Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaving

*sigh* I can see why Don spiked the thread. sorry to see you go querlin
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    "Pisses me off when I encounter them and the mods don't immediately crack down on them."

I take it you're speaking generally and not specifically about this instance... The thread was locked down one hour and 45 minutes after the initial post - given that this Board is run by volunteer mods (even Don, really - this isn't his job, it's his hobby), that's pretty "immediate." Nobody can be on-line 24/7.
    Owen, please do not quote me out of context.

IN context, I was talking about trolls whose only purpose is to instigate and attack. I also go on to grant the fact that A: the mods can't keep a 24/7 eye on these chaps, and B: there is not a universal end-all solution to this problem. But granting the mods are limited in their ability (and justified in their reluctance) to quell another person's right to speak their mind, even if it is for trolling, I suggest an option that we, as a community, can use to diminish the effect of trolls in general, and of this guy in particular.

Don has since said that the guy in question apologized, privately, but Don has no power to force the guy to apologize publicly. I have no problem with that statement, or with Don's (or any mod's) limits in this sort of thing. Again, that's why I suggest that we do not sit idly by in this matter. I'll state it again, just for the record: when we see an trolling post, or when we encounter a regular troller, ignore him. Refuse to respond to him, no matter how much his posts insult or enrage. Refuse to respond to any of his posts. Maybe he'll get the message.

I come to this board to learn, to listen and to laugh. When I can, I try to share what little I've learned. I don't come here to insult a person or their country or their ideals, even in a back-handed manner. Most of the people I've encountered here do not seem to wish to be insulted either.

My point here is not to insult the mods, or insult you. I was pissed off, and I said so. And I also said why. I didn't insult anyone. Additionally, rather than simply be negative, I offered a possible solution that we all can do.

If only part of my statement is read, and the rest ignored, I refuse to be called to account for it, since I've stated what I meant to be read.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

I leave for a few weeks and Qerlin goes...

Dammit you can't leave. Your contribution to a multitude of threads was always helpful.

Just ignore the nonsensical comments.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist