Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK XI to be a Prequel

Originally posted by strict31
    By using liberal amounts of sex.
    yep. it's a shame they felt the only way to revitalize enterprise was to make it appeal more to pimply faced teenaged boys.

Uh... Am I the only one who doesn't think ENT is oversexed ? I mean, yeah, there are the decon scenes and a few others, but how is it much different of Evil Kirk trying to rape a miniskirted Janice Rand ? Or to have every women on board wearing miniskirts and every alien girl wearing a handkerchief as a dress ?

IMHO the only series where sex wasn't used as an audience magnet was TNG (well, Troi and Crusher are hot, but not so that it becomes a plot device - and fortunately we didn't have much Naked Now episodes), and, to a lesser extent, DS9, where Jadzia Dax was indeed the beautiful creature almost every single man on the station lusted about, but while keeping a standard outfit and a very cerebral role. But there were a lot of scantily clad Dabo girls running around and the occasional Risa episode to show a bit more (mostly female) skin than necessary.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by C5
    Uh... Am I the only one who doesn't think ENT is oversexed ?
    Personally, I'm with you. There hasn't been a sex scene yet in the series that I couldn't gloss over. And, honestly, most of the sex/near-nude scenes weren't half as bad as the naysayers decried in the first place. For the times, Enterprise is relatively tame.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    For the times, Enterprise is relatively tame.
    True, but that's never been the source of my dissatisfaction with it (the sex).
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

"And don't forget, miniskirt is the fashion of the 1960's. Just be glad that mullets weren't used in TNG."

You dont remember 'The Outrageous Okona' episode???

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Originally posted by C5

Uh... Am I the only one who doesn't think ENT is oversexed ? I mean, yeah, there are the decon scenes and a few others,
    T'Pol performing pressure points on a female MACO officer...

but how is it much different of Evil Kirk trying to rape a miniskirted Janice Rand ?
    To be brutally honest, I personally don't find sex crime to be arousing.

Or to have every women on board wearing miniskirts and every alien girl wearing a handkerchief as a dress ?
    Sign of the time? I mean, it was the 1960's.

IMHO the only series where sex wasn't used as an audience magnet was TNG (well, Troi and Crusher are hot, but not so that it becomes a plot device - and fortunately we didn't have much Naked Now episodes),
    But you also have the "Justice" episode, where the Edo are running around scantily clad.

And then there is the naked Luxwana Troi, where she almost got married.

and, to a lesser extent, DS9, where Jadzia Dax was indeed the beautiful creature almost every single man on the station lusted about, but while keeping a standard outfit and a very cerebral role. But there were a lot of scantily clad Dabo girls running around and the occasional Risa episode to show a bit more (mostly female) skin than necessary.
    Actually, I find that series to use sensuality more than sexuality (thanks to Nana Visitor and her Intendent role), despite the occasional skins and what could have been considered taboo (Jadzia and Curzon's former girlfriend together).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by REG
    You think that was sexual? There was about as much sexual tension in that scene as there is between the two cans of soda sitting on my desk right now.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    You think that was sexual? There was about as much sexual tension in that scene as there is between the two cans of soda sitting on my desk right now.
    Maybe, maybe not. But the comparison is only valid if one of those cans is shaped like The Jolene, and showed its ass in Maxim...

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

ewww.. that aint sexy nor senual...lol

But the pressure massage scenes are rather tame, IMO.

I remember Manny Coto, the new writer and executive producer for ENT responding to a question regarding those scenes (if memory serves)...

Inteviewer: But Kirk wasn't getting a massage every week on Star Trek?

Coto: That's because they didn't think of it.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    The pressure massage scenes are tame as long as T'Pol keeps her shirt on. The lube-job decontamination scenes might be tame (or lame) compared to, say, temptation Isle, but they damn sure are suggestive. How often do you see Trip and Archer slathering themselves with a bunch of sticky space juice after a long hard day exploring the undiscovered country of deep space? Or do we usually see Trip and T'Pol doing it? or Trip and Hoshi, or Malcom and Hoshi or Trip and, oh, anyone except another male?

If there was no sexual overtones heavily implied in this show and its marketing, we would have seen a sexy layout of the NX-01 in Maxim instead of Jolene Blalock. Or was it a coincedence that she showed her bod in that mag right around the same time Ent launched?

Don't get me wrong...as i've said, countless times already, I like looking at T'Pol getting oiled up in her panties. Or at hoshi running around the ship with no shirt on. But I also don't make any bones (ahem) about the suggestive nature of those scenes, or the point of adding them to help sell a trek that is no longer always strong enough to stand on its own merits.

Granted, it ain't NYPD Blue with a shower scene between Sipowicz and Sharon Lawrence, with asses-a-go-go. But in the same respect, it also ain't Dexter's Lab...

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Sorry....blaylock isn't that attractive to me. And what's with the page boy cut on her anyway?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Cool

Are there... are there tops off?

LOL!!!

As for Many Coto's response, I wonder what are they thinking of next week's scene? (Yeah, I know it's already been shot.)
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Rrrrrowww! Dude, I am so hot right now...

Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by REG
    Okay, haven't seen that one. But from the previous posts, I gather it wasn't that hot anyway.

To be brutally honest, I personally don't find sex crime to be arousing.
    On that, we agree. My point was that there have been much more shoking sex scenes on Trek than half naked people rubing oil on each others. And I don't think Evil Kirk's rape had much of a point (apart from stating that he was, well, Evil).

Sign of the time? I mean, it was the 1960's.
    Well this is the 2000's, and I think that we devised much more than the miniskirt to these days. Actually, I personnally consider ENT to be lagging behind as far as sex is concerned in the 2000's. We could have had a real nude scene or at least topless for some time IMHO (I heard there was such scene in Stargate for instance - but I may be wrong on that one).

But you also have the "Justice" episode, where the Edo are running around scantily clad.

Of course, and the episode with the matriarchy as well (Angel One). But these ones were mainly during the first season, which as far as I'm concerned is the weakest of all TNG and even of all the Trek I know (and Lwaxana being half naked.... do you really find that arousing ? Talk about soda cans... )

Actually, I find that series to use sensuality more than sexuality (thanks to Nana Visitor and her Intendent role), despite the occasional skins and what could have been considered taboo (Jadzia and Curzon's former girlfriend together).
    Yeah, on that one DS9 managed to pull it off rather nicely (don't forget the Rejoined episode as far as taboo is concerned - the equivalent of Kirk's kiss with Uhura IMHO). But it was very close to the line.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by strict31
    Granted, it ain't NYPD Blue with a shower scene between Sipowicz and Sharon Lawrence, with asses-a-go-go. But in the same respect, it also ain't Dexter's Lab...
    Yeah, but Dexter's Mom is hot... wide hips and rubber gloves, hubba hubba

On a more serious note, I agree with C5 and others who commented that Enterprise is actually lagging behind the 21st century in terms of selling sex. And, the topless scenes on Stargate were when they were on Showtime (or whatever pay channel they started on), which I consider a bummer; but with them in or out Stargate had consistently better stories than most of the Sci Fi series out today.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth