Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kzinti

The Kzinti

Love 'em or loath 'em, the Kzinti have been a semi-part of the Trek universe since Larry Niven adapted The Soft Weapon for the Animated Series. Now I kind of like the Kzinti, and I like the way Starcharts kind of hinted at them, and I also liked the idea that the Tzenkethi were intended to be the Kzinti.

So anyway, I've been working on adapting the Kzinti for use in my campaign. So far, I've mainly just done the basics of some of the chronology. So this is still a work in progress, but I thought a few folks might be interested. Comments are, as always, welcome.

OK, I've done a bit of work on a possible Kzinti timeline. There's some more stuff I want to put in here, and obviously I want to extend it beyond 2276. But this is a decent start.

c 1300 AD
    The race known only as the Hur’q invade the Kzin homeworld. However, they find the Kzinti more formidable than the Klingon Empire, and quickly write off the planet as a lost cause. The Kzinti force captured Hur’q scientists to genetically alter the Kzin species, making the males idealised Alphas, and the females subsentient slaves. The captured Hur’q do not survive for long, though they leave behind numerous technologicical items, which several Kzinti warlords use to attack their neighbours.

1402 AD
    After repeated failed attempts to understand captured Hur’q technology, the last Hur’q device finally fails, and the warlord Ch’Rarn orders the now useless devices sealed away in a secure location for future study.

1417 AD
    The warlord Ch’Rarn dies in battle. With his death, the location of the cached Hur'q technology is lost, and it's existence soon fades into legend.

The ECS Fortune disappears while on a cargo run from Earth to Rigel.

The Earth vessel Valiant discovers the drifting hulk of the ECS Fortune. A survey team dicsovers the gnawed bones of the vessel's captain, but no trace is ever found of the rest of the crew.

All contact is lost with the Starfleet vessel Gallant, while investigating the disappearance of several Earth cargo ships.

Starfleet vessel Intrepid discovers the shattered remains of the Gallant in deep space. An investigation reveals a picthed battle had been fought aboard the Gallant, and the skeletal remains of many of the crew are scattered throughout the ship. Autopsies show evidence that the bones had been chewed on, suggesting that the crew may have been eaten.

Following the trail left by the Gallant's logs, the Intrepid continues the Gallant's investigations

Due in large part to the work of the lost crew of the Gallant, the Intrepid locates the unidentified vessel (in later years, it would become clear that the vessel was Kzinti in origin) responsible for the attack on the Gallant. After a fierce battle, the hostile ship is destroyed, with no survivors, though the Intrepid does succeed in recovering some partial remains of the vessel's crew.

The Kzinti begin making raids along the Klingon border.

Kzin scouts probe the Kannaga system, as the first stage of an invasion.

c 2150
    Kzinti warriors attack the Klingon colony of Kannaga. After a fierce battle the Klingons prevail, but at a high cost in both personnel and resources. The damage to the colony will take years to recover. The Kzinti invaders are completely wiped out.

c 2150
    In retaliation for the attack on Kannaga, the Klingons send a dozen ships out to locate and scout out Kzinti worlds. None will ever return.

Kzin scouts quietly probe the Alpha Centauri System, looking for weakness.

U.S.S. Archon comes under attack by a Kzin Warship while surveying the Gamma Trianguli system. The Archon is victorious.

The Kzinti attempt to invade Alpha Centauri, but are soundly defeated by the Federation Starfleet.

Enraged by suffering a second defeat in recent years, the Kzinti set their sights on obliterating the Federation. They begin making plans to attack Earth.

The largest assault fleet in Kzinti spacefaring history enters Sector 001. They are soundly defeated by the Federation Starfleet before even entering the Sol system, due largely to superior Federation technology. The survivors limp back to Kzin on emergency power.

After more than a decade of rebuilding, the furious Kzinti launch a second assault against the Federation, attacking both Earth and Vulcan in a daring two-pronged assault. Though the Federation takes heavier casualties this time, the Kzinti are again defeated, with more than a quarter of their fleet destroyed. Less than half the Kzinti fleet make it back to the homeworld, due to an opportunistic attack while en route, by the grudge-holding Klingons.

