Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Block gone... New game setting coming...

Block gone... New game setting coming...

Who's still interested? Especially knowing it will be set in my Ultimate Star Trek universe...

At this rate looking like space station in the Jentris Cooridor between the Romulans and Gorns. That can change, it is only the first idea.

I was thinking it would probably be best for the players to all be Starfleet, but then again there may be room for other types as well. No Romulans or Gorns though. These must remain a mystery.

I am ready to hear ideas and engage in discussion.

Oh and for those who are of the "Once bitten, twice shy" opinion, I totally understand and you can always join in later

Okay so who's up?

I am interested.

Any idea what crew positions you want/need filled? That could help me come up with an idea for a character.

Well I want to get a feel for the setting before I start worrying about the rest of it. You know, sort of lay the carpet before moving the chesterfield in

The Jentris Cooridor was only one idea pitched by Sea Tyger on ICQ.

There are other ideas. One was a station down between the Kzin and the Klingons.

Possibilities... need discussion

This is completely off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt.

Looking at your map I think the Jentris Corridor is pretty "narrow", while that may be a good thing to focus the adventures on the (losely) neighboring Gorn and Romulans it could just as well narrow your possibilities. A station sandwiched between two hostile powers would (IMO at least) necessitate a focus on more military and defense oriented adventures and characters.

If you set the station between Gorn and Tholians or Tholians and Tzenkethi, it would open more opportunities to turn the station into a staging ground for exploration beyond the UFP borders (i.e. the Outer Rim or Typhon Expanse).
    One advantage in that would be that you could have an easier time using a more "mixed" crew than only Starfleet officers or at least use more non-Starfleet NPCs.
    Placing some races of your own design would also be easier in a setting that has just more open space, not claimed by any of the major powers.

Originally posted by Lancer
    This is completely off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Will do

Looking at your map I think the Jentris Corridor is pretty "narrow", while that may be a good thing to focus the adventures on the (losely) neighboring Gorn and Romulans it could just as well narrow your possibilities. A station sandwiched between two hostile powers would (IMO at least) necessitate a focus on more military and defense oriented adventures and characters.
    Agreed, it does seem as though the locale would call for a more military style game and a more Starfleet style establishment. Sea Tyger and I were both discussing this and I compared the idea of having a Starfleet built trading station the same as the Army building a mall.

If you set the station between Gorn and Tholians or Tholians and Tzenkethi, it would open more opportunities to turn the station into a staging ground for exploration beyond the UFP borders (i.e. the Outer Rim or Typhon Expanse).
    LOL! I see your idea. Not sure I want to delve into the Tholians just yet though As for the Tzenkethi area, I am running a game for the LGT on ICQ set in the Ferengi Sector (the otherside of the Tzenkethi) so it would feel like I was going over familier ground. Maybe too much so. I would like this game to have its' own unique setting and feel.

One advantage in that would be that you could have an easier time using a more "mixed" crew than only Starfleet officers or at least use more non-Starfleet NPCs.
    Certainly something I want to achieve, but in the end I would prefer the lion's-share of the players be Starfleet.

Placing some races of your own design would also be easier in a setting that has just more open space, not claimed by any of the major powers.
    Good point, plus I could liberally steal races from other sci-fi shows and shove them in. There is wisdom in your words grasshopper

Still doesn't forment a location for me, but does give me more things to think about.

So I would say the Tholian/Gorn are would be a no go for me, the Gorn/Romulan one is about 50%. Kzin/Klingons also 50%.

Nothing set in stone, but Lancer does make good points about what things could help make the game even better.

Exploration of a large area.

Not too military.

Room for non-Starfleeters.

what would be the mode of gaming? chat, msgbrd, email?

I am not Aslan, but from what he had told me it would be a froum game, most likely based here.

I am not Aslan...
    But he plays me on TV!

Yes it would be a forum game and not an IRC or PBEM game (though I would love to do an IRC game again).

So yes, here on the forums would be the game.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by AslanC
    But he plays me on TV!
    Sure, but he doesn't really have your charisma on the small screen.

Captain Matthew Elias Grimm, reporting as ordered!
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Okay here is the idea.

In 2219 the New Frontier Development Company purchased a Kepler-Type station and located it just outside of Federation space, near the Rimward and Leeward border of Romulan space. With the Cestus 3 colony allready in place, the NFDC felt this area would be the next colonial "boom" area.

Securing the rights to provide colonial and starship support from the Strafleet colonial Operations Command, everything was coming up roses for the NFDC.

Deep Star 6 (the 6th Deep Star facility NFDC operated) went online in 2219. A crew was hired, supplies were ferried in and contracts were offered for commercial enterprises on the station.

In 2220 the Gorn were met and hostilities errupted. This lead to all colonial operations in the area being suspended. NFDC tried to hold on, but by 2234 with the Cestus 3 massacre, no one wanted to come to Deep Star 6 and NFDC went bankrupt.

In 2240 smugglers and pirates began to use the station, keeping it opeational. Starfleet Intelligence infiltrated the operations of the station, but allowed the Orion Syndicate to eventually take control of it.

During the Genesis War (2255 - 2257) Starfleet Intelligence set up a listening post in the station, to keep an eye on Romulan fleet movements in the area, but were largely unsuccessful due to the prying eyes of the Syndicate.

When, in 2257, the Romulan senate fell to the worker's rebellion (lead by Shinzon), Starfleet realized they were going to need to keep a closer eye on the Romulan situation.

Operation Jentris Eye was drafted and appoved by the UFP Oversight Comittee. The plan called for Deep Star 6 to be cleared of the majority of Syndicate activity (the truely offensive stuff like slavery, arms dealing and contraband sales) and a Starfleet staff to take command. Under the pretense that it was to be used for colonial operations (which it would as well), it would also serve as a listening post for the monitoring of Romulan fleet activities in the Jentris cooridor.

The USS Bannockburn, NCC • 2028 (Northampton Class frigate) under the command of Captain Matthew Elias Grimm draws the straw to be assigned to the station as protector.

From 2258 - 2259 Starfleet Intelligence begins "removing" particular undesribales from the station and upgrading the station and the sensor systems needed to monitor the Romulans (and to some degree the Gorns as well).

In 2260 Starfleet is ready to transfer staff into place.

This is where the game will begin.

Sea Tyger is playing Captain Grimm, which means there is an opening for the station commander.

Beyond that I am open to character suggestions.

Thoughts?

Who is interested?

Who has questions?

Who wants gum?

Operation Jentris Eye was drafted and appoved by the UFP Oversight Comittee. The plan called for Deep Star 6 to be cleared of the majority of Syndicate activity (the truely offensive stuff like slavery, arms dealing and contraband sales)...
    So if I get this right there are still some elements of the Syndicate at work on the station, just not the major players? Why not remove them all?
    Any Syndicate operation on the station runs the risk of them coming across some information on Starfleet operations that they could sell to the highest bidder (including the Romulans).

In that case I certainly won't volunteer for the job of Security Chief.

So if I get this right there are still some elements of the Syndicate at work on the station, just not the major players? Why not remove them all?
    Any Syndicate operation on the station runs the risk of them coming across some information on Starfleet operations that they could sell to the highest bidder (including the Romulans).
    Interesting point.

1] They only needed to get rid of the power structure. Since there will still be civilian activity it is best to leave some of the Syndicate there, so they can be watched.

2] Um... cause... um... yeah.

3] I need intrigue?

In that case I certainly won't volunteer for the job of Security Chief.
    So then Lancer calls Security. Good good

Anyone else

So then Lancer calls Security. Good good
    Hey, not so fast.
    I am still thinking about it.

Count Me In!

I'd be interested in playing the station commander. What particulars do you need from me? Anything special for char gen? Any special rules for playing the game? etc.