Thread: BReaking News: Pat Tillman killed in Afghanistan

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Unhappy BReaking News: Pat Tillman killed in Afghanistan

Ex-NFL Star killed in Afghanistan

The Arizona Cardinal's star Strong Safety who gave up his $3.6 million dollar foodball contract to become an Army Ranger (Annual salary $18,000) after 9/11 was killed in action during a firefight somewhere in Afghanistan.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

It is a sad story, and something to give pause to remind all of us that we live in different times. While some may argue whether we are at war or not, it is not arguable that we have brave men and women who are risking/giving their lives to protect this country. How sad, and easily people forget.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Arrow

My condolences to his family.

Although I have to admit, "Army Ranger" is way much cooler title than "NFL Star."
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Mr. Tillman chose honor over money, I'm sure he knew the risks in his decision. The best I can do is honor his memory and choise.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

to Spc. Patrick D. Tillmans family my salute,my honor and my bereavement..

to Spc. Patrick D. Tillman himself
    you died with honor and will never be forgotten, you rest with the rest of your brothers before you in honor.

to the media that is making his death a headliner...

thanks for desecrating the honor of a fallen soldier.
    i am now embarassed to live in america.

he wasnt a football player he was a soldier
    he died a soldier..
    they put his picture on tv and in the papers.. why?

where are the rest of the pictures?
    of those that died before him or those that will after?
    can anyone name any other soldier that died there?
    without looking it up?

and for that i appologize to him for the treatment he recieved from a country he died for.

maybe eventually people will learn..

sorry to you folks but its just hard to see one soldier being put above others for no reason what so ever..

here is a link for the rest to see how it was announced to others than the family...

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/...0423-0648.html

and yes this is the same for every soldier killed not just the "rich and famous"
    god,grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,The good fortune to run into the ones I do,And the eyesight to tell the difference..

NSDQ

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

Well said...

Wolfe said it better than I could.

I find it a tragic amusement when they talk about Tillmans death, and then follow the story up with the innappropriateness of posting pictures of American soldiers returning home in coffins.

Nothing talks about sacrifice more than a nameless coffin covered in a flag.

Originally posted by wolfe
    without looking it up?

I can name two in Afghanistan that I personally knew, three I served with who died in Iraq, another four still there. There's a Pat Tilman in every person in uniform.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Mr. Tillman chose honor over money
    And that is very remarkable in a society where you are basically judged by what you wear, what you drive, where you eat, etc. I'm afraid he was in a tiny minority. A dying breed even maybe?
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    And that is very remarkable in a society where you are basically judged by what you wear, what you drive, where you eat, etc. I'm afraid he was in a tiny minority. A dying breed even maybe?
    Nope. Plenty of them serving n the military; civilians working jobs that don't pay as well as they could but they do it 'cause they love where they live, or the people they work with. My wife turned down a job making twice as much as she does now because she likes the people she works for and the town we live in.

The further away from the urban centers, the more likely you are to find people like this. Cosmopolitan & media elitism just views people like this through the provincial prism of "rednecks", "hicks", and "trailer trash" for the most part.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

We're dangerously close into turning this into a political thread, so please watch out.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by wolfe
    to Spc. Patrick D. Tillmans family my salute,my honor and my bereavement..

to Spc. Patrick D. Tillman himself
    you died with honor and will never be forgotten, you rest with the rest of your brothers before you in honor.

to the media that is making his death a headliner...

thanks for desecrating the honor of a fallen soldier.
    i am now embarassed to live in america.

he wasnt a football player he was a soldier
    he died a soldier..
    they put his picture on tv and in the papers.. why?

where are the rest of the pictures?
    of those that died before him or those that will after?
    without looking it up?

and for that i appologize to him for the treatment he recieved from a country he died for.

maybe eventually people will learn..

sorry to you folks but its just hard to see one soldier being put above others for no reason what so ever..

here is a link for the rest to see how it was announced to others than the family...

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/...0423-0648.html

and yes this is the same for every soldier killed not just the "rich and famous"
    Well put!

It also annoys me when the casualties are used for political gain.

We're dangerously close into turning this into a political thread, so please watch out.
    By your command.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

As an American, I grieve for each soldier killed. I thank each soldier, including Mr. Tillman, for his or her service. And I thank each soldier's family for their sacrifice, and offer to them my deep condolences.

I'd like to say that, even though my country is now probably flagged as one of the most anti-american in the Western World, I offer my deepest condolences to anyone who lost someone in this war and the subsequent events in Iraq.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett