Thread: More Series V Stuff...

Unhappy More Series V Stuff...

This doesn't sound good... but we don't really know the source, except that AICN is usually pretty accurate...

See the link below, then respond.

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=8559

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

Thumbs down

What I expected. Voyager was quite possibly one of the owrst sci-fi shows done. And TNG movies? God, I may be sick. But this is what happens when you let the moneymeisters into the center chair.

But don't dispair, folks: Farscape is still rocking into its third season. And JMS is about to bring us more REAL science fiction...the new B5 series.

Angry

AT this point I am really becomeing pissed. So many people have such an axe to grian with B&B that they have lost all proportion to reality, as evidence by this piece of crap. It's as if Berman comes in the morning and pisses on their wheaties and them Braga rings the door bell and asks them to read the Book of Mormon 24/7!

Nothing that has come out from Paramount has been 'blessed' by the so called insiders and pundits. Catagorically since DS9 ended everybody has been calling an end to the franchise, that there is no hope. The Academy , the klingon series, the prequal with a 29th villian, and every single one which has poped or, whoo, oh "leaked out"! Its like being traped in a perpetual trench with a buch of Italians in 1917 or Iraqi's in 1991 "Were going lose, were so sluaghtered. boo hoo" Grow up! Unless B&B have taken your first born or stolen your wife (which makes just one person in this country ), back off cool down, and get real!

I am fully prepared for a lackluster first season even part of a second, but I am also prepapred and expect to see Paramount come crashing down on the fellows if this don't work out well and get thier asses shit canned and booted back to the ALF movie production team.

Maybe I am just an optimist or have finaly snapped with all the depressing negativity or nay sayers attitude and their so called "Inside information" and "Opinions, because they Love TOS to much to see this happen". or I am in such a state having not seen any new Trek in over two years i know some trek is better than no Trek. I don;t know but in the words of a country& Western singer "here's a F^&*ing quarter go call some one"!

Breath in the good air, there thats better.

Well that was... Disappointing.

If this is true then we may have a wealth of new material to work with for the game, but also a wealth of material to pick and choose for our history.

All that said.

It might work.

Lets face it, TNG was lame at first, as was DS9 and Voyager, but they all found their feet and picked up. Sure they all had their little spatz with established canon (some more than others...), but on the whole they have entertained us for over 10 years...

My personal opinion is that the Franchise was due for a break, with maybe a couple of TV Movies to keep the engine ticking. A film focusing on this Romulan crew one time, maybe catching up with DS9 another, perhaps even a TOS or Movie era movie...

Its a shame, I think the 'double episode' one offs would have given them space to create something truely spectacular, and keep the established fans and general audience happy at the same time.

But now we'll never know, and if the previlant mood of the established fans is equally represented around the internet then the new show is likely to get cancelled in 1-2 series as the Audience figures drop dramatically. Not even enough time to get to grips with the show.

However I will make a point of watching the first episode, whatever it ends up being, and base my final judgement on how entertained I am. NOT how much canon has been altered...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Arrow

Now I don't know about you all, but I'm a die hard Star Trek fan, and like my team the SD Padres . . . come rain or shine . . . I stick with them.

Now with that said, let me continue to the heart of the matter. There have been dozens of rumors about ST:SV (series five) and none of them have panned out, so what makes you think this one will. Furthermore . . . I will agree with one of the previous postings and state that, yah, in the beginning they will stumble and fall every once and a while. This happens with all shows. Give them time . . . they'll work out the kinks.

Also, even though ST:VOY isn't my favorite show . . . it's still entertaining and better then most programming currently on air when I do decide to watch it. I think this holds true with all the Star Trek that I've watched (Short of ST:V TFF). So even if it takes a while for it to get good . . . I'm sure it'll still be more enjoyable then what ever quasireality show those ratingheads come up with.

As far as a new B5 show . . . that would be nice to see . . . but I'm not one to hold my breath on the matter . . . see Crusade (good show, short shelf-life)

Furthermore, Andromeda . . . Good GOD! What a bad show . . . IMO. Of course you all can disagree with my reaction . . . but that's just my two cents on the matter.

And Farscape . . . OK, but reminds me of VOY to much, short of the BAD acting . . . it's OK.

But Personnaly . . . the Best SciFi show on air today is Stargate SG-1, well acted . . . good writing . . . what more can one ask for.

To conclude . . . don't believe everything you hear . . . stay a while, like a flower, it takes a time to bloom.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Thumbs up

Tarbas . . . thank you so much for that last statement. Let us see past all of this bull ish and look to the heart of the matter . . . where Star Trek fans, and if you aren't go ahead, abandon ship. But me and my fellow comrades in arms wont give up this ship, she's served us well and we owe it to her to keep her afloat.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Arrow

<font color="orange">The Star Trek fandom is shrinking and everyone blames Berman.</font>

In part, Berman is to blame, like hiring Brannon Braga as replacement for departing VOY's executive producers Jeri Taylor and Michael Piller.

