Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Gaming] City of Heroes

From tonights end-of-beta "invasion." It got a little...insane.

Upwards of 50 people on the screen, blasting away, with little to no lag. Very impressive!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

And another
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

One more
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

One more for fun.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by AslanC
    Best Buy? Can't think off hand where one exists in Vancouver. Aren't they an American company?
    You're not in Montreal anymore? Hmm, stop by every 2-3 months and things change.

TTFN
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

I beta tested this game and though Im very happy that you all enjoyed the game so much, I can honeslty say I will not be buying it in it's present form. It's a combat sim. Yes it's neat to be a superhero and most comics these days are kill, kill, kill, beat up the bad guy, but I cannot see myself paying for a combat sim played on a pc. I felt like I was playing a multiplayer online game better suited for a xbox or playstation.

There is no real roleplaying, no economy, no capes, no wings. And no real debate on the forums about it because when you mix a comic fanboy with a online fanboi anyone who offers criticism is flamed to the other side of the sun.

Origins really didnt mean much and I found that if I did not make my avatar huge I couldnt make out the details and lord help the lilttle heroes, half the time I couldnt even see them, let alone any details of their costumes.

It takes 14 levels before you get true flight, and though they tweaked this endlessly during beta I'll tell you right off. Unless you're a power gamer it's going to take two months or more to get there -- that's 20-30 dollars to do what most heroes do in the 1st panel of their books.

Personally, as a sci-fi roleplayer, I found that EVE: 2nd Genesis was an online rpg that I enjoyed and kept me interested as a role player. I really wanted to like CoH, I wanted to play it monthly, but in it's current form, I'd rather pay and play Freedom Force or it's upcoming sequel and not pay a montly fee to smite evil.

I'll stop now, I hate raining on people's parades, but I say ask yourself what you really want from an online gaming experience and what are you paying a montly fee for.

Originally posted by Atlirith
    I'll stop now, I hate raining on people's parades, but I say ask yourself what you really want from an online gaming experience and what are you paying a montly fee for.
    To get together with friends, create some heroes, and pound the bad guys into submission.

I'm getting exactly what I want out of it.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

I'm bored, so I'm going to add a little commentary here. Some of these I can see Atlirith's points and others I feel he/she is off base. Ultimately, yes, the game may or may not be for you. (And isn't that what asking questions and reading reviews is for?)
    Originally posted by Atlirith
    There is no real roleplaying,
    Of course not, it's a MMORPG!
    no economy,
    Yes, thank God. The reason I like CoH is because it supports casual play. I can login for two hours, do a mission, and feel like I've accompished something. My buds and I can hook up, form a team, and the game scales the difficulty accordingly. Otherwise I can hook up with some other people at random (do it all the time), have a mission and a good time. Quick, easy, and fun.
    no capes, no wings.
    You're right. So? If no capes and wings are deal-breakers for you then I suppose CoH isn't for you.
    And no real debate on the forums about it because when you mix a comic fanboy with a online fanboi anyone who offers criticism is flamed to the other side of the sun.
    Kinda like Trek fans?
    Origins really didnt mean much and I found that if I did not make my avatar huge I couldnt make out the details and lord help the lilttle heroes, half the time I couldnt even see them, let alone any details of their costumes.
    The mouse scroll wheel zooms in and out. I have no problems seeing the detail on my "small" 5'8" avatar.

Origins can affect the type of missions you get and the type of Enhancements you can use at later levels. For the most part you're correct on this point, though.
    Unless you're a power gamer it's going to take two months or more to get there -- that's 20-30 dollars to do what most heroes do in the 1st panel of their books.
    Okay, this is flat-out wrong. While subjective I'll grant you, I, as a newbie who hadn't logged an hour in CoH was able to level to 6 in a day via casual play. A friend at work got to level 4 in less than two hours, on his second day in the game.

I made level 8 within two days with my first character. This was without grouping (for the most part), wandering around the city being impressed, and generally just learning the game.

Two months? No freakin' way. As a casual player if I can do 8 levels in two days, you don't need two months to get to 14. Actually, for fun, I'm going to grind during the headstart and see how far I can get. I'll probably have flight by the time the game goes live for the public.
    I really wanted to like CoH, I wanted to play it monthly, but in it's current form, I'd rather pay and play Freedom Force or it's upcoming sequel and not pay a montly fee to smite evil.
    Freedom Force is a great game.

