    Just as a reminder to all the gaming grognards out there, while we may like to snipe at WOTC for their hubris and snicker at their current dilemma, their surrender of the ICON license just shows how desparate they must be to show some viability to their parent Hasbro. Remember, if WOTC goes down, a lot of the gaming industry will follow into a Dark Age. While it may recover, it will take time.
    Decipher has always adhered to high production standards. I think the interior artwork for any future Trek RPG will be based around enhanced images, computer-generated & enhanced, such as those found in their newer CCG decks.

Charles

So is there any more word from Decipher on this, or is it still a largely unfounded rumour?

I'm hoping it's true. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Then again, we're well into 2001 now. Surely it can't be MUCh longer before Decipher makes some sort of official announcement?

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

Well, there hasn't been an official press release yet.

Word on the "street" is that they're waiting on GAMA. I don't have the past posts to back me up, but I believe we're looking at around March 15. I think.

.Sal

------------------
    Salinger/TheDuck

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck,
    and quacks like a duck...it's gotta be Salinger." -Quack!

"You're living in America/Leave your conscience at the tone."
    - Jonathan Larson, Rent

Red face

You're right... the countdown has begun and we're probably 2 days and 10 hours away from knowing the truth...

Unless, of cource, they decide to wait until Friday. I think that's when the show is over.

I'd try to be the first off the block, so hopefully Wednesday.

Well I really hope they buy the ICON system. I'd hate to see my ICON sourcebooks become obsolete.

But could we really be so lucky?

Roll on that official announcement. I think we'd all like to know what's going on.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

Alright guys, since we're speculating anyway...

what happens if Decipher *doesn't* pick up ICON? Will it be considered an open system? If so, I have some non-trek source-book ideas that I'd like to do; (and guess who I'm coming to first for collaborative help?)

Since this thread is rather unwieldy, and my question somewhat off-topic, I'm going to transfer this to a different thread.

Robert

To comment on the artwork, Decipher has done some pretty cool things with CGI on some of their cards, so We'll probably see some of that in the RPG books.

[This message has been edited by C. Huth (edited 03-14-2001).]

Talking

Being this the first day of the GAMA convention, and provided that the speculation of an announcement from Decipher will be fulfilled in this place, I'll open a new thread called 'Decipher revelations about TrekRPG' and comment from there... I hope this is an interesting week!

Mr. Duck, could you bring the padlock and close this thread? It's rather heavy now.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality