Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perdition's Flames!

Shirty is a British thing.

Thanks for the reply crow. I've got a friend in Sheffield who used to be in my gaming group. I've been trying to find folks in his area for him for ages. Guess the quest continues.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Exclamation

I'm sorry to have jumped down your throat. It was uncalled for and I apologize. Please note that I dislike editing out comments after-the-fact and consider it bad form; consider it a reminder of how not to respond.

As for the usual detractors who are playing "pile on" [points to corner], there's the door.

Tell you what, Scarecrow, I'll make you an offer: e-mail or post me the errors in the document that you found and I'll edit the PDF to correct them. I'll then share them publicly for anyone to download.

That's a lot more than Decipher would do!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Scarecrow, I think you caught Don on a bad day. I wouldn't sweat it.
    Thank you for the benefit of the doubt. I appreciate it (and it means a lot to me).
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    As for the usual detractors who are playing "pile on" [points to corner], there's the door.
    Don;

Don't take this the wrong way, but when I read this, I couldn't help but think of the one scene from "South Park":

News Announcer: The network has issued a statement:

F*** you.

That is all. Any comments can be directed to that brick wall over there.

(cut to shot of brick wall)

Everyone is entitled to a bad day, Don. Even you.

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Originally posted by Hugh Casey
    Everyone is entitled to a bad day, Don. Even you.
    I'm fairly certain there are some who disagree. Thanks for the sentiment, however.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

We're all entitled to our bad days. Sunday night shift was mine.

Seriously though, we all explode sometimes. It's no biggie if we recognise it and act accordingly. Heck, it's just life.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I too noticed several grammatical errors throughout the adventure (VERY cool adventure btw) and will attempt to re-read it and send in some corrections within the next day or two.

In the author's (Don's) defense, it isn't the job of a writer to proof-read and edit their own work, that is the job for an editor. As Don's says, Decipher took his "draft" and placed it without checking any of it or making any changes, which is really bad on their part. They should have proof-read it, checked it to the rules, and had a typesetter re-lay it out in a nifty format (Note: I am not knocking the adventure or Decipher, I'll take free adventures written in crayon if that is the format they were in).

But yeah, proofing your own work is almost harder than writing the story. Your mind skips over certain errors because it is anticipating what you are reading (since you wrote it). An editor, who usually has training and experience to compensate for this, is usually not involved in the writing process and is un-tainted by the brain's over-thinking.

I don't think the original poster ment anything more than what people say about the editors at WotC when they have errors in their products (but then again I'm VERY new here and don't know the history and/or feuds on these boards).

Sorry for the rambling, just had to add my two cents.

Originally posted by Sheridan
    I don't think the original poster ment anything more than what people say about the editors at WotC when they have errors in their products (but then again I'm VERY new here and don't know the history and/or feuds on these boards).
    Well put and I think you're absolutely right on all counts. I've been pretty thin-skinned and didn't take it well. I'll work on that.

If anyone wants to send me the errors they spot, I'll fix 'em and post a new PDF.

BTW, welcome to the boards!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    I'm sorry to have jumped down your throat. It was uncalled for and I apologize...

...Tell you what, Scarecrow, I'll make you an offer: e-mail or post me the errors in the document that you found and I'll edit the PDF to correct them. I'll then share them publicly for anyone to download.

That's a lot more than Decipher would do!
    Don, that's very gracious of you. Like I say, I quite understand, we all have days like that and there are no hard feelings.

As for correcting the errors. A generous offer. I'll see what I can do. Incidentally, were there meant to be maps with the scenario? I got the impression from some of the text that maps were being referred to. If there were, and if you'd like, I can knock some up to go with the edited scenario - I'm allready in the process of producing some Klingon miniatures for use with it - a couple of maps/deckplans won't go amiss here or there

Regards

Crow

Yes, there were maps, but you don't need them. However, Doug Burke was kind enough to post them; poke around <a href="http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9835">this thread</a> and you'll find 'em.

Got 'em. Cheers!

Crow

Originally posted by Sheridan
    I too noticed several grammatical errors throughout the adventure (VERY cool adventure btw) and will attempt to re-read it and send in some corrections within the next day or two.

In the author's (Don's) defense, it isn't the job of a writer to proof-read and edit their own work, that is the job for an editor. As Don's says, Decipher took his "draft" and placed it without checking any of it or making any changes, which is really bad on their part. They should have proof-read it, checked it to the rules, and had a typesetter re-lay it out in a nifty format (Note: I am not knocking the adventure or Decipher, I'll take free adventures written in crayon if that is the format they were in).

But yeah, proofing your own work is almost harder than writing the story. Your mind skips over certain errors because it is anticipating what you are reading (since you wrote it). An editor, who usually has training and experience to compensate for this, is usually not involved in the writing process and is un-tainted by the brain's over-thinking.

Sorry for the rambling, just had to add my two cents.
    Let me just jump in here and say that any grammatical or spelling erors in the text are most likely mine, not Don's. I'm notorious for typing my way into corners and when Don re-wrote the adventure for convention play, I'm sure some of my screw-ups could have been overlooked.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    ...when Don re-wrote the adventure for convention play, I'm sure some of my screw-ups could have been overlooked.
    Considering the speed with which - at least I understand - this adventure was put together, the typos and so forth are perfectly understandable. The onus, as many others have pointed out, was on Decipher to do whatever clean-up work might have been appropriate under the circumstances. After all, they did have the thing in their possession - untouched and gathering digital dust - for just under two years.

An adventure that takes place in the "Styx Rift" and a section titled "The Grand Illusion"?

You're dating yourselves!

I just dated myself, didn't I? Ah, crap!

Heh. There a re a few other references, too... :-D (All Don's work, BTW. He's a master of the inside reference.)
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.