Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Decipher Revelations about TrekRPG

AslanC Guest

Wish list;

1] 1 Core Book
    2] Series/Era Sourcebooks
    3] Player's Guide
    4] Various source books, including a new Andorain book (sorry just didn't care for Amoung the Clans that much, I mean the ICe bound Andorians is old and never been confirmed ever on screen. Why can't they be from a Jungle planet? Or a water world? Etc...).
    5] Above all else a minor Races source book with even tiny enteries for every Alien we have seen in the background and what have you
    6] Ship Recognitions Manuals with multiple angle views of the ships.
    7] Miniatures, ships and people
    8] Better artwork and more images from the Movies/TV Shows

I am all about this new game, even if it isn't LUG. I supported FASA-Trek, Prime Directive and LUG-Trek. I will support the new one as well. I love Star Trek and I love Roleplaying...so I guess I kinda have to

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Star Trek:Strange New Worlds;
    http://www.geocities.com/aslan_collas/
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

Hard to confirm anything about the Andorians race or culture. Since the writers only seem to use them for the bases of says and really silly jokes..."Andorian Blues"...Give me a break. The only Andorian character, as far as I know anyway, that will have any kind of recurring role in anything Star Trek is the new Science Officer on DS9 in that new series of novels that will be staring in a month or so.

As for Amoung the Clans, one of the best sourcebooks I have read for any game. IMHO of course.

AslanC Guest

I totally understand what you are saying, and I am not saying AMoung The Calns was a bad book by any stretch of the imagination. I am jsut saying for me I would rather have seen a new and fresh take on the Andorians instead of the old "they are from an ice world" angle.

Still maybe that's the way Paramount wanted it. *shrug*

But this is off topic

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

Talking

Well, I'm stoked at all this news. I want to add my 2 cents. (whether its wanted or not)

1) Rules = As I've said before, Icon is my favorte game system in recent years. The LUG crew did a great job with it. Since there will be no reprints of the old material, I hope that the new Star Trek RPG will be an ICON 2. ICON is good, but there are some things that really need to be cleaned up (like Edges and some of the advantages). As for some other brand new set of rules, I guess I'll just let out a sigh and wait and see.

2) Starship Combat = I agree. Starship Combat needs to be streamlined. However, I hope that it isn't changed too much. ICON Trek rules were the first ones where my players got really engaged in the idea of starship combat in an RPG. There is something about the feel of it (like the rest of ICON) that just seems right. However, the rules really need to be changed to where Galaxy class starships at full shields don't get blasted to scrap in a single round.

3) Corebook = I'm for the idea of a single corebook. The thing I don't like is that a single corebook would probably focus entirely on the TNG era. Since I like Trek but dislike the TNG era, it's one of those things that's a win/lose proposition. Still, the LUG crew made the DS9 book interesting. That's a feat considering that I judge DS9 to be the second worst Star Trek series.
    Hopefully, since Decipher wants to aim the book at a larger audience, it won't have as large of a price tag. I'd probably still pay $35 for a book of the quality of the TNG or DS9 corebooks, but I'm not excited about that price point. Needless to say, I'm not excited about a $40 or higher one either. Yeah, call me cheap all ya want, but that's the way I feel.

4) Format = While the LUG books were nice and visually attractive, I'd much prefer that a new Trek RPG would lay off of the glossy pages. They aren't highligher or notation friendly. Also, while I do like the way the DS9 book looks, there are times when that spiffy background design really makes it hard for me to read the text.
    I'm not saying to lose the color art and the pretty looks. What I'm saying is that I personally would prefer it if the new Trek books were more friendly towards casual use as opposed to being something of a coffee table art book.

------------------
    Gabriel Alexander Vampyre

Besides the point but it may not be that bad for Sjohn.

He made another post 2hrs later and was quite civil.

Here's hoping he'll stay on.

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

To me, the equation is simple: WOTC needs cash. Decipher needs to hit the ground running with ST:RPG. What is the best way to do this? Simple: WOTC sells Decipher ICON, and rights to all existing materials (reprint rights for old stuff, and rights to the stuff ready to print that didn't make it to the printer).

Result? WOTC gets cash, and is happy. Decipher gets a HUGE head start on it's tenure as Trek RPG license holder and is happy. The fans get the MU Supplement, Klingon Box Set, Security Handbook, et al, and are happy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is the best solution for all.

Then again, maybe business major types think differently than the rest of us. . .?

------------------
    Deo Vindice!

Cool

All this angst and flame and speculation, and people STILL aren't getting to the heart of the matter! No one has had the nerve, or the guts, or the gall to ask the truly crucial question, the one that will determine whether this latest Trek RPG rises to glory or falls by the wayside with all those previous incarnations. I understand. It's a tough question and there's never an easy answer. But someone HAS to address the issue! Lemme take a stab at it...

Will this new LUG/Decipher Trek team finally give the fans what they've REALLY wanted all along?

A SHELIAK BOX SET!?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sheliak Bob:
    Will this new LUG/Decipher Trek team finally give the fans what they've REALLY wanted all along?

A SHELIAK BOX SET!?
    </font>
    Not until Anarchy Bob and I get what we want: The Tholian Sourcebook!