Under the inspired leadership of Chsst-Admiral, a third Kzinti assault is launched against Earth. Despite the superior Federation technology, Chsst Admiral’s more subtle tactics result in the Federation taking heavy casualties, and much of the Mars Defense Perimeter destroyed before reinforcements are able to drive back the attackers. The Daedalus class USS Intrepid, under Captain Samir Ahmed, is destroyed during the battle.

A fourth assault on the Federation is commanded by the wily, Chuut-Riit. The Kzinti dispatches smaller fleets to attack both Andor and Vulcan, in an attempt to distract attention from Earth. The ploy almost succeeds, but with both sides taking heavy casualties, though the Federation prevails.

Tired of the continual Kzinti attacks, the Federation takes the war to the Kzinti. Despite the objections of the Vulcans, a Federation fleet enters Kzinti space to end the Kzinti threat for once and for all.

Following a decisive confrontation, Kzin falls to the Federation. The disgraced Chuut-Riit is eaten by his family.

With little choice, the Kzinti are forced to sign the Treaty of Sirius, denying them the use of advanced weaponry, and limiting their spacefaring capabilities to police vessels only. As part of the treaty, a Federation presence is established on Kzin to monitor compliance. Despite this, skirmishes with ‘rogue’ vessels will continue for many years.

The Kzinti begin planning a fifth assault on the Federation, one that will take many years to come to fruition.

A small group of Kzinti begin calling for reform, arguing that the Kzin must change with the times or be wiped out.

The Reformation movement begins to gain momentum, despite the best efforts of the power-holding traditionalists to destroy it.

The Kzinti patriarch dies, his replacement orders the military to begin rounding up and executing all reformists, forcing the reformation movement underground, and inadvertently rallying popular support to what is now a full-fledged rebellion. The Federation attempts to mediate the dispute, but to no avail.

As a result of the internal disputes fracturing Kzin society, the Patriarch is forced to sideline plans for a fifth assault on the Federation.

Despite fighting a guerrilla war, the Reformation movement continues to garner support on Kzin, despite the Patriarch’s best efforts to wipe them out. Kzinti society is polarised on the issue, with many still supporting traditional values, while others take up the banner of reformation, creating a cultural rift that may destroy Kzinti society once and for all.

2269 (stardate 4187.3)
    Archaeologists working on Kzin discover a Slaver stasis box. Under the terms of the Treaty of Sirius, the Kzinti are forced to surrender the box to Federation authorities. Enterprise crewmembers Commander Spock, and Lieutenants Sulu and Uhura are assigned to transport the box to Starbase 25 aboard the shuttlecraft Copernicus. While en route, the Copernicus crew are lured into investigating the possibility of another stasis box in the vicinity of Beta Lyrae. This later turns out to be a trap sprung by supposedly rogue Kzinti, who capture the box and the Enterprise crewmembers. Upon opening, the box proves to contain what seems to be a weapon, but it is destroyed when the Kzinti Chuft-Commander inadvertently activates a self-destruct, leaving both him and his crew dead.

In an attempt to generate inter-species understanding, the Kzinti Officer Teela-Commander is assigned to the USS Lexington as part of a cultural exchange program.

The Kzinti Reformation movement succeeds in overthrowing the Patriarch. Instead of eating the Patriarch and his supporters, the new Patriarch orders them exiled from Kzinti space. Despite being spared by his opponents, the disgraced former Patriarch is eaten by his family.

Swearing vengeance against the traitors of the Kzinti Hegemony, the exiled Kzinti traditionalists settle on the planet Tzenketh.
    Last edited by Capt Daniel Hunter; 04-28-2004 at 03:58 PM.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Not much to look at as warriors are they? Getting their faces pushed into the kitty-litter box 4 times in a row by the Federation.

