Thread: Gettin' technical on Mono-Refracting Plating

Gettin' technical on Mono-Refracting Plating

Here's another question that could just be settled by being technical and, well, exacting on how Starships is laid out, but I find when I do that I might be missing subtlety, and so I turn it out to the group (and, as ever, Don):

Mono-Refracting Plating is listed on the TABLE 1.9 (page 12) of Cloaking and Masking Systems. However, in the accompanying main-text, while it appears under Alien Operational Systems, it has a separate text entry from the cloaking devices. Cloaking devices (on page 13) specifically note the canonical, well-known restriction for Starfleet vessels -- they are non-'fleet only. But M-R Plating, in its entry, is not specifically noted.

Does this mean a 'game-canon' take that M-R plating is *not* a violation of the Treaty of Algeron? Frankly, I could go either way with this, myself. The Starfleet Intelligence plots in my game have long used an 'Eclipse-class Heavy Scout' which features silent running and monotanium plating, but the other features of which have managed to remain nebulous. I'd love to finally write up the full stats, and if MRP is 'legit' for Starfleet, I'd add it in a second.

Now, obviously, I know that I could always wave my hand and *decide* it is, but I tend to use these forums as a place to see what other folks thing, so I can hear the arguments either way.

So ... author intent, and peanut gallery comments, much appreciated here. What do y'all thing?

CMDRBJ
    "Every subject's duty is the king's, but every subject's soul is his own." -- Shakespeare, Henry V

N.B.: I originally put this *here* in this forum group, because Don's editorial input is desired. However, I'd be the first to support it being moved to a more proper discussion venue after that's done. (Purely FYI, Don, so you know that I'm not *lookin'* to be a disruptive influence )
    "Every subject's duty is the king's, but every subject's soul is his own." -- Shakespeare, Henry V

For a moment I thought this was going to be another weird Prototype trait question.

Mono-Refracting Plating appears on the chart with the cloaking devices only as a tool to lump all “sensor defeating systems” together. If a creator says “where’s all the stuff that lets me hide my ship” we wanted to send them to one chart. So don’t read anything further into that.

My personal opinion is no, Mono-Refracting Plating would not be a violation of the Treaty of Algeron. What times the Treaty has been mentioned references were specifically to “cloaking devices.” I will also point to Arctus Baran’s vessel from “Gambit” as another example.

Of course, do whatever you want.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    My personal opinion is no, Mono-Refracting Plating would not be a violation of the Treaty of Algeron. What times the Treaty has been mentioned references were specifically to “cloaking devices.” I will also point to Arctus Baran’s vessel from “Gambit” as another example.

Of course, do whatever you want.
    I can see where it would make sense due to the limitations of MRP over a real cloaking device, actually. Up until now, I'd had visions of simply blowing 10 SP on upgraded Monotanium plating, and still may for that +10TN to scan internally. But then, if you look closely at the story description, the two are exact opposites -- one reflects sensors, one absorbs. So in a purely logical sense, the presence of one of them should imply that the other cannot be used.

Yeah, I hear the voices now: "BJ, let story trump game mechanics when doing a purely game mechanic-based ship design? ARE YOU MAD!"

Mad like a fox, say I.

CMDRBJ

For a moment I thought this was going to be another weird Prototype trait question.
    Sulk! What's weird about it?

Just looking to get it right, is all...

FYI - having filled in a couple of gaps which I didn't get an answer on, I managed to get it working. Nearly ready now...

Useful to know that about the MRP btw
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Sulk! What's weird about it?

Just looking to get it right, is all...

FYI - having filled in a couple of gaps which I didn't get an answer on, I managed to get it working. Nearly ready now...

Useful to know that about the MP btw
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)