Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Southeast Kansas (40 feet from the middle of Nowhere)

Advice

If any have been reading the "Fall of Arthedain", you know that the Company is about to embark on an elvish ship for a journey to Gondor. This is where I'm beginning to have a little trouble.

1. What kinds of things do I do onboard a ship? I've thought about pirates and corsairs, but it looks as if, according to the Atlas of Middle Earth, that the city of Umbar is under Gondor's control and the corsairs aren't much of a problem. I figure they will be aboard ship at least a couple of months and this is too much time to just gloss over and say, "Okay, you're on a ship in the Gray Havens and two months later, you arrive in Gondor." Something has to happen. Any suggestions and tips on how to carry them out will be greatly appreciated.

2. Once they reach Gondor, they have to convice the King to come to Arthedain's aid. This is why Lady Lorwen was chosen. I'm not that good at political intrigue and, again, would appreciate some pointers.

Thank you in advance, and I hope you all are enjoying the story so far.

dustin
    Professional soldiers are predictable, unfortunately, the world is full of amateurs.

In life, there are defining moments; it is for you to decide whether the moment will define you, or if you will define the moment.

Re: Advice

Originally posted by dustin

1. What kinds of things do I do onboard a ship? I've thought about pirates and corsairs, but it looks as if, according to the Atlas of Middle Earth, that the city of Umbar is under Gondor's control and the corsairs aren't much of a problem. I figure they will be aboard ship at least a couple of months and this is too much time to just gloss over and say, "Okay, you're on a ship in the Gray Havens and two months later, you arrive in Gondor." Something has to happen. Any suggestions and tips on how to carry them out will be greatly appreciated.

2. Once they reach Gondor, they have to convice the King to come to Arthedain's aid. This is why Lady Lorwen was chosen. I'm not that good at political intrigue and, again, would appreciate some pointers.

Some general ideas, Dustin:

While Umbar may be under Gondor's control, what happened to the Black Numenoreans who carved out realms along the coasts of Middle Earth? They can range far abroad, if you wish, for a number of reasons:
    a)Seeking news about Western Middle Earth - new lands to conquer?
    b)Seeking something important (herb? magical artifact? lore how to deal with some dread enemy?) from Gondor/Arthedain. This might tie in to intrigues at the court in Gondor too - what if a Black Numenorean befriends someone from your party. Moral dilemma once his plans, which no doubt must be naughty, come to light to the party. Heck, perhaps he's there to see that Gondor DOES NOT help Arthedain! In fact, the Witch King of Angmar, himself a Black Numenorean, has called his old brethren for help.

Let me know if this sounds good. I'm starting to think of what I want to do in my own Chronicle...
    Fire at Will!

Zzzzaaap!

Riker's Dead, Sir!

I forgot about the Black Numenorians and the fact that the WK is one. I'll have to work that in. Maybe they get ambushed in the Bay of Belafast by some....or maybe what? Keep it coming. Please.

dustin
    Professional soldiers are predictable, unfortunately, the world is full of amateurs.

In life, there are defining moments; it is for you to decide whether the moment will define you, or if you will define the moment.

As far as traveling by sea, the ship will probably stay near the coast the entire trip. They may have to stop for fresh water, or if your non-Elven players become sick of lembas, they might want to go ashore to hunt.

The ruins of Lond Daer Ened (the old Vinyalonde) are at the mouth of the Greyflood. Maybe your players (especially a Dunedain) might want to visit those ancient ruins. Who knows what might lurk there.

South of that is Enedwaith, home to Druedain (Woses) and Dunlendings. While ashore (see above) they may learn of something troubling a tribe (an ancient evil? a tribal war?)

Once you round the cape of Andrast, they might enter the realm of Corsair pirates. Perhaps while putting in for supplies (water? food? or just to stretch) they will come upon a village/town that was sacked. Maybe a war band has marched inland, and the players must stop it. Maybe they will have to attack and board the Corsair's ship after it departed from its raid (with a local noble's daughter in tow).

There are many other possibilities, I hope this helped.

I think an interesting plot develop would be for one of the character's to try and convince the ship and crew to visit one of the remnant isles of the First and Second Ages.

These include Tol Fuin, Tol Himling, and Tol Morwen off of the coast of Lindon or the legendary Meneltarma, the remnant of Numemor (peak of Meneltarma). These are mentioned in the Silmarillion p. 230, Unfinished Tales p. 13 & 14 and Silmarillion p. 281, amongst other references within the Histoy of Middle Earth Series.

What occurs at these sites is up to you, though in many respects these visits would be a spiritual journey. At the site visages of the distant ages might be had, perhaps ancient relics found, or simple storytelling by the elvish sailors amidst elvish wines. Meneltarma might have the ancient holy seat of Numenor, where the Kings of Numemor performed simple rituals to Eru once a year.

Certainly finding Meneltarma would be an adventure, as it likely lies more south than Umbar and far out into the great sea. Its location is likely not even known, though ancient maps might be first sought in Umbar.

Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-Earth details the probable location of these sights, based upon Tolkien's works.

These are all great suggestions, but some are more along the lines of an entire chronicle. My goal is not to completely sidetrack the characters, just make their lives as miserable and as dangerous as possible. What are some of the mechanics of, say, a typhoon striking the company while on the ship, for example?

