Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andromeda?

Andromeda?

So, I have a handle on how most of the people on the Board feel about Trek, in all it's varieties, but what about that OTHER GR show out there, Andromeda (which is now on Sci-Fi)?

I watched the first couple of seasons religiously, but I missed a bunch, and now I can't make heads or tails of it!
    Some eps., it lookd like the Commonwealth was reformed, and the ship is crewed and well outfitted, others it back to the main cast making do with the stuff on hand.
    And they got rid of Worf...I mean Tyr. Yeah Tyr.
    And replaced him with the guy who is the decendant of Dylan's best friend.

Tricky's trivia: Another Roddenberry Show, Called Earth II , i think had a main character named Dylan Hunt!
    He was frozen for along time (sound familiar?), and tried to restore earth's civillization using his knowledge of 70's technology!

I loved Andromeda up until the point where Exec Producer Sorbo fired head writer Robert Hewlitt Wolfe; After the Wolfe written episodes and story arcs were completed, the show pretty much went downhill. . . especially after Keith Hamilton Cobb (Tyr) left. (Although I do like the actor that replaced him, Steve Bacic.)

Right now, I'm of the opinion that the best SF show on TV is Stargate SG-1.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Arrow

It is probably the only smart move they made in the post-Wolfe Andromeda series: to fill the departing Nietchzean Tyr Anasazi (out of Victoria by Barbarossa) with a Nietchzean Telemachus Rhade, descendent of Genghis Rhade, Dylan Hunt's first officer, friend, and betrayer (although a side story episode depicted him differently).

But yeah, it's more misses than hits.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Whoah, wait a minute. Rhade is back? That almost makes me want to tune in again.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Re: Andromeda?

Originally posted by Tricky
    Tricky's trivia: Another Roddenberry Show, Called Earth II , i think had a main character named Dylan Hunt!
    He was frozen for along time (sound familiar?), and tried to restore earth's civillization using his knowledge of 70's technology!
    There were two pilots: Genesis II - which had Mariette Hartley in - and Planet Earth. John Saxon played Dylan Hunt in the second, Alex Cord was DH in the first.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Arrow

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter

Whoah, wait a minute. Rhade is back? That almost makes me want to tune in again.
    Former admiral Rhade is now a lieutenant commander, and is a fugitive of the Commonwealth. He also sports a Worf-like goatee, but instead of a ridgehead, he has his boneblades. And Dylan Hunt is harboring him.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

http://home.att.net/~Paxteam21/G2/g2.html

http://home.att.net/~paxteam21/PE/pe.html

http://home.att.net/~PAXTEAM21/SNW/snw.html

Those links are for all three failed GR shows, two of which had a leader named Dylan Hunt (and some other names you might recognize)

For my money Andromeda was at its best with Oroborus. Losing Wolfe was a crippling blow to that show IMHO. Now it truely is Hercules In Space.

Also I groove on the Nietchzeans (love the culture and idea behind them, reminds me of Khan) but what is with those bone blades? Does anyone else find them cheesy?

Cheesy? Nah.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I thought those blades were a species weapon. I'm sure I remember seeing another Niet with them before.

Small nit-pick: I believe Dylan's XO was Gaharis Rhade. Could be wrong though.

Originally posted by Phantom

Small nit-pick: I believe Dylan's XO was Gaharis Rhade. Could be wrong though.
    Nope, you are right. It was Gaheris.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Let's be honest, friends: Andromeda has never been a good show. What it was from the start was a show with tremendous promise: intriguing and very different characters, a compelling futuristic premise, and a rich and complex new galaxy with a long history to be revealed. The show got off to a pretty rocky beginning -- the early episodes were full of corny hard-to-swallow dialogue and some debatable acting (especially by the guest stars). However, under R.H. Wolfe the series showed steady, gradual improvement up through the end of the 2nd season. Perhaps Wolfe's single greatest accomplishment was to avoid what most of us feared when we heard Kevin Sorbo was the star: he avoided making Hercules in space. By the end of the 2nd season, Andromeda still wasn't a "good" sci-fi show (remember the ridiculous Season 2 cliffhanger with Tyr and Harper captured in the Magog world ship?) compared to, say, ST:TNG or DS9, but it was at least on the right track.

The turning point came when Sorbo and his faction drove out R.H. Wolfe, so that they could turn the show in a more episodic, less arc-driven, action-oriented direction: in other words, Hercules in space. Since that time, the show has been on an uninterrupted decline. The show still has great characters, and the addition of Radhe into the crew to replace Tyr hasn't ruined anything. The weakest character by far is Dylan Hunt, who has declined from being a fairly complicated protagonist under Wolfe to being the cosmic nice-guy lady's man that Sorbo has made him. But, the biggest problem is with the jerky scripts that never make any sense, building into a jerky universe that no longer makes any sense. The Commonwealth is overthrown and re-established with such frequent regularity that I no longer pay any attention. The promise of Andromeda has been squandered, and its world no longer feels authentic or worth even keeping track of.

I concur with some other opinions given here: the best sci-fi series currently on the air is Stargate SG-1. It doesn't take itself all that seriously, which is both cute and sometimes disappointing. The plots often contain a few head-scratching elements, and the acting quality of the "extras" is often quite feeble, but overall the series consistantly puts out strong, interesting episodes that, without technically using an arc, feel cumulative in building an authentic world.
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    Ok, Purple or Gold Trance?
    Strangely enough, a friend and me got into this debate: Gold Trace has an edge to her, kinda dangerous.
    But Purple Trance was sweet, sorta innocent and yet seemingly a cosmic entity. Oh, yeah. The Tail.
    so my money is on purple Trance.

Oh, about the Bone Blades: How do those make a Neit. superior?
    I know they are genetically better than us, strength, endurance, dexterity, all the other D&D Attributes.
    But how do having spines on your wrist make you a better survivor?
    I always thought that each Pride/Clan of Neit. should have their own adaptation: Boneblades on one, maybe a hardened carpace or extra lung on another.