Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decipher Site is Down.

Decipher is down again.

Yes, I noticed as well; I decided to take a gander this morning and saw that wonderful "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" result, which now seems to have become Decipher's corporate catchphrase.

If Decipher is doing upgrades/clean-ups/what have you to their site, it makes sense to do it on a Sunday when the bulk of the traffic is down. Don used to do the same thing here when circumstances required it. However, one thing I always appreciated is that Don would give us a roughly three-day advance warning about the situation - "Site will be down for the weekend; upgrades in progress; expect everything to be back on line by Monday" - or the like. Decipher, in line with the level of custormer service/concern it's established over the last two years, can't even seem to get it together enough to put out a general advisory about periodic interruptions.

Sigh. Like everyone else, I suspect, I started out with great hopes for DecipherTrek...at this point, I'm just praying they'll get the last half-dozen or so books out - faint hope that it may be - and we can bid this doomed corporate romance the brusque farewell it deserves.

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    Yes, I noticed as well; I decided to take a gander this morning and saw that wonderful "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" result, which now seems to have become Decipher's corporate catchphrase.

You are right, this seems to be their new corporate catchphrase. It even applies to all pages of the books they were intending to have published by now.

Understanding of the customers' needs and wishes can (to a certain degree) make up for lack of competence. Unfortunately the people at Decipher seem to have neither. But what can you expect from a bunch of people working on a money making scheme involving the seduction of immature kids into spend their parents' money for a few worthless pieces of colored paper.

If Decipher is doing upgrades/clean-ups/what have you to their site, it makes sense to do it on a Sunday when the bulk of the traffic is down. Don used to do the same thing here when circumstances required it. However, one thing I always appreciated is that Don would give us a roughly three-day advance warning about the situation - "Site will be down for the weekend; upgrades in progress; expect everything to be back on line by Monday" - or the like.
    Speaking of which, I'm planning on doing a number of upgrades next weekend, server-side. I'll shut down the forum as a precaution (so as not to damage the DB) but the server as a whole will be bounced a few times, too.

Kernal, PHP, MySQL, and CP upgrades. The usual boring stuff.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Speaking of which, I'm planning on doing a number of upgrades next weekend, server-side. I'll shut down the forum as a precaution (so as not to damage the DB) but the server as a whole will be bounced a few times, too.

What are the specs of the server anyway?

WHat OS?

Originally posted by Lt Cmdr Matt
    What are the specs of the server anyway?

WHat OS?
    Sorry, not for public consumption for security reasons.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Sorry, not for public consumption for security reasons.
    Oh yeah? Well, maybe this'll change your mind...

(cracks knuckles, then slips on black leather glove and presses down between fingers)

Hold his head up, Matt...

Why do you want to know?
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Not even down yet and already I am going through D.T's! What am I gonna do all weekend?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Heh. Simple: Go to the Decipher site (a.k.a., the No-Frills Trek-RPG.net Coda Forum), register on the Trek message board under the same name you use here, and then we thread 'em to death for the weekend like a Black Rebels Motorcycle Club group riding into a sleepy little town. Don can be Marlon; I'll be Lee Marvin. They'll never know what hit 'em.

I signed up. Will be spending the weekend on the Decipher boards until the return of TrekRPGNet Boards.

Man those Decipher boards are odd. . .is that the way all message boards were back in the day? I guess Don really has been spoiling us with these boards!

Thanks Don!
    Last edited by redwood973; 04-16-2004 at 06:33 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Originally posted by redwood973
    . . .is that the way all message boards were back in the day?
    Although I'm unfamiliar with exactly what the outlays for prototype-style message boards were like - the first time I ever signed on to the Internet was November '99 - from what I've read and heard, yes, Decipher is pretty much par for the course for the state of the art as of, say, '92-4. Purely text-based messaging; no avatars, no doo-dads, no neat graphics.

While I don't think it's ever going to win any awards for Most Innovative Design or the like, the least you can say is that it's functional: it does what it's supposed to, and that's about all we can ask from it.

Heh. Simple: Go to the Decipher site (a.k.a., the No-Frills Trek-RPG.net Coda Forum), register on the Trek message board under the same name you use here, and then we thread 'em to death for the weekend like a Black Rebels Motorcycle Club group riding into a sleepy little town. Don can be Marlon; I'll be Lee Marvin. They'll never know what hit 'em.
    Wow if you guys call Marlon and Marvin, that leaves nothing for us.

Unless we can choose from other biker movies, not just The Wild One?

What do a manic-depressive robot and a Wayans brother have to do with motorcycle gangs? (*THUNK!* Ow, that hurt! Who threw that?)

I went over to register - I'm not into CODA but there are a few interesting conversations going on that are generically about Trek gaming - then I found out that a mailing address is a required field. Nope! Not a chance.

Too bad, there were a couple or three good threads...