Personally, I don't see the reprint of any of the LUG books as a wise business decision. What I see as possible is the purchase of the LUG/ICON copyrights and materials, and base the new RPG in the old universe, thus releasing new books with a revamped system, but with the same basic perspective, to keep the LUGTrek vision in this new generation. The ones who don't want to purchase the new books would only need the new rules (and maybe wanting to buy the new Core Books), some would buy everything and the new Narrators could make a fresh start while staying compatible with the rest.

At least, that's my dream.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Would you care to elaborate on why it doesn't make sense to you, Doctor?

Here are my concrete reasons:

1. It gets a maximum amount of material on the market shelves as fast as possible. There were some D*** good supplements in the LUG 1st ED. And what about the stuff that was print ready, like the Klingons set? We never got to see those at all!
    2. It in some ways is cheaper than "starting over". All they'd be paying is for the transfer of copyright, as opposed to having their staff do it all over again from ground zero (and paying from ground zero).
    3. With the three-five projects in the rumored "finished" pile, and at least several times that many in the "nearly finished" pile, it would give them the ability to GUARANTEE a new product or products on a set schedule for the first 12 -18 months, which would buy them time to get the ball rolling on new works.

------------------
    Deo Vindice!

Reprinting very seldom makes sense because of market constriction. It costs nearly as much to reprint as to run a first printing. And then you have to ask the question "Could the market stand a flood of products that most people already have?"

I have a Way of Dera boxed set, for example, I'm not likely to buy a reprint of it. A new and different updated version, for an updated Icon system, yup. But not the same old one.

And retail space is usually at a premium. Filling valuable space with a non-selling item doesn't do anyone any good. The store owner looks at his shelf and says, "That Icon Trek Crap doesn't sell." And he doesn't order any more. The trek player walks in and doesn't see any new product and doesn't buy anything. It becomes a continual loop.

In my gaming store, as of my last visit 2 weeks ago there was 1 Way of Dera boxed set, 1 Star Fleet Academy boxed set, 4 Among the Clans, 3 Raiders renegades and rogues, two copies of each of all three Narrators tool kits, 2 copies of the TOS core book, and 3 copies of the DS:9 book.

Why would Karl want to order any reprints?

One thing that you don't want to do is to flood the market with products. If they did release all of the old LUG boods in one-three months, the new players would have to choose which books to buy as they will probably have a limited amount to spend on it. While it would be nice for me as I haven't had the chance to get all of the books yet, it would be a financial drain on Decipher.

Now then, here's an idea on the core rule book. Take the main book and generalize it. Give all the rules and a narrator section in the core book as well as the history of the Federation in it. Use the more generic species (Vulcan, Human, Tellarite), ships (Excelsior, Miranda) that can be used in every era. Then come out with a line book for each era fleshing out each series in it's own right and add to the basics in the book. Example: TNG book would have some of the races particular to it and ships like the Galaxy class in it, while DS9 would have the Defient class. Anyhow just a thought (if it came out coherent)

But it is going to be nice to have the same great team on the books again.

The main reason that I can see that it wouldn't make sense to reprint previously printed material (from a business perspective, and Decipher is a business), is that the target audience (us) has already purchased it. I know from the time when I managed a game shop that the period of highest sales for a hobby game product (esp. a licenced, high profile product line such as Star Trek) is JUST AFTER IT'S RELEASE! That period having passed for the previously published material, it just won't pay for Decipher to reissue it. However, this does not mean that the material won't show up again in a new form, re-edited and re-hashed. But then, it will be a "new" product. (Just like a second edition is a "new" product, even though much of it's material is old.)

Don, Steve, Christian... am I flawed in my thinking, here? And what other things go into this decision?

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

Thumbs down

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    Besides the point but it may not be that bad for Sjohn.
    He made another post 2hrs later and was quite civil.
    </font>
    Yea, and came down from his ivory tower long enough to post on RPG.net, where he -- surprise, surprise -- accused another person of "snobbery" and essentially flamed them for asking a civil question.

http://www.rpg.net/pf/read.php?f=5&i=65615&t=65615

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

AslanC Guest

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Jonas Bashir:
    Not until Anarchy Bob and I get what we want: The Tholian Sourcebook! </font>
    Screw that! I want to see the First Federation Ship Recognition Manual! Okay it may be able to double with the Top Flight or Titialus catalog, but you get the idea!

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

AslanC Guest

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:
    Yea, and came down from his ivory tower long enough to post on RPG.net, where he -- surprise, surprise -- accused another person of "snobbery" and essentially flamed them for asking a civil question. </font>
    As someone who got "attacked" by the almighty S.John here not too long ago (remeber the Lesbianisim converstaion where I dared to question canon and he called me anal and basically sh*t on me?) I have used the rpgnet to not only reply to a rather interesting and intelligent post by that young fellow, but also to let S.John know what I think of his "praised" work.

Why you may ask? Becuase I respect my peers here and value thier input. No one who does would dare upset the herd.

I hope that will be the last of childish egocentric behaviour, but something tells me it won't be.

For my money though, I still want a new Andorian book that does something unique and interesting with them.

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=