Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decipher Revelations about TrekRPG

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    At this point, the Decipher Trek rules are NOT (not, not, not) going to include or use the Spacedock rules for starship combat. Those rules are my property, and they haven't approached me about buying or otherwise using them. It's my understanding from speaking with Christian that Decipher doesn't want anything that complex; they're perfectly content to let me go on providing complex ship stats to the hard-core fans on my own time if I'm so inclined (and I am ).

The Decipher ship rules will probably be somewhat more refined and better than the basic LUGTrek ship rules, but they aren't going to be anywhere near the level of SD.

Steve Long
    Well it was just a guestimate!

But there was mention of refined combat rules for ships. But as you said a system somewhere between basic and SD could work quite well to.

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

Does this mean they will reprint all the book that went out of print before we could by them in the UK. I hope so.... but if not lets hope they don't keep us waiting to long (no offense guys, i'm just the impaitent type).

Anyway it can only be good news for all.

Smile

here here . . . three chears for the continuation of ST:RPG, may it live forever with the hearts of us fans and gamers at its center.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Exclamation

There will be no reprints of prior LUG product.

Think it through.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Think it through.

[/B]
    Okay.

The pain, the pain! (Grabs head)

Although I wouldn't mind buying a bound version of Spacedock, three cheers for Steve for continuing to support the system. And Don for layout. (Does Dan Moppin rate a cheer, even one? )

I promise not to nag about SRM:TOS.... Much!

Think it through.

I'm done thinking, and it doesn't seem that clear cut to me, unless you know something you're not letting on. We still haven't been given official word on whether Decipher is buying (or wants to buy, or will be permitted to buy) the rights to that material from WotC. If WotC does wish to sell it (no official word) and Decipher does wish to buy it (no official word) then there's no reason at all not to bring some of that material back into print, unless Paramount would object (no official word), even if it's repurposed to a non-Icon game system (no official word).

So ... unless I'm missing some official words, it doesn't seem as absolute as all that.

This is one of the few bits of good gaming news I've heard this year.

Any plans on the format of the main rulebook? I know it increases the costs, but I'd love to see a hardback.

As for me, I'm still wondering whether this might affect the fate of previously planned -- but never published -- supplements.

Long awaited supplements that many of us would love to see.

Such as the Bajoran one.
    And the Mirror, Mirror one.
    And the Klingon one.

Is there any chance any of these might still come out, even possibly tweaked a bit for Icon 2.0?

As for my Bajoran Occupation supplement, within a week or two I'm hoping to have the first draft finished (and e-mailed to another member of this board who graciously volunteered to edit it). Although the supplement contains an adventure written for the Icon system, the bulk of it is a 50+ page overview of the Bajoran Occupation, written as a text supplement for a Starfleet Academy history class. As such, it intentionally won't contain any Icon-specific info, which hopefully would make it valuable as background for scenarios using any rules system.

I'll keep you all posted!

------------------
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Eris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rana naz’g ol resu ji joreen."
    (It is the unknown that defines our existence)
    -- Bajoran proverb
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question

Originally posted by Sjohn:
    Think it through.

I'm done thinking, and it doesn't seem that clear cut to me, unless you know something you're not letting on.
    Humm. Actually, I don’t. Well, I guess I do, but not entirely on this issue. Taking what I do know plus a bit of logic and business sense, leads me to the ultimate conclusion that there will not be any reprints of LUG product.

However, far be it of me to dissuade people from retaining hope that there will be reprints, that Icon will be purchased, or that come next month TBG and the Klingons will be appearing on store shelves throughout the country.

Back to work!

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 03-18-2001).]

However, far be it of me to dissuade people from retaining hope that there will be reprints, that Icon will be purchased, or that come next month TBG and the Klingons will be appearing on store shelves throughout the country.

Now you're just being rude.

I'm not trying to paint or maintain any such ridiculous fantasies, and you know it ... But, partly due to recent email conversations with Certain Unnamed People closer to this than you or I, I consider any "Absolutely, Objectively Not and It's Obvious If You Just Think About It" implications to be premature and not a little snobbish.

I don't think reprints are likely. But, so far, I've seen nothing that places them firmly in the category of impossible. And unless I've been lied to by Certain People (it wouldn't be the first time), any such placement is, for now at least, inaccurate.

Anyways, if it all pans out in the end, who says Decipher NEEDS to do book reprints NOW? I mean, as far as I can tell, the license will give Decipher rights for the RPG for a period of a few years.

Once they get established, Decipher could reprint some LUG books down the road a ways.

You know, I've been puzzling over this for some time now... will Decipher reprint any of the Last Unicorn Games materials?

Much as I'd like to believe that some of that material may see reprinting (or first printing in some cases), it does seem somewhat like a pipedream. It also seems that Don and Sjohn have some inside information (wich makes sense considering that they are both insiders) relating to what, where, and when.

I am somewhat distressed at the level of angst and anxiety that seems to plague this topic. Either Decipher will reprint older materials or they will not. Is it fun to speculate? Of course. It is also counterproductive, however, to beat this dead horse.

Does it matter if there is a republishing of "Holodeck Adventures" or "The Way of D'era"? Perhaps to some. If this turns out not to be the case, however, I am certain that similar avenues wil eventually be pursued. It only makes sense. Otherwise Decipher will be ignoring a significant amount of Star Trek material (i.e. Romulans, Klingons, holograms, TNG, DS9, etc.), and that would just be silly.

Having said that, there's no guarantee that the material published regarding the Romulans, Klingons, and so forth would match with the LUG material, but, considering that many of the authors are the same, it only makes sense.

I was really pissed when WotC came in and bought my favorite RPG company, and I pissed and moaned about it at the time. I must admit that I felt a sense vindication when Paramount yanked the license from them.

The fact of the matter is that now the former LUG folks are fairly certain to be producing new Star Trek materials that will undoubtedly either be based on the ICON system (either in name or spirit) or will easily convert to said system. Even if the original stuff is never reprinted, I find it hard to believe that any materials produced to replace (or supplement) them wouldn't be just as good (if not better) since they're coming from the same guys!

So I guess what I'm saying is that because no one is talking, there is no reason to continue the storm of neuroses that seems to be plaguing many ST:RPG gamers (and designers).

In the immortal words of the Beatles, "Let it be."

mactavish out.

P.S. Having said all of that, I, too, would like to see some reprints... my books are all getting tattered from use and I wouldn't mind replacing some of them (though my Holodeck Adventures is still in pristine condition!).

There aren't going to be any re-prints of any existing LUG books.

Steve Long

[This message has been edited by Sjohn (edited 03-18-2001).]

There aren't going to be any re-prints of any existing LUG books.

Ah, so Christian was lying to string me along. Figures. Well, tell the pigfuc*er from me that I won't be writing for him.

And it certainly doesn't excuse Don being a snot.