Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Apprentice

Question The Apprentice

Anyone else watch this? I started watching about three weeks ago and am hooked! I really find it interesting.

The thing I like the most is that the "game" isn't about eating the most bugs or swimming to that flag over there, it's about teams putting real business practices into motion. (My undergraduate degree is in Business Information Systems and graduate an MBA.)

The first reality show worth watching!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Arrow

Yep, it's the expose of the cutthroat corporate culture.

Too bad about Troy. I'm guessin' he's not as happy as a puppy with two ... well, you know.

So, what's the deal with Omarosa?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Saw a preview...Troy is coming back!

I never saw the episodes with Omarosa so I don't know what her deal is.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Honestly, if it says "reality show" in its description, I avoid it like the plague.

I get enough "reality TV" watching football, baseball, hockey, lacross, rugby and cricket.

I don't need such dren as Super Fear Survivor Apprentices in Love. It keeps the networks away from putting out good sci-fi shows, like Firefly.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Omarosa is a former(?) goverment employee who is a ball buster and IMHO has a god complex. She thinks she's better then everyone else and if they have any kind of weakness they should be stomped on like a bug.

During one of the missions, whre they had to renevate and rent an apartment she was hit on the head with a little bit of plaster. According to her her head hurt and she had to "rest", but the camera also found her playing basketball on the street a few hours later.

I don't mean any offense in this, but she may have talent and drive, her personality is something left to be desired. She shows that there are people out there who think the should get ahead simply because of their race instead of what they can do.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

Ahem.

I would just like to state, categorically, that I do not watch these kinds of shows. As has been said in Dilbert, I'd rather staple a skunk to my forehead and attend a trade show for banjo makers.

However, that being said, I heard on Toronto's AM 640 today that apparently this Omarosa person worked in four different positions for the Federal government during the Clinton administrations, and was summarily dismissed from all of them. Don't know the lady from your basic hole in the ground, but you've gotta be doing something seriously wrong in order to get bounced around like a dot-jom ball during that short a period.

Again: I don't watch the show. I'm just sayin', is all.

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Honestly, if it says "reality show" in its description, I avoid it like the plague.

I get enough "reality TV" watching football, baseball, hockey, lacross, rugby and cricket.

I don't need such dren as Super Fear Survivor Apprentices in Love. It keeps the networks away from putting out good sci-fi shows, like Firefly.
    I have to say I agree with Navy on this one. Though I don't like football or hockey, and we don't usually get lacross, rugby or cricket on network...well, 1/6 ain't bad.

But everything he said about "reality" based tv is pretty much how I think as well.

See above. "The Apprentice" isn't so much a reality show as an exercise in seeing real-life business principles put into action. It's pretty darn fascinating.

And Omarosa screwed her team pretty good tonight.

Also, I think D.S. is a closet fan.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Is there any reality in the "reality" shows?

I still pile it in with them, however. :shrug: Each to his own.

This is the only one I've really gotten into in a while.

The last one was Murder in Small Town X in '01. (which is tragic in it's own way since the winner, a fireman from NY died in 9/11). With that she was fake to a degree. The "murder" was set up with the priicple players. Well, actually I liked Joe Scmoo too.

When Leno was talking to Troy the other night he made the comment that the boardroom scenes at the end are actually hours, not just 10 minutes like they show.

Cool

Originally posted by Don Mappin

And Omarosa screwed her team pretty good tonight.
    They should just make a reality show around Omarosa. I swear to all that is Sacred, she's like the next Anna Nicole Smith.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion she didn't planned the sabotage on her own. I think she's a mole for the show's producers, or Trump.

P.S. Don, please tell me you did not order those "You're Fired" gears (shirts, mugs, etc.)?
    Last edited by REG; 04-09-2004 at 04:07 AM.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG

Although I have a sneaking suspicion she didn't planned the sabotage on her own. I think she's a mole for the show's producers, or Trump.
    I have to agree, expially with the previews for the next show. I think Trump or someone has put in obsitcles to see how well the leaders think under pressure and react to it all going out of control.

Originally posted by REG

P.S. Don, please tell me you did not order those "You're Fired" gears (shirts, mugs, etc.)?
    That's possible, I'll grant you. Personally, I think she's simply incompetent. But, with your line of thinking, who is the mole on Bill's team? (To make it a fair test you need a mole on both teams.)

No merchandise but I'm thinking about my own new line of products: "You're Banned!"

Trump really put the smackdown on George for trying to open his mouth!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by Don Mappin

That's possible, I'll grant you. Personally, I think she's simply incompetent. But, with your line of thinking, who is the mole on Bill's team? (To make it a fair test you need a mole on both teams.)
    I didn't really focus on Bill's team. I was kinda rooting for Kwame despite his laidback style, which is why Omarosa is leaving a lot of skidmarks on his face by last night's showing.

If she is truly incompetent, to be displayed like that on TV is pretty much a professional career suicide. Then again, it is fortunate that many corporate execs don't watch TV.

No merchandise but I'm thinking about my own new line of products: "You're Banned!"
    Please tell me you did not take weeks to think of that catchphrase ... worse yet, practice saying that in front of a mirror (hand gesture and all).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    Please tell me you did not take weeks to think of that catchphrase ... worse yet, practice saying that in front of a mirror (hand gesture and all).
    Well...my first name is Donald.

Contributor, Gnome Stew