Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Gaming] City of Heroes

Thumbs up [Gaming] City of Heroes

I know we've talked about this a bit in the past, but the official launch of City of Heroes is but a week away.

I've been in the beta test via a pre-order for a little under a month now and am very happy. The game differs from a lot of other MMORPGs in that the "grind" isn't as bad and the game is better suited to casual players. (I've beta'd/played Everquest, AC, SW Galaxies, WWII Online, and DAoC.)

First, there is no crafting at all. Thank God! Also, no looting or PvP. Thus, you take out bad guys and automatically receive Enhancements or Inspirations. Defeating villains also nets you Influence, the currency of CoH. That's it.

There are five origins that really have no bearing on your character, except for style. Five archetypes that dictate the power trees you'll have access to: Tanker, Scrapper, Defender, Controller, and Blaster. Each archetype selects a Primary and Secondary power tree out of five (each) to choose from. There's very little overlap. As you level additional powers and Enhancement slots open up.

Death past fifth has a small measurable effect as you take an XP debit that you have to pay off. It isn't that bad. You can never lose a level.

Teaming up with friends or total strangers is cake and very exciting. There are special team channels and team abilities, too. Also low-level friends can group with high-level friends by using the Sidekick feature -- the lower sidekick gets a sizable boost in ability to hang with his/her mentor.

Overall, CoH is a great game. I've had fun in the beta and will be playing for a bit. Sometimes the level grind gets to you, but I prefer CoH's style (and lack of PvP) over all other MMORPGs. Two thumbs way up!

(At this time the "live" servers are still being finalized so no word on what server you'll find me on.)
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

I've followed the development of City of Heros on Gamespot for months now. Looks promising.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I've been playing on the beta for the last week or so, and can only echo Don's praise of the game.

I've enjoyed it so much that I cancelled my Star Wars Galaxies account. Even better, my wife enjoys the heck out of it to, as it's really easy just to go out and play together without any expectations of maintaining equipment or competing with KSers for loot.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    I've enjoyed it so much that I cancelled my Star Wars Galaxies account. Even better, my wife enjoys the heck out of it to, as it's really easy just to go out and play together without any expectations of maintaining equipment or competing with KSers for loot.
    Me too. Bye, bye SW Galaxies. The grind in that game is just so horrible. I'm sure some people love it but, for heaven's sake, a baker as a profession?
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Don, I've heard that PvP is so popular that the developers are considering adding the option at some point. Any truth to this? Also, I'm a bit taken aback that flying isn't an option that is available until you reach a certain level. Any ideas on what the basic story will entail? other than the whole aftermath of the alien invasion bit. I've heard all i can about that part and wish to know what the campaign will basically be like. I'm not a MMORPGer, and I don't want to invest a chucnk of money in something that ultimately won't appeal, after all.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

PvP will come at some point, probably through duel or arenas. The idea of playing villians has been tossed around. Personally I think the game works a lot better without villians as-is.

There is a plot. In fact, towards the end of beta the aliens have started their invasion. Freaky stuff.

All travel powers (4 groups) open up at level 6. You can grind that out in less than 4 hours. The serious travel powers are available at 14. It's not a big deal and it works well. If everyone was flying/jumping/teleporting/super-running at 1st level it'd be pretty wonky.

Looks like I'll be on Justice for the moment.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

I played a little bit at a buddies place (my M&M group) and have to say it seriously made me to want to buy a PC so I could play.

though the fact that every name I could come up with for my character had been taken annoyed the crap out of me.

Originally posted by AslanC
    though the fact that every name I could come up with for my character had been taken annoyed the crap out of me.
    All characters are being wiped tomorrow. Every beta tester and pre-order customer are allowed to login to each of the four launch day servers and reserve ONE name. Those names are relinquished on May 15th if not claimed by the user (on that server).

So chances are really good that you'll get the name you want on the server you want.

(For the record, I got my name on 3 of the 4 servers.)
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Oh thanks for telling me!

But since I don't have the game or a PC, I guess it just won't happen

Oh well... c'est la vie.

By the time I get a PC (say 6 months) I will be left with SuPr^DoOd~8197

Hey, PCs are cheap. You can get a decent one for around $500 if not less.

Give in to the power of City of Heroes.

I'll keep on the lookout for SuPr^DoOd~8197!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Arrow

I wish I could, Don, but I have never been a fan of pay-2-play MMORPGs.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Hey, PCs are cheap. You can get a decent one for around $500 if not less.
    Best Buy has refurbs on for about $(CAN)500. As long as you don't mind deleting any viruses or e-mail from the previous owner. Otherwise you are looking at $(CAN)1000-1500.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Best Buy? Can't think off hand where one exists in Vancouver. Aren't they an American company?

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Last time i checked the site, i did not see any system requirements listed. have they put them up?

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

"Best Buy? Can't think off hand where one exists in Vancouver. Aren't they an American company?"

They're an American company, but they have stores in Canada. unfortunately, their store locator on their site, http://www.bestbuycanada.ca/ , shows that the neaters store to you is in Edmonton - 3 locations there, though...