The Black Numenoreans is a great idea. I even thought about an aerial attack by a couple of the Nazgul on the ship. Starting a fight is simple enough to handle. But I also want to be able to test the characters in ways that they can't solve with a sword and bow. How do I do this?
    Gimme some details of your ideas.

dustin

P.S. What do you think of the story so far? If I may ask.

Don't forget sea monsters. I'm sure there are ocean dwelling relatives of the Watcher from the gates of Moria.

Another possibility would be getting stuck in Middle Earth's version of the Sargasso Sea. The ship could get trapped in a vast plain of seaweed, along with some other ships, both recent and ancient, for the characters to explore/loot. Maybe there's a Black Numenorean ship there with its starving crew, and they'll raid the PC's ship for supplies. But eventually, the PCs should realize that it will take a combined effort from both crews to get one or both ships free. Force them to co-operate with the bad guys and give the evildoers faces and personalities so that the players realize they're up against real people, not faceless minions. The betrayal will come later, after the players start to feel some trust for the Black Numenoreans.

Alternatively, this story could play out on an island where both ships are stranded.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

I'm thinking at some point on the voyage, the Company will be attacked by a couple of Nazgul mounted on Hell-hawks. Who has any ideas about ship structure/protection stats? The ship will be heavily damaged by the Nazgul and their mounts, forcing the Company to abandon it. This leads to another question. For swim tests to reach the shore, what kind of modifiers do you suggest for any gear/weapons they choose to carry? I was thinking of a base TN of 10 with a +5 added for each piece of equipment they try to save. Not each individual item, like a sewing kit, but for large items like their packs, weapons, blanket rolls, etc. Any suggestions or comments?

dustin

In upcoming issues of the Hall of Fire, I will be writing articles pertaining to ship combat based on the starship rules outlined in the Star Trek RPG.

If anyone has any suggestions of what they definitely want to see (ship creation rules, combat, etc.) first, let me know here or send me an email.

Matt aka GOB

sea stories

How about - storms, shipwreck, slave ships, merchant fleets, pirates, ghost ship, disease, mutiny, sea monsters, evil sea spirit, food/water spoiling - must land in hostile coast to replenish, smugglers, wreckers, visit from Ulmo/Osse/Uinen/Salmar, thrown off course to uncharted island (perhaps a lost world with ancient cretures or peoples or a lost Numenorian colony who still worship Morgoth & persecute the Faithful or a hermit or a marooned evil sorceror or a memorial stone describing one of Earendil's voyages - perhaps leading to another adventure), treasure maps, sunken galleons, pearl divers

Just a few suggestions
    Sooth

Great ideas, I've played around with the storm idea and the going ashore for supplies. I thought of letting them barter for supplies with some dwarves in one scene, then a few scenes later, a storm hitting them and smashing the ship against the shores near the mouth of the Greyflood, of course, on the wrong (Cardolan) side of the river.

What I'm having trouble with is the mechanics of the storm. How do I do this as a Narrator? What are some suggestions for Tests, TNs, etc? Anyone know anything about sailing a ship in a storm? What kinds of things would the Captain and crew be doing to save the ship and how could the characters help out? I'm just a Marine, I know how to fight from them, not sail them.

Suggestions please,

dustin

Craft(Poisons)

I have a question for the group at large. One of my characters is a rogue and he has inquired about brewing his own poisons. He has put ranks into the craft skill: +1 (Attribute) +3 (Craft) +2 (Specialty:Poison).

Now the order ability lists what types of poisons, potency, treatment, etc., that one pick will give you, then each additional pick allows for more choices. But what about actually making the poison? It just seems a little flat just to pick the ability and this is what you get. I was thinking along the lines of an extended test to "make" the poison, and using the ability's description as a base to start.

For example, one ability pick gives this base poison:
    Type: Injury or Ingested
    Onset: 20 minutes or more
    Potency(TN7 vs Stam): +0
    Treatment(TN10 vs Healing): +0
    Effect: Vitality reduction
    Stages: 1

With additional ability picks, he gets more choices in one of the categories, which means if he has picked this ability six times, he can make about anything he wants.

But how would he go about actually "brewing" the poison?

dustin

First, the skill is Craft: Brewing (Poison).

To brew a poison, it would be a Craft: Brewing skill test either a set one-roll TN or an extended test, whatever your preference. The outcome would be the poison he is intent on creating.

Can you give me an example of how an extended test would work? It would be appreciated.

I'm just a Marine grunt, I need things spelled out .

dustin

The explanation of extended tests are on pgs. 224-5, but here is a condensed and maybe slightly inaccurate version.
    1. Determine what skill, attribute, whatever is to be used for the test.
    2. Determine either a time interval for tests being made or a set number of stages.
    3. Set a TN for each stage or interval.
    4. Add up the TN's for an aggregate TN.

The player(s) make the test(s), summing the interval/stage's result to the previous total until the total sum is equal to or greater than the aggregate TN. A failure of an individual test doesn't necessarily mean that the whole attempt fails, the skill's description will say if this is so or is Narrator's discretion. Disastrous Failures and Extraordinary Successes don't necessarily commend special effects other than completing the task faster or slower, but again there is Narrator discretion to this as well.