Thread: What ever happened to V'Ger?

What ever happened to V'Ger?

So it gets what it wants and then sets off back into deep space.
    Surely something 2 AU's across doesn't just vanish without trace.
    Has anything more been written about V'Ger in the novels?

And what of the Whale probe? Do we ever find out who sent it?

Crow

The energy cloud that surrounded V'ger was 2 AUs in diameter. It dissapated when V'ger got what it needed, the actual location of the Voyager probe was considerably smaller.

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Re: What ever happened to V'Ger?

Originally posted by Scarecrow
    So it gets what it wants and then sets off back into deep space.
    Surely something 2 AU's across doesn't just vanish without trace.
    Has anything more been written about V'Ger in the novels?

And what of the Whale probe? Do we ever find out who sent it?

Crow
    There was a novel written about the Whale Probe, it went into some speculation about the whale probe and it's origins, it was set just after ST IV.

It was called,

Wait for it,

PROBE (Very imaginative)

I believe it was written by M Wander Bondanno (I Think) (Spelling is probably (Make that definitley) wrong). It's been a while since i saw a copy of the book, i don't recall much about the details of the plot, except there were romulans, a muscian, and something about really big whales with telekinesis?

As for VGER, the sentient probe i believe, was supposed to have ascended to another plane of existence, hence nothing left.

No reason you couldn't use another probe on a similar journey if you want, or, there's always the planet of machines that picked up VGER, they could come'a'lookin for the probe, wondering why they didn't get even a phone call. The level of tech that created VGER and it's defences would be a threat, even in DS9/VOY + eras.

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Sundowner's spot on about "Probe". I saw it a couple of years ago, but wasn't really that interested in finding more about whales in space, to be honest. It remains in the back of my mind everytime I see STIV, though. Mainly, I think about the logistic problems of a once single species that has evolved for millennia on two different worlds, still being able to communicate efficiently...

Unless I'm misremembering, I think V'Ger did, as Sundowner suggests, asend to a different scale of existence. it was looking to evolve and Decker helped it do that. That doesn't mean V'ger is gone for good, of course. Plot-willing, V'Ger might be able to explore different realms, now. Maybe even exploring across the varied vistas of the time stream. As such, V'Ger could make an appearance in a TOS era campaign, right before Decker's dad gets chewed up by the galactic carrot also know as the Doomsday Weapon, providing the Decker part of V'ger's being the chance to either say goodbye to his father, or to yank him out of the shuttle right before he gets digested...

Who knows.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Actually, "Probe" was so heavily altered and re-written that Bonanno doesn't really like to be associated with it.

See Here.

Probe was advertised for release in April, 1991. It was, in fact, released one year later. Touting itself as "the exciting sequel to The Voyage Home," it had my name on the cover. What was left of my manuscript comprised 7% of the words between the covers.

Yes, you read that correctly: 7%. From seven words changed in Strangers to 7% of my work surviving in Probe. Obviously I no longer knew how to write a Star Trek novel. Or else the rules had changed.
    She is not, however, still mad about it, and recently wrote another Star Trek book after a long hiatus, "Catalyst of Sorrows."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Ahhh... I watched TMP (Director's Edition) last night for the first time in years and V'Ger does indeed dissipate in a flash of light at the end, leaving only the Enterprise drifting serenely towards the camera. I guess that answers my question. I had it in my head (I don't know why) that we were left to imagine it set off into deep space like the Whale Probe.

And what about that Director's Edition? Those few little touches like being able to see the V'Ger core at the end really made all the difference. I used to think TMP was just okay, now it's one of my favourite Trek movies.

Crow

V'Ger could make an appearance in a TOS era campaign, right before Decker's dad gets chewed up by the galactic carrot also know as the Doomsday Weapon

Down here we call that episode 'The Cosmic Spliff' Episode.

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Originally posted by Tas II
    V'Ger could make an appearance in a TOS era campaign, right before Decker's dad gets chewed up by the galactic carrot also know as the Doomsday Weapon

Down here we call that episode 'The Cosmic Spliff' Episode.

Cheers

Tas
    The blunt to end all blunts? Strangely enough, that episode always comes on at 4:20 here.

Snoochie boochie

Strictly Speaking

I have to agree with everybody; Probe is kinda lacking as a book. I expected a Probe II book, since it didn't answer many of the questions it raised.

i did like how the probe used it's powers to lay the smackdown on some romulans who were killing the whale-like animals on a colony world.

of course, there was the obligatory 'appearence' by the Borg!

I remember a theory that was tossed around awhile back, that the Deck/Illea/V'Ger spawn are the Borg. (i told you, they're everywhere!)

Originally posted by Tricky

I remember a theory that was tossed around awhile back, that the Deck/Illea/V'Ger spawn are the Borg. (i told you, they're everywhere!)
    This was handled in a book by Shatner co-written with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. Kirk came back to life thanks to the Borg (basically) and Spock got captured and was to be assimilated, but they determined he had already technically been assimilated. This was explained by his contact with the V'Ger probe in TMP. I think the idea was that the machine world was like...proto-borg or something. Didn't really agree with subsequent canon, but then again, the books aren't considered canon anyways.

Strictly Speaking