Though I can see the Federation developing new weapons to deal with the Kzinti threat:

-The Mk X "Madcat" Torpedo with Cat-nip warhead.
    - The isolinear Ball of String Launchcer.

Oh, and under treaty they would have tom ake sure the non-clumping litter was used in the POW lock up.
    Last edited by Phantom; 04-27-2004 at 03:10 PM.

I like it Cap. Neat stuff

Mind if I adapted some of it for UST?

Use whatever you free Aslan.

As for the Kzinti getting their tails handed to them, and the treaty, that's based on the history from both The Slaver Weapon script, and Niven's novels. I'm just trying to fit it into the Trek universe. Though thanks for the helpful comments, Phantom.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Capt Daniel Hunter,
    Nice work, I really like the 2275-76 entries. It gives me evil ideas.
    Also I have some other LUG Trek information on the Kzin, the 4 ships and template that use to be here. I know Memory Icon will have them some time in the future.

Phantom,
    You should be beaten with a military grade scratching post!
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    As for the Kzinti getting their tails handed to them, and the treaty, that's based on the history from both The Slaver Weapon script, and Niven's novels. I'm just trying to fit it into the Trek universe. Though thanks for the helpful comments, Phantom.
    Sorry man, the thoughts just went through my head and I just couldn't help myself. It was meant as a little levity, I do like the history you came up with.

nice out line , I alway loved playing the lyan in SFB for the very sound reason that thier ships look cool .

The Kzinti gettin' beaten so many times by the UFP gives them a very good (plot) reason to show up with some new technology and start to kick UFP butt. They have layed low for awile, built up armament and tech and are ready to show the galaxy who's the boss
    Wm. Eric Downton

Freelance Web & Graphic Design
    http://www.dotmatrixdesign.com

Gaming Goodies & Other Stuff
    http://www.neurozombie.com

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Gotta admit, i've only heard setchy data 'bout the Kzinti, i like the history though, i'd be interested in seeing the ships & template data for them if anyone could pass them along

Grovel, Grovel

I'm looking for a race to use an antagonists for my group, but i don't want to use 'cannon' material my group would know. This lot sound perfect.

Sundowner

PS, anyone got a physical description/environmental requirements ect for them as well.

Cheers
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Originally posted by Phantom
    Sorry man, the thoughts just went through my head and I just couldn't help myself. It was meant as a little levity, I do like the history you came up with.
    No biggie, I was just having a poke back at ya.

I'm planning to do some more work on this at the weekend, and I might get the species data written up as well. I've already got a few more timeline entries I want to add, involving transport crews and missing ships.

A few new entries added to the early 22nd century.

Chello!

Well, seeing as how Lord Kjeran is commander of the IKV Kzinslayer, i know a bit about the Kzin in Star Trek! I like the SFB treatment of them as an Empire better than FASA's (there was n article about the Kzin in FASA Trek in the mid 80's...not that good IMHO).

Good work on the TL, Dan.

Tony
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

"I like the SFB treatment of them as an Empire better than FASA's (there was n article about the Kzin in FASA Trek in the mid 80's...not that good IMHO)."

I'm assuming you're thinking of "The Kzinti Have Landed" by Jon Slobins in Dragon #103. I wouldn't exactly call that "Fasa's treatment" of the Kzin - it was an independant article written in a magazine not published by FASA. FASA never featured the Kzin at all, although they did feature other aspects of TAS, like Caitians and Edoans.

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    I like the SFB Kzinti and their smaller Lyran cousins, good races for antagonists in a Prime Directive adventure. I've read a couple of Man-Kzin Wars books and think they'd make a good "villian" race for any era. Does anyone want to take a shot at racial stats for these guys, or some ship designs?
    In SFB, the Kzinti are an ally of the UFP, although they did fight a war with the UFP. Their ships are normally armed with phasers, disruptors, and drones(missiles). No photon torpedoes. They're basicly two meter tall felines with attitudes, wouldn't want to have to fight one hand to hand.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

I'm planning to write up some stats for the Kzinti. haven't done it yet, but I probably will in the next couple of weeks.