Ultimately you decide how to spend your time and money. CoH is a lot of fun, especially if you're a casual player. No complex skill trees, insane crafting, wonky economic system, or dancing wookies.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Don Mappin

Two months? No freakin' way. As a casual player if I can do 8 levels in two days, you don't need two months to get to 14. Actually, for fun, I'm going to grind during the headstart and see how far I can get. I'll probably have flight by the time the game goes live for the public.Freedom Force is a great game.
    I have to chime in with Don on this one. I played a character for about a half-hour before I went off to play (or, even better, make) another. Even bouncing between characters every few hours/every session, I had a couple characters up to level 6 and 8, and a bunch more at 3 or 4. Levelling isn't a problem, and you're usually having so much fun, you're not even paying attention to how close you are to levelling.

But, to each his own. I'm off to play some MVP 2004.

Speaking of baseball, anyone investing on MLB SportsClix?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Everytime I see or hear something good about CoH, I see or hear something bad about it too. At first it was minor stuff like no capes. I'm of the school that some supers just gotta have the capes. I don't care if they're stiff...it is the principle of the thing. Then, I thought about all the supers I made for my M&M setting and realized very few of them wear capes anyway, and besides which, I had to deal with a lack of capes in NWN, so, whatever. no big.

Then it was a lack of a single player campaign, which had initially been promised. I hate that. In fact, it turned me away from the bloody game entirely until I saw a preview on X-Play. It just looked too damned cool.

Then it was no flight until level 14 or whatever. Flight is...sort of a big thing for me...I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that a super needs to "learn" before he can fly. A case can be made that Superman initially just did a lot of leaping before he ever was able to fly...another case could be made that initially, Superman was not intended to fly...what about the native fliers, like Angel? Like Silver Surfer? Martian manhunter? What about Cannonball? Guys like that? Some of whom, flying is their main claim to fame...

There's nothing to be done for this, for those to whom it matters, but I would hope this is something they plan to address later.

At the same time, I realize that everybody probably wants to fly. maybe this creates some sort of logisitical problem. I don't know their reasoning.

I'm not a fan or MMORPGs. I wanted to become on for SW: Galaxies, but that sucked a big sweaty butt-cheek. What? i'm supposed to traverse the Dune Sea on foot? Dancing Wookies? Gah!

I would like to try CoH and even Matrix Online...genres that I love, that have very little exposure in the CRPG market...But I just don't know. Might have to just hang my hopes of Freedom Force 2. That's sure to be a winner, even though I know it still won't be perfect...

I guess every game has its good and its bad. Still trying to weigh that out with CoH...

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Originally posted by strict31
    Then it was no flight until level 14 or whatever. Flight is...sort of a big thing for me...I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that a super needs to "learn" before he can fly.

At the same time, I realize that everybody probably wants to fly. maybe this creates some sort of logisitical problem. I don't know their reasoning.
    First, I totally agree with you. My character concept (based on my old MSH character from 15ish years ago) is built entirely around flight. However I've found it's not that big of deal in CoH. By sixth you can get Hover and do most of the important stuff, although it's slow. You can make six in as many hours, casually.

However you might be surprised that Flight isn't as popular as you'd suspect. It's the most interesting to be sure, but Leaping is the most fun, Superspeed the fastest, and Teleport is incredibly useful. I don't have any numbers to prove this, but in my experience in the beta most of the travel powers are divided equally across characters.

Flight = Traditional "cool" power, the slowest (without buffs)
    Leaping = Fast and fun
    Superspeed = Fast but drains END, excellent defense
    Teleport = Best utility (Teleport Friend / Team) but sucks up the END
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Thumbs up

The pre-launch was yesterday after all the servers were wiped. I got my character to 9th.

Had lots of fun with my buds.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

So, on what servers are y'all? I'll be joining this weekend probably and it would be really cool to hook up and stuff.
    Jesus saves... and takes half damage.
    --+
    (www.btvs-rpg.net)

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I have to pick up my copies of the game tonight (one is for the wife ).

Main characters on Victory server:

Celtic Cross -- healer/mentalist
    Justicar -- armored tech blaster
    Lady Steele -- superstrength
    The Czarist (I think he's there) -- broadsword/dark armor
    Mercury Hg (I think he's there) -- speedster (or, will be)/martial artist

I also took the time to make a character for each of my girls on a different server. Only one may actually be old enough to figure the controls out, but be on the lookout for Katiekatt, Cyndicatt and Ellicatt. Likely, it'll be me running the character while they tell me what to do. I'll let you all know what server they're on when I get home.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I'm on Justice. Just made 11th. Unfortunately my retail pre-order hasn't arrived yet so, ironically, I'm locked out!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew