Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Game?

*Stupid question from someone ignorant of Star Trek RPGs*

Is CODA the Decipher RPG? And is it true they're not going to develop it anymore? If not, is someone else going to make a new Trek RPG? Who?

Originally posted by Megamanfan
    Is CODA the Decipher RPG? And is it true they're not going to develop it anymore? If not, is someone else going to make a new Trek RPG? Who?
    Yes, Decipher, Inc. is responsible for the CODA RPG system, which is used for their Star Trek and LOTR games.

Are they going to develop it any further? They haven't given official word yet, but my guess is no.

Will someone else make a new Trek RPG? If Decipher doesn't do any more, I would think there's still a little blood left in the Star Trek stone that could be squeezed out by another RPG company.

Best Trek RPG

I also cut my TREK RPG teeth on FASA, and to me it will always be the most complete RPG because of all the content created for it. The percentile system made the most sense of the gaming systems out at the time (early D&D rules, SFB, etc.). IMHO, the starship combat system combined the best of SFB with FASA's 'ease of use'.

I didn't play ICON, though I thought that having separate RPGs for the different TREKs was odd. Combining them seemed to make more sense.

I like CODA (Decipher) because it's similar to the d20 system, and I use CODA today. Creating characters can be tedious, though the char. generators speed that up. And both the PG and NG could use more concise character generation and combat summaries.

Bottom line: CODA works for me, though FASA will always be special. I use FASA's content in my current series where possible.

Behind not one, but /two/ of those glass thingies.
    None of the above.

I abhor the CODA system, mostly because it's a half-assed attempt at being D20 without actually being D20. It tries to hit the same simplicty-with-customizability mark as D20, but falls down flat. Frankly, I would have prefered it as D20 than CODA.

I have played, and enjoyed, the Icon version of the game. If I had to choose one of the three published systems, I could would be it.

I have never played the FASA system, but I have read it. FASA is pretty well know for complex systems. Some of them work, like Shadowrun, others don't. With only reading, I think FASA's Trek system probably falls into the "don't" category.

I'm not currently running it, mostly because it isn't finished, but I'm working on a set of Fuzion-based rules for Star Trek. Fuzion is a free metasystem, a system intended to be used to create your own system. It has elements of R. Talsorian's Interlock system (CP2020) and Hero Game's Champions system. Bubblegum Crisis, Victoriana, and Segoku are three other games that are Fuzion-based, if anybody cares to take a look at the underlying mechanics.
    Timothy J. Lanza
    "Logic gives man what he needs,
    Magic gives man what he wants." - Unknown

Having played ICON and FASA versions I can only comment on those two.

FASA:
    Possibly just about the easiest game I have ever played. It probably helped that it was a ROLE playing game as opposed to ROLL playing, but hey, I can only go on what I see. Skill rolls, combat, and everything else go on d%. No drama die, no dramatic failure (but failures possible), just easy fun. Damage was sorted out on d10s or multiples thereoff, and you were either injured, or unconcious. No quibbling, and 'resistance' to damage. A smack in the teeth was a smack in the teeth! The Starship Combat Simulator was fun too. I have always been a sucker for props, so, short of everyone having real sliders or touchscreen controls, this was the next best thing! I cut my SciFi RPG teeth on this game, and loved it.

ICON:
    Only played this a few times. Whilst it is more flexible that FASA, I did not like it quite so much. I didn't like the skill rolls, with one die being a drama die, even if you only had one die to roll etc etc. I quite liked the combat resolution in it, and the wound levels etc. Wound resistance whilst good for a role playing perspective doesn't seem too realistic to me. I mean, a Klingon smacking ya with a Bat'Leth is gonna hurt ANY human. More muscles doesn't mean more resistance to damage, at least that's the way I see it. But, I understand it being there and why. We never played any ship-to-ship rules, so cant comment on that.

(As a gaming group we have been on a retro kick recently, starting with original AD&D: DMG, PH and MM. Our next one is gonna be FASA Trek. Maybe I am just missing my youth?)

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!