Thread: James Doohan to Retire from Convention Circuit

James Doohan to Retire from Convention Circuit

At age eighty-four, James Doohan has apparently decided to call it quits with the conventions and retire. Some of the article from StarTrek.com is copied here:
    James Doohan's Convention Farewell

On August 28-30, 2004, Planet Xpo will pay tribute to the man behind one of the most beloved characters in all of Star Trek — James Doohan — in a convention called "Beam Me Up Scotty ... One Last Time." This unique, licensed event will take place all weekend at the Rennaisance Hollywood Hotel. According to the organizers, this is without a doubt the last time you will be able to see Doohan on stage.

As an added bonus, almost the entire remaining cast from the Original Series will all be on stage that Sunday afternoon. Confirmed guests, besides Doohan, include William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, Majel Barrett Roddenberry, and Grace Lee Whitney, plus dozens of guest stars from the classic Trek series and movies.
    I remember the university days, back in '87 - lo those many years ago - and James Doohan was scheduled to speak at my school. The on-rush for tickets that this instigated was, up until that point, unprecedented; the school started up a Star Trek club the next year as a result of the enthusiasm that had obviously been generated.

I wish the man the best in his - now full - retirement, but I can't help but think how this is yet another tick of the clock marking the passage of time between TOS's halcyon days and now. Ah well...

He's earned some time to himself. I wish him happy retirement.

Yep, all the best to him. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

*Raises a Glass of Plum whine* too his health
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Talking

"Captain, I cannae fit through the convention hall doors anymore!"

In all seriousness, I wish James good health and relaxation in his retirement from the connie circuit.

I mean, how many of us could endure years of going to the same conventions, surrounded by the same geekoids in Klingon garb saying "that Azbetur bitch did not kill her own father!

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."