Personally, I'm not placing entire fault for Star Trek's decline on Berman yet. But as the head honcho of the franchise he must bear that responsibility.

Lately I question his support for Braga during the time Ron D. Moore was hired briefly for VOY who complained to Berman about Braga's leadership skill and the low morale on the production set then suddenly departed before the start of show's sixth season. And I question for his support for Braga to produce the next Trek series.

On the other hand, I commend his effort to get Gladiator writer John Logan to script the tenth Trek movie featuring the final appearing of the TNG crew.

Personally, the only person I feel is responsble for the decline of Trek popularity is Brannon Braga. The fault lies with him.

Perhaps VOY is not the kind of show he was meant to produce, even though he still think it was his best work. *shakes head*

If the next Trek TV series bombed, then perhaps it is time for Berman to reconsider his decisions and perhaps the best suggestion is to give Star Trek a break. Before I could never get enough of Trek (that was before AND during TNG series run) but now it is just too much for me ... playing the same old song over and over and over and over again.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 04-03-2001).]

Wink

What's this about Star Trek X being the final appearance of the TNG crew. I hadn't heard about that.

As for Star Trek itself, I've feel Voyager is a lackluster series. I thoroughly enjoyed DS9 and hated to see it end. But to reinterate what some of the others said. I'm a big Star Trek fan and I will continue watching Trek no matter what form it takes.

[This message has been edited by khyber (edited 04-03-2001).]

I think the key word here is lackluster -- Voyager and most of the movies made under Berman's direction lack luster, they do not shine so brightly compared to the older stuff, or some of the other shows out there.

They are really not as bad as some of the old sci fi series of years past. As bad as Voyager can be, which is pretty awful, it is still not as bad as "Lost in Space", or "Space 1999". It is still better than a sitcom.

It is hopelessly lacking in creative spark, but that has been true of Star Trek as a whole since the end of DS9, and intermitantly for a long time before that.

Some of this is certainly that Berman is basically the kind of studio exec which gave Roddenberry his problems in the old days, and Braga even more so. More central, however, is that ideas die, are exhausted. No form of art can last forever, and even Roddenberry might have trouble saving Star Trek today.

Part of the problem is that the whole appeal of the older Trek was the hopeful message of the series. That is now either a cliche (oh, another multi-racial Federation?), or virtually impossible to believe, or, often, both. It is no accident that some of the best written late DS9 episodes involved darker themes in which the Federation just doesn't act like the Federation any more.

This is part of the larger cultural sickness in which Americans, in particular, keep their worst traits, while losing faith in their best. Like it or not, we are living in a culture in which bad intentions are cool, and idealism is laughable. In such an environment, Star Trek must either become its own antithesis, or die "naturally".

------------------
    Slan agat!

Angry

I don't believe it.
    OK, Voyager was not so good and I also got the feeling that Berman acts sometimes a little bit strange regarding Star Trek. But that statement is a bit drastic.
    I agree with his opinion about a new Trek series. We realy don't need a new one. Voyager was ok, nothing more nothing less, but there are no more stories left, not already told and there are also no new ideas. I think Series V will be the end of Star Trek.
    But I don't like his statements about the movies. They are not that bad and it is a bit extreme to say that everthing Berman made is crap. It could have been worse. I liked Generations, it was not the best movie but a good one. First Contact was my favourite movie and Berman was responsible for it. Insurrection is not so good, but I have the best hopes for the next movie. STX should be the glourios end of Star Trek TNG. A dramatic battle for the ideals of Star Trek and i won't give up hope for the new movie. I believ that Berman knows what Star Trek means to the fans and please, I don't want to hear that Star Trek TOS was the best and original and it was so outstanding and DS9 is not Trek because its war and rabababab... TOS is 30 years old. It is an excellent series no doubt but you can not compare that easily a series from 1990 and a series from 1969. The situation in that days was completly different. The pressure of the TV stations is enorm these days and they had to do something like DS9. Like it or not, no one wants to see the old Star Trek. This is not my opinion it is reality. The Star Trek fandom is shrinking and everyone blames Berman.

I am not a Berman fan, actually I don't like him, but I won't abondon all hope. Star Trek is to important to me.

OK, that was that. Sorry for the spelling mistakes but I was a little bit angry about that statement.

By the way, thank you all for keeping Star Trek alive this way as it was ment: united and in friendship

------------------
    www.StarTrek-AlphaSquad.de -
    "United they stand"