Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention Moderators

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    Heck, that would kill Flare in less than Plank-time.
    You say that like it'd be a bad thing.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!
    As an afterthought, it also seems bad form to me to predict a thread will be closed and then get angry when it is, guys...
    Completely agree with Doug on this one.

Go play with topics like this somewhere else.

Brian K

Originally posted by Highway Hoss
    If moerators locked threads because they thought they were stupid, this would be one DEAD BOARD.
    Pretty much has been for me since they shut down any kind of political/religious threads and the CODA stuff has dried up.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Brian K
    Completely agree with Doug on this one.

Go play with topics like this somewhere else.

Brian K
    I couldn't agree more, Brian. The lack of maturity angle is one I find particularly puzzling.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Speaking from a bit of experience, I can understand closing down a thread as a pre-emptive action to an impending problem. Moderators generally have a good feeling on when something is going to be a problem, and know the best way to deal with those things. Granted, sometimes they can make and error, but posting a new thread where you insult the moderator is NEVER a good thing to do, and certainly doesn't help your case.

So while I did not see the thread in question, I would tend to lean on the side of the moderators. I would also think that if the moderators WERE heavy handed, a couple of people here certainly would have burned their bridges and been booted. Since that hasn't happened, I think any claims for lack of maturity are unfounded.

First of all, I have to agree with Liz, Styro, et al, that the thread was shut down too quickly. I think that if even one reply with insulting, hurtful, or otherwise personally offensive content (not religiously or politically offensive... grow up and grow a pair, people... if you are going to be offended by someone who disagrees with you, you have no place in a democracy!) had occured, shut it down immeadiately! But to do so pre-emptively was wrong.

On the other hand, I have to agree that Liz and Styro were a little over the top in attacking Matt (and whether you intended it to be or not, it does come off as an attack, guys). I do think that Matt is owed an apology.

And if you have a problem with the way Matt or anyone else moderates the boards, then take it up with that moderator or Don. That is the best way, and really the only appropriate way, to handle it.

Just my twin coppers... YMMV.

Hugh
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Exclamation Moderation

It’s been awhile since we’ve had any kind of problems around here, something I attribute to our good moderation, so with that said I’ll address these comments publicly to a limited extent and then close the thread.
    • First, all discussions regarding TrekRPGNet policy or moderation should be taken up with me privately via e-mail. My address is in my profile and there is the “contact us” link at the bottom of the page that gets to me as well. I received no PMs on this issue or e-mails and a public tirade is not the way to voice your dissatisfaction.
    • Insulting other users or moderators is not acceptable behavior.
    • Moderators are given broad discretionary powers in their duties and encouraged to think for themselves. Occasionally they make mistakes and being that they are not compensated for their time, I think it is only fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    • Regarding the thread in question, if it is found that the thread was reported by a user as objectionable then it will remain closed and the thread starter will receive a warning. Otherwise, I’ll consider restoring the thread.
    • Inquiries to become a moderator should be directed to me privately, including why you wish to be a moderator and what you feel qualifies you to do so. I re-evaluate the moderator positions about twice a year.
    • TrekRPGNet has a policy of not discussing disciplinary action or moderation publicly.
    In closing, I will be looking into the matter but the fact that the entire exchange was orchestrated to a limited extent is not lost upon me.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride