Thread: Questionn Regarding Decipher

Questionn Regarding Decipher

I do have a question about the RPG problems with Decipher. If they do indeed not produce any "additional" products, does this mean that Worlds will be canned, or will it be one of the last books to be published?

I found out that question was already answered in another forum. As I understand it, "Worlds" will still be published in 2004 (not sure when), but Decipher has no current plans to publish any more STRPG products this year. However, they do plan on releasing some free adventures on their web site.

Thank you very much

So, does anyone think we (the community of players) can do something to make Decipher keep up with the RPG line? I'm not new to RPGs, but am new to STRPG. I didn't think that Trek RPG wasn't doing well enough to have more support from Decipher.

Do petitions work? Can we send email to someone? Should we bother? Anyone have any ideas of what we can do to help?

Unhappy

I don't want to appear fatalistic, but no, I don't expect a petition will have any effect at all.

Lots of people (myself included) have posted (in various places) indicating that they e-mailed Decipher after one of the Net Reps suggested it be done when the game first started struggling.

It changed nothing and I've only seen one person state that they ever had a response!

Decipher haven't really given any indication that they listen to their customers, or that the rpg customer base is large enough to warrant paying it any attention in the first place.

I think we have to start accepting that the game lines are dead. Now its just a case of deciding wether that is important or not. Either you drop the game because you don't like running unsupported games or else you carry on regardless and use this forum in the same way that it was used after LUG Trek expired.

Actually I got a response to both of the emails I have sent. And I know that other ppl got responses as well.

Talking

Just out of interest, was it the standard "we haven't made our minds up yet" response or did it address your questions directly?

Well, at the following thread you will see the email reptilejk got (which is more interesting then mine ) and then the email I got -
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=9977

subcontracting?

how does subcontracting work? and will subcontracting mean a change in the game engine or will the game engine remain intact?

Subcontracting would normally mean that Decipher would select another vendor to complete the balance of its contract with Paramount (or, more precisely, with Viacom Consumer Products). Just as there is a contract between Paramount and Decipher spelling out what is to be done, how long the license is good, and what the payment terms are, so would there be a contract between Decipher and whoever.

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for a subcontracting solution. Chances are, if Decipher, with it's big shop ability to get printing cheap, can't make money, a small subcontractor can't either. Especially since Decipher's gonna take a little bit off the top for the privilege of managing them.

My guess would be they'll cease production, which will probably allow VCP to rip their license and re-assign it. If it chooses to expend the energy to do so.

If Decipher subcontracts, the system and mechanics probably wouldn't change; the subcontractor would simply produce the same books Decipher would have produced.

Since CODA belongs to Decipher, more than likely, a reassignment to another prime contractor would probably mean another new system.

The most likely candidate would be WoTC, as they are most capable of producing a slick product. But they already have Star Wars, and they don't have a large design department, and they may not be interested because Decipher snuck in and 'stole' the license from them when LUG was acquired -- at least one WoTC employee of that era held the opinion that Paramount did not deal "fairly" with WoTC.

Steve Jackson has too many irons in the fire, especially with their upcoming GURPS upgrade, and may not have the cashflow to pay a huge licensing fee.

Who does that leave who would be interested? White Wolf? Dunno about that... HERO Games -- too small and probably not interested.

My guess would be that there will be no new RPG for some time to come.

Originally posted by Fesarius
    I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for a subcontracting solution. Chances are, if Decipher, with it's big shop ability to get printing cheap, can't make money, a small subcontractor can't either. Especially since Decipher's gonna take a little bit off the top for the privilege of managing them.
    Ding! You highlight the big problem with farming it out even further. Matt already stated publically that Decipher shoped the line around once and was told "no thanks." It was a second tier publisher, too.

It's far from a done deal (sounds like Decipher still hasn't decided on the future of the line continuing at all) but every day they don't release something makes picking up where they left off that much harder...
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride