Thread: By Your Own Design: Enchanted Items

By Your Own Design: Enchanted Items

What are some enchanted items you created for your chronicles?
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!

Whistle of Summoning

I have created a whistle of summoning for my first chronicle which we will be starting in two weeks. With this whistle which will be given to the party by Rhadaghast the Brown, they will be able to summon the Great Eagles from anywhere in Middle Earth, but only in times of greatest need. If they abuse it's use the Eagles will merely ignore it.
    Silent Dusty
    Funk Lord of the Sith

Post A Few Heroic and Magic Items

Here's a few I made for my fourth age chronicle.

Enjoy!

LQ
    -------------------------------------------------

Gaurcrist: This is a longsword with fine etchings along the centre of the blade depicting the phases of the moon. Its hilt is wrapped in green leather and inset in the pommel is a pale golden gemstone. Gaurcrist grants its wielder a +1 attack and damage bonus against werewolves; and when a werewolf is slain with the sword, the golden gemstone brightens ever so slightly.

Tinlothir: This thin, silver headband is inset with a dozen tiny rose-coloured gemstones. The person wearing the circlet radiates a pleasant rosy scent as if she had just bathed in scented water. Furthermore, no matter how fouled or soiled the wearer becomes, a mere splashing of water removes all traces of filth and odour from her body and clothing.

Lindalóm: This beech-wood flute is delicately engraved to depict a leafy vine. When the flute is winded, all those within 25 yards are inspired to greatness, gaining a +1 bonus to all combat and skill tests for one minute. Servants of the Enemy and evil creatures do not gain this bonus. The flute must be played for an entire minute before the inspiring effect occurs; and, because of its remarkable qualities, only those with four or more ranks in Perform (Flute) may play it.

Carcelebrin: Carcelebrin is a gleaming longsword with etchings along its blade, revealing its name. The sword's scabbard is fashioned of hardened black leather and is reinforced with silver bands. Delicate silver filigree on the scabbard depicts a rearing horse beside a tree, as well as the sword's lineage. Carcelebrin will never dull or tarnish so long as it is kept in its own sheath, and the blade is exceptionally durable (it cannot be broken except by a weapon of greater power, such as a magical weapon—at the Narrator’s discretion).

Elendúlan: This midnight blue silk shawl is trimmed with a white border and stitched with silver thread to depict a starry sky. The person wearing the shawl gains 2 armour points and gains a +2 bonus to Intimidate tests made at night.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

LQ and SD...

Unless it is something you do not prefer, <i>The Hall of Fire</i> would like to present your submissions here in a future issue, in the Fan Flavour.

Please respond if you do not want your material incorporated. Also let me know if you want to have your real name with the article of submission, or your pseudonym.

If so, answer this post with your name.

Thanks,

Tomcat
    Last edited by Tomcat; 05-29-2004 at 11:06 AM.

Enchanted Item

I would be honored to have my whistle appear in HOF, I look forward to every issue. You guys do an excellent job!

You can use my username or my real name or both up to you.

Dustin Colwell aka Silent Dusty
    Silent Dusty
    Funk Lord of the Sith

Thumbs up

Hi Tomcat,

Feel free to use the items I posted above for the Hall of Fire. I'd be honoured to have some stuff in there. Schweet.

Steven A. Cook

aka LQ

P.S. The following "flavour" text was actually part of a submission I was working on for the Hall of Fire. The above items were designed as "heroic items" not magic per se. This text was to be included before the items were listed. If you like it, feel free to use it as well.

------------------------------------------------------
    Heroic Items in Middle-earth

by Steven A. Cook

In the ancient days of the mighty Kings of Númenor, the craft of forging heroic items flourished. For thousands of years, the forges of master craftsmen burned with passion and many enduring blades, steelbows, spears and axes were made. The craft of forging heroic arms is subtly different than that of forging magic arms, and many smiths of Westernesse who were not keen in the arts of magic used these secret techniques to produce great and powerful weapons of war.
    However, not only instruments of war were made, but also jewellery and other tokens of beauty and status. These finely wrought treasures of silver and gold gleamed upon the brows and hands of many noblemen and ladies of Númenor as if infused with the light of Eärendil the Blessed.

Before the downfall of Númenor, the great craftsmen of Westernesse brought to Middle-earth their knowledge and skills. Though the lore was rarely passed to those people of lesser bloodline and race, it lasted through the generations, from father to son, and remained an art embodying the pride and glory of the Númenorean spirit. After the fall of Sauron and the long years of the Third Age, the lore dwindled, along with the majesty of the Númenorean race. By the time of the Rise of the House of Stewards, the lore was already spoken of with mystery and awe.

In the Second Age, the Elves of Eregion were potent smiths and craftsmen. Not only did they forge Rings of Power and other items of great magic, but also they poured their wisdom and spirit into many heroic items before the fall of their realm to the power of Sauron. Befitting the secret nature of the Elves, they taught their craft to few Men, but while the legendary friendship with the Dwarves of Khazad-Dûm lasted, much craft lore was indeed passed from the Elves to the Dwarves.

Throughout the ages, no outsiders have known the secret heroic crafting arts of the Dwarves. Their forges and smithies have always been shut to prying eyes and their techniques jealously guarded.

In the modern age, the secret lore of the ancient masters is largely forgotten. The passing of the ages, the fall of many once-great Houses of Men, the scattering of peoples across the lands, and the incursions of the Enemy have worked to all but wipe this ancient lore from the annals and memories of the craftsmen of Middle-earth. However, despite these calamities, traces of the craft still survive. Perhaps the knowledge exists in the long enduring forges of Middle-earth themselves or in the burning spirit of the land, waiting to be brought forth.

Qualities of Heroic Items

Like that of creating magical items, the craft of forging heroic weaponry is complex, subtle and time consuming. The slightest impurity in the ore used to create the steel can ruin a blade, and all a craftsman’s efforts to forge and temper the blade will prove vain. Even the most minuscule variance in temperature while forging the steel will produce a faulty blade when it is submerged in water and cooled. Once an item is finished, the craftsman fuses his very spirit and essence of being into it—how this is done, only the maker knows, and it is the ancient lore that the crafters of heroic items keep a close secret. Truly, crafting a heroic weapon is an art; and one that only the most patient and meticulous craftsmen ever perform. Some call the process of creating heroic items magic and others call it keen craftsmanship. While the latter is certainly true, only the masters of the art know the whole truth.

Heroic items are similar to magic items in that they provide certain bonuses or special powers to the user. They are different from magic items in that the special bonuses or powers are entirely dependent upon the crafter of the item and the lineage and history of the item. In a sense, heroic items are living items—they take on the personalities of its creator and owner, turning the spirit of the crafter and the will and purpose of the owner into innate ‘powers.’

For example, if the owner of a heroic sword is righteous and faithful and uses the blade throughout his lifetime in a great campaign to purge his homeland of orcs, the weapon might over time develop special powers to defeat orcs and to resist the touch of evil hands. Similarly, if a heroic bow is passed down through generations of troll hunters, the bow may take on the ability to strike true to the heart of a troll when an arrow is loosed from its string at one of the fell creatures.
    Last edited by Liquidator Queeg; 05-29-2004 at 08:40 PM.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

For my First Age game, I've created the following artifacts:

Cu i-Melain ("Bow of the Powers")
    Thingol recalls that this extraordinary weapon was, "crafted by Aule, it was one of many gifts given to us by Orome in the days of the Great Journey. Hard as iron yet supple as a sapling." As Morgoth had already begun tormenting the Elves prior to their decision to undertake the Great Journey, the chieftains and best hunters of the Eldar were given these magnificent weapons to protect themselves and their people from fell creatures. Most of these bows went across the Sea with those Elves who completed the Journey, but some remained behind with the Teleri who yet dwell in Middle-earth.

The Cu-i-Melain is crafted of wood almost as dark as iron and strung with what seems to be a very thin strand of metal, perhaps silver or steel.

Stats: +5 Ranged Combat tests, +3 vs. creatures of the Shadow. Range (PB/S/M/L/X): 10/50/100/200/+50.

Black Arrows. The companions to Cu-i-Melain are long, black arrows fletched with the feathers of black swans. There is only one quiver of these arrows known to have ever existed. (Note to Narrators: Now you know where Bard's black arrow came from. An interesting chronicle idea would be to follow this quiver from age to age.)

Stats: These arrows do +3 damage to creatures of Shadow. The owner of the arrows can sense their presence if they are near as with the Sense Power ability of the Elves. (Note to Narrators: Of course, if the arrows are destroