Thread: Another Galactic power

Post Another Galactic power

I've always thought it would be cool to see how the Fed/Starfleet would deal with a galactic power that was pretty much like them but not.

I mean, a union of peacefully aligned planets, with a similar level of tech. But I would have them have some major difference, like maybe they interfere with more primative societies all the time. (Why of course you have to guide the development of more primative worlds; otherwise how will they become members of the Galactic community?)

The Dominion was a nice step, but I wonder how the Fed would handle...er another Federation?

SFB has the ISC (Interstellar Consortium) which I will be using in UST in place of the Dominion.

I think they are more agressively peace keeping than the UFP.

Anyone know more about them?

I was thinking of something like that....say a union of planets similar to the Federation, but unlike the Federation, they fully embrace genetic engineering, bio-engineering and cybernetics...basically something similar to the United Galactica from Adam Warren's Dirty Pair comics...especially the later stuff.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Re: Another Galactic power

Originally posted by Tricky
    I've always thought it would be cool to see how the Fed/Starfleet would deal with a galactic power that was pretty much like them but not.

I mean, a union of peacefully aligned planets, with a similar level of tech. But I would have them have some major difference, like maybe they interfere with more primative societies all the time. (Why of course you have to guide the development of more primative worlds; otherwise how will they become members of the Galactic community?)

The Dominion was a nice step, but I wonder how the Fed would handle...er another Federation?
    They'd have difficulty opposing against each other. With so many common values (and I assume both will maintain democracies) then they'd be more likely to become friendly. It would be cool though.

Most of Trek has followed the Species of the Week idea with no follow up. It seems as if every species the Trek crews met was either insane, psychopathic or supra aggressive. Sanity is a scarcity out there it seems.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

All you need is a fundamental difference. Say Prime Directives. The UFP is non-interfearence. The other sees their mission as to the education and advancement of all species. So even if they have similar morals and ideaologies, they can still have bones of contention. Add to it what Highway Hoss said about Genetics and Cybernetics and you are well on your way.

Actually I am going to use all of this in Ultimate Star Trek.

Great stuff, thanks for bringing up the topic.

Originally posted by AslanC
    All you need is a fundamental difference. Say Prime Directives. The UFP is non-interfearence. The other sees their mission as to the education and advancement of all species. So even if they have similar morals and ideaologies, they can still have bones of contention. Add to it what Highway Hoss said about Genetics and Cybernetics and you are well on your way.

Actually I am going to use all of this in Ultimate Star Trek.

Great stuff, thanks for bringing up the topic.
    You're welcome.<p>BTW a suggestion for the interference part; rather than always being blatant, why not have them act more "behind the scenes"? Basically, instead of always blatant muscle flexing, they could put agents on a "primitve" world and recruit natives to push things along in the direction they want. Agents could do things like introduce advanced tech smuggled in from the Galactic Union (or whatever), remove groups and individuals hostile to their agenda and other activites designed to pave the way for when they do introduce themselves to the target world so that they are in a proper frame of mind to welcome them.
    Also for technology, make them more advanced in cybernetics, computers and genetics but have them lag somewhat behind in gross "power" and "weapons" tech. (they would have cybernetic boosted reflexes and be linked to their ships but their shields engines and weapons are somewhat inferior to the Federation's). Alternately have them go in an entirely different direction as far as weapons tech (Missiles and mass drivers w/guided shells for example with lasers used for close in work). A good example of alt tech could be the weaponry and engine technology used in the anime series Nadesico; gravity blast cannons and Phase Transistion engines.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Alternately, this other power uses a different basis for their tech. B5 style jumpgates, folding space, Traveller-esque jump engines or whatever.

Maybe another power has accessed Iconian tech and uses that.

Just a few tit-bits of ideas....more to come maybe.

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

In the Way of D'era, there's a kind of "Federation" enemy of the Romulans : the Taurhai Unity.

Ruled by the Taurhai, it seems to be less pacific than the Federation and less tolerant with "under-civilised" species.

Perhaps the Taurhai Unity is a good choice.

The FTL technology they use is very different. To move their ships, they use gravity and for FTL engine, they create "funnels" of gravity. Pretty nice.
    --
    lK.

So, what Highway Hoss is saying is something like Gary Seven from TOS: a guy sent to earth, from a superior culture, tasked to make sure we don't destroy ourselves.

So, this GU would have groups of natives, promoting technologies, social ideas, and institutions, that went along with their goals.

Kinda like space Illuminati...

....or Freemasons!