Angry Attention Moderators

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Angry

poster

Re: Attention Moderators

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    You go around closing threads because they might get ugly and soon you don't have a board at all. Lemme say this: You sit here and let Trek bashing threads go on for pages on pages yet we try to stimulate some semi-serious discussion and less than a full page into it someone closes it because it "might" get ugly. What the heck. Severe double standard there.

Or maybe the problem is we have a child who isn't of legal age yet moderating the forum.

Either way I'm asking that our thread be re-opened. If and when it gets "ugly" then close it.
    Hell I know that lately, the forums here are getting anal-retentive lately but this is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS! Pre-emptive thread closing? BEcause it "Might" get ugly? SHHEESH!!

I also agree with Liz on this...pre-emptive thread closings just because a mod decides it MIGHT get ugly is basically butting into a discussion; it is arbitrary, rude and utterly uncivilized. Also such actions have the detrimental effect of chilling discussion; if a thread can be closed for pre-emptive reasons, then no one will want to discuss anything at all!

Also as Liz noted, there is a double standard here....people can bash Trek for a long number pf posts without a peep with no action taken AT ALL, but a semi-serious discussion gets throttled at a mod's whim? This smacks of serious hypocripsy.

IMHO a thread should ONLY be closed as a last resort AFTER a "cease and desist" warning has been issued for a thread that is getting ugly. I am sure in most cases a warning will suffice to cool down most threads getting out of hand. A thread should only be closed down if things STAY ugly.
    Last edited by Highway Hoss; 04-07-2004 at 03:51 PM.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

I think I have to agree on that one. I'm not sure age has anything to do with the ability to moderate efficiently, but Hoss phrased exactly what my concerns on the subject were, which are that basically, closing a thread after a few replies (which were more silly than inflamming BTW) just because the subject could have degenerated may be a bit exaggerated.

And now I'm off to bed trying to avoid multi lines sentences...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

To be honest, it's a bloody stupid thread, that is almost certain to get ugly at some stage. But so what?

I don't think the thread warranted closing. But then I don't think attacking Matt was the way to proceed either. A polite request that he rethink yes, but insulting him? That isn't right either.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

poster

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    To be honest, it's a bloody stupid thread, that is almost certain to get ugly at some stage. But so what?
    If moerators locked threads because they thought they were stupid, this would be one DEAD BOARD.

Yes, hence my agreeing that it shouldn't have been closed, despite my feelings about it.

And regardless of your issues, that doesn't mean you can't remain civil. The comments above are far from civil. And personally, I think if you have a problem with Matt, you should take it up privately with him and Don.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

This may not make me very popular, but I think since the thread was just begging to be shut down anyway (jokingly or not), Matt probably did the right thing. Sure, he could have let it go for a while, but come on! Even my first instinct on seeing the thread was nothing good would come of it. Either it would get ugly, or would degenerate too far the other direction.

And as for implying that Matt's age might be part of the issue, that's irrelevant in this case and you know it. It was a cheap shot and nothing more. I'd like to say I would have expected better, but on the whole, not so much...

In the end, if you disagree with Matt's decision, you're more than welcome to take it up with him and with Don. A public round of insults and exaggeration ("semi-serious", my eye!) is not the best (or even most mature) way of handling it.

As an afterthought, it also seems bad form to me to predict a thread will be closed and then get angry when it is, guys...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man
    This speeks of lack of maturity.
    No, Styro, it speaks of an over-reaction to hoping too many times that a thread will remain civil and having it turn into a flame-fest. It's a fine line to walk, and this crap isn't going to help any...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

poster

If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

Just being pre-emptive.

Hey Styro, are the flare boards still a mutual admiration society? I haven't been there in months.

First "none 'o THEM are getting my ubergeeky ship list, that's for sure" of Two
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    This may not make me very popular, but I think since the thread was just begging to be shut down anyway (jokingly or not), Matt probably did the right thing. Sure, he could have let it go for a while, but come on! Even my first instinct on seeing the thread was nothing good would come of it. Either it would get ugly, or would degenerate too far the other direction.
    Oh? Since when is a thread begging to be shut down? Seems to me the only time that would happen is if it became a full fledged flame fest and the perpetrators refuse the cease and desist order.

So you think "nothing good would come of it"? A lot of threads on this board could be descibed the same way but I don't see them being locked down because of that.

"...Either it would get ugly, or would degenerate too far the other direction." Can you say that for certain...seems to me that is being a tad premature. ANY thread can get ugly if you have someone sufficiently immature or stupid posting to it. Yes, certain subjects can inflame passions, but shutting down such threads because they MIGHT get ugly smacks of heavy-handed overreaction...ESPECIALLY when someone starts bashing Trek in an especially egerious way and no mod shuts it down. This comes across as having inconsistent of arbitrary standards.

poster

poster