Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK XI to be a Prequel

Post STAR TREK XI to be a Prequel

Rick Berman have stated they are in the early stage of developing the next Trek film. While he did not disclose any detail of the film's plot, he did say it will be a prequel.

For more information:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/220404_01.shtml
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040423b.php
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

It may as well be. Stewart has said he is no longer interested in the Picard role, and without that character, it would be exceedingly difficult to write a TNG movie. Sisko is dead (more or less), and Janeway has been promoted to the admiralty -- which means she's likely to be the <em>villain</em> of the piece (unless they haven't got round to installing her evil, yet). These mean that DS9 and Voyager movies have certain problems right out of the gate.

That leaves either the future (a TNG like leap), or the past.

Cool

Sisko Lives! (To steal a catchphrase in the 70's and 80's.)
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    A prequel! I can see it now! Five minutes before they come up with the idea for Enterprise, a Collective of Fans goes back in time to assimilate Paramount Studios!

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Assimilate? WHAT!? We don't need them in our collective consciousness...

A prequel to what? TOS, TNG era? Or will it be a prequel to a prequel (Ent.) B&B could then mess with their own continuity, assuming they actually create any in the year or so.

Talking

Will no one Rid me of these Damned Producers?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Originally posted by Fesarius
    Sisko is dead (more or less
    Sisko is not dead. In fact he actually said that he will return eventually. Additionally I think the USS Titan could also do well for a new movie. Since Riker is now Captain he could take a role like Picard in the other movies.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Originally posted by Evan van Eyk
    Sisko is not dead. In fact he actually said that he will return eventually.
    Hence my "more or less". The problem with bringing back Sisko is that you're gonna have to explain where he *was*, and that means you've got to bring in elements of Bajoran mysticism, the prophets, etc. Your two choices then become to retread familar ground for fans, or leave the movie inaccessible to new viewers. And if you bring him back *without* an explanation, you'll alienate existing fans.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done; I'm saying it would be a real challenge to do it well ... a challenge that is, IMO, beyond the displayed talents of Berman and Braga.

Originally posted by Evan van Eyk
    Additionally I think the USS Titan could also do well for a new movie. Since Riker is now Captain he could take a role like Picard in the other movies.
    You might be onto something here, but there's an element of risk: this would be the first Trek to carry a lead who wasn't also the lead in a series. Stewart has big screen acting chops -- does Frakes? That's the question producers would have to answer. But I think this is how I would go -- then see if I could get Stewart in for a cameo as Admiral Picard -- if Janeway can make the Admiralty, Picard surely can.

Well I hope anyway it's not TOS remixed. With all those 60s series being made into blockbuster movies, I'm expecting that to happen anytime now.

I think sometimes that, since Paramount has the final word when it comes to canon, they should once and for all state that every series belong to a different canon, so every fan would be all right with continuity.

As for a prequel... maybe it will be the conclusion of ENT if they cancel it ? The final word on the TCW, or something like that. After all, it's when a movie made a reference to a series (with the use of a known villain) that they were the most successful.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Well I'm surprised for two reasons: 1-that they have decided after all to go ahead with a new ST movie and 2-that Paramount still trusts B&B.

Not long ago there was some news to the effect that the "brains" at Paramount, whose movies haven't faired that well at the box-office for the last couple of years, had decided to stop "playing it safe" and wanted to take more risks instead or re-using "safe" formulas. I wonder how Trek could be tied into this.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    Not long ago there was some news to the effect that the "brains" at Paramount, whose movies haven't faired that well at the box-office for the last couple of years, had decided to stop "playing it safe" and wanted to take more risks instead or re-using "safe" formulas. I wonder how Trek could be tied into this.
    By using liberal amounts of sex. Maybe the prequel will be set in the seventies, with a ship of hoes captained by Snoop Dog. Starfleet would be the military arm of the UFP...United Federation of Pimps. Perhaps the Borg (cyborganic playah-hatahs) could show up, threatening the intergalactic Player's Ball, and only the USS Entrepreneur could stop them by smackin' that Borg Queen up.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Originally posted by strict31
    By using liberal amounts of sex.
    So essentially "Enterprise" on the big screen?

Wonderful.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    So essentially "Enterprise" on the big screen?

Wonderful.
    Hey, now!

Kirk is still the mac daddy of alien chicks! Enterprise, love it or hate it, hasn't topped his record yet...

Talking

Originally posted by Fesarius
    Enterprise, love it or hate it, hasn't topped his record yet...
    This is true.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!