Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "V": The second generation

Personally, I think V had a badly flawed premise from the get-go.

Any civilization technologically sophisticated enough to put its entire population aboard giant starships and move them to another planet wouldn't need to do the things that the V Aliens do to get what they want.

Water: Easier to get out of the icy comets.
    Minerals: Easier to get out of the asteroids.
    Living space: Easier to build more ships.
    Meat: Alien biochemistry. We're more likely to be poison to them.

OTOH, IIRC, Larry Niven and others once wrote a treatment for V that scrapped a lot of that stuff, and suggested that the real reason that the V aliens wanted Earth was that they had a prior claim to it... as the descendants of a race of intelligent dinosaurs who had left Earth eons before (Although now that would sound like a recycled Voyager plotline...).
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I enjoyed the V miniseries. Of course, I was 18 then and maybe my tastes have changed. I despised the V TV series.

But I always thought it was real funny that the Visitor shock troopers were such lousy shots (esp. compared to the Resistance) and they took cover behind cardboard boxes, which offer no protection from bullets.

That's got me thinking. In a battle b/t a platoon of Visitor shock troopers and similar number of Imperial Stormtroopers, who would win? Or would the battle go on until one side ran out of ammo as both forces shoot at each other w/ zero accuracy.

Make it a three-way trial with the COBRA foot soldiers and you are on to something!

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    I'm almost more curious to see how Visitor troops would fare against the Ewoks...

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Originally posted by First of Two
    Personally, I think V had a badly flawed premise from the get-go.

Any civilization technologically sophisticated enough to put its entire population aboard giant starships and move them to another planet wouldn't need to do the things that the V Aliens do to get what they want.

1)Water: Easier to get out of the icy comets.
    2)Minerals: Easier to get out of the asteroids.
    3)Living space: Easier to build more ships.
    4)Meat: Alien biochemistry. We're more likely to be poison to them.

OTOH, IIRC, Larry Niven and others once wrote a treatment for V that scrapped a lot of that stuff, and suggested that the real reason that the V aliens wanted Earth was that they had a prior claim to it... as the descendants of a race of intelligent dinosaurs who had left Earth eons before (Although now that would sound like a recycled Voyager plotline...).

1) They would need alot of comets to fullfil the needs of only one planetary population.
    2) See above...a lot of rock would be needed.
    3) And go where? I doubt they would want to live in space all thier lives.
    4) Maybe the Roswell Greys work for them so they already knew we would be palatable.

I like the dinosaur idea.

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Phantom
    4) Maybe the Roswell Greys work for them so they already knew we would be palatable.
    There's only one problem: the Roswell "Grays" (formerly members of the Ashtar Command) now work for their chief benefactor, the United States Armed Forces, using their advanced genetic engineering knowledge to mass produce M.R.E.s. It has been reported that at least one of these Grays now drives an expensive Cadillac Escalade and has a weakness for human females, fine art and so-called "bling."

It seems unlikely that they would endanger such a profitable relationship by selling humans out to space carnivores.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Originally posted by strict31
    There's only one problem: the Roswell "Grays" (formerly members of the Ashtar Command) now work for their chief benefactor, the United States Armed Forces, using their advanced genetic engineering knowledge to mass produce M.R.E.s. It has been reported that at least one of these Grays now drives an expensive Cadillac Escalade and has a weakness for human females, fine art and so-called "bling."

It seems unlikely that they would endanger such a profitable relationship by selling humans out to space carnivores.

Strictly Speaking
    Now that is FUNNY! LOL Good one.

Originally posted by Phantom
    1) They would need alot of comets to fullfil the needs of only one planetary population.
    2) See above...a lot of rock would be needed.
    3) And go where? I doubt they would want to live in space all thier lives.

I like the dinosaur idea.
    1) I think you're overestimating how much water a planetary population uses. Only 3% of Earth's water is "useable" fresh water, and 90% of Earth's fresh water is locked up in Antarctic ice. And humanity doesn't use all of what's left. Much of the rest is unreachable as deep groundwater, or is bound up as soil moisture, biomass, or in the atmosphere.

So the questions are: how much water is .3% of Earth's water, and how much of the average comet's 1X10^16 grams of water is fresh?

2) See above. How much do humans mine, how big is an average-sized asteroid? Lats I heard, the average nickel-iron asteroid was thought to contain a couple trillion dollars' worth of metals.

3) Why not? with infinite room, infinite resources, and adequate artificial gravity, what's to miss? Blue sky? You can MAKE one!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    1) I think you're overestimating how much water a planetary population uses. Only 3% of Earth's water is "useable" fresh water, and 90% of Earth's fresh water is locked up in Antarctic ice. And humanity doesn't use all of what's left. Much of the rest is unreachable as deep groundwater, or is bound up as soil moisture, biomass, or in the atmosphere.

So the questions are: how much water is .3% of Earth's water, and how much of the average comet's 1X10^16 grams of water is fresh?

2) See above. How much do humans mine, how big is an average-sized asteroid? Lats I heard, the average nickel-iron asteroid was thought to contain a couple trillion dollars' worth of metals.

3) Why not? with infinite room, infinite resources, and adequate artificial gravity, what's to miss? Blue sky? You can MAKE one!
    1) 3% of a planetary bodies water supply is still a honkin' hugh amount. I can't see how you would be able to deliver enough water, efficiently, by using just comets. Also, it's not a question of how much water a comet holds, but how much "drinkable" water does a comet hold?

2) And how many $$$ are pulled out the average nickel mine in a year?

3) What's to miss? For me a REAL blue sky, fresh air, and the aility to go anywhere without running into a bulkhead. You underestimate psychology.