Thread: B5 Legend of the Rangers

B5 Legend of the Rangers

I just watched this attempt at reviving the B5 Franchise on Sci-fi this morning.

It wasn't bad, but i felt it was a big step backward from the original show.
    Not sure which direction it is from 'Crusade' though!

And how many times can they pull the "Ancient Race coming back to seek Vengence" Card?

And the "Virtual reality" style weapons system. How can that be better than pushing buttons and/or computer targeting?

Thoughts?

I can't believe Sci-Fi dared to air this tripe again. For me and a great many other fans, this "movie" (read: failed pilot) was the nail in the franchise's coffin. We put up with the disappointing Season 5, we scratched our heads through the "Crusade" movie and short series, all the while hoping for a return to the 'real' B5 universe. By the end of "Legend" I was so disgusted that even the original B5 suffered in my memory.

Your criticisms of the movie all came up about 2 years ago when it first aired. I don't think you'll find many to disagree with you!
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

If you thought Crusade was bad, it could have been worse. TNT tried to turn it into WwF in space!

I did like the B5 movies, Especaily Third Space.

yes, it had the 'ancient evil returns' theme to it, but I liked the whole 'Vorlons screwed up big time' idea: nice to now they weren't totally infalible.

River of Souls was...alright. Once again, the "alien race screws up" theme, this time with the...what were those soul stealing guys called?

And the movie that led up to Crusade was pretty good. To bad it led to a show that was doomed!

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    The VR weapons stuff:

It seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Doing all that punching and kicking makes you tired...less energy is spent pressinga button or squeezing a trigger. And what was with her screaming? Reminded me of Chris Tucker in Fifth Element..."Wha's wrong witchoo? Everybody screamin'! I'm outta here!" I was just like, calm down woman...

After seeing these guys in action, I'm not sure I would ever crew a ship with Rangers. And was it me or did technology seem to take a dip since the Whitestar Fleet and the Excalibur? Any show focusing on the Rangers should have a much smaller regular cast. Two or three characters at the most. Ships should only be involved as a means of transportation. Most of their adventures should be on the ground.

And yeah, the "another Oldest Race Ever" storyline is played out. B5's stroy was...what it was. it was great, and it came to an end. Time for something new. There are all kinds of plot threads in the B5 universe, go find 'em. Don't re-hash the same old story.

I would have preferred to see some resolution to the Crusade storyline, to be honest. Or, hell, a show focusing on Dureena and Galen. They were the only really interesting characters on Crusade anyway.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

A hugely disappointing effort; I looked forward to it and when I was done watching it, could not believe that this came from the same man who did such fine work on the B5 series.

I understand they were trying for something new and cool with the VR weapons, but all they really got was something kewl -- not the goal, IMO.

The acting was weak, the effects were shoddy, and how many megapowerful evil races are there in that universe?

I think we all got tired of the 'Mimbari are better than us' stuff. That's why I liked the captain in Legend: He was fairly likable, and in our culture, how he handles himself in the beginning of the show would be called the right thing, but to the Rangers, he's a coward.

And the "Hand", the never seen omipotent bad guys; maybe it's the current situation in the world speaking, but rather than going the 'all powerful ancient race and their servitors" route again, wouldn't something more like religious zealots make a better enemy?
    In a way, their followers would have been an evil reflection of the Rangers.

And I have to agree with Strict31: a ranger show should not be Voyager in the B5-verse! It should be about secret missions into enemy territory, taking out pirates, and perserving the peace.

Oh well, maybe that's why it never caught on.

An ancient and all-powerful race that are stupid enough to fall for the same trick twice.

Rangers getting in trouble for failing to die stupidly. How dumb are the Grey Council anyway?

How did the big Drazi get into the rangers? According to Marcus you have to be able to speak and think in Minbari. This guy could barely say his own name.

The Kirk-Spock realationship between the captain and his first office - could they have been more obvious?

JMS is capable of creating great science fiction drama and comlete and utter rubbish. LotR falls into the latter category.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Originally posted by Greg Smith
    JMS is capable of creating great science fiction drama and comlete and utter rubbish. LotR falls into the latter category.
    But JMS didn't create Lord of the Rings...

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

I thought Lord of the Rings was just a rip-off of B5.

I mean Rangers, an ancient foe reawakened, the lead character becomes king (president), the king marries a half-elf (half-minbari), there is a might wizard (Vorlon) who helps out but dies then comes back...

JMS should sue that Tolkien guy.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

And then there's that whole Kha'zadum/Zha'ha'dum thing...

Well, i liked legend of the rangers and it was the people that made it for me. the holo targeting was to much, didn't care for it. Also i didn't like the ancient super powerful race showing up again. And G'Kar turned in a stellar performance as usual.

About the Drazi in the Rangers. In season 5 episode that i watch ed last night. A pak marh(sp) wanted in but couldn't fit in. So Delenn said maybe we should figure out what he can do and not fit him into a mold he can't fit(something like that). So they decided to make him a courier, because people didn't pay attention to that race, they traded everywhere. they would train him in espionage and infilltration techniques. The drazi said his name was Truk and i carry heavy things. also nobody wanted the Narn engineer or the drazi till David Martel took them on.
    Garet

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Garet
    Well, i liked legend of the rangers and it was the people that made it for me. the holo targeting was to much, didn't care for it. Also i didn't like the ancient super powerful race showing up again. And G'Kar turned in a stellar performance as usual.

About the Drazi in the Rangers. In season 5 episode that i watch ed last night. A pak marh(sp) wanted in but couldn't fit in. So Delenn said maybe we should figure out what he can do and not fit him into a mold he can't fit(something like that). So they decided to make him a courier, because people didn't pay attention to that race, they traded everywhere. they would train him in espionage and infilltration techniques. The drazi said his name was Truk and i carry heavy things. also nobody wanted the Narn engineer or the drazi till David Martel took them on.
    Well, all I can say is, keep the faith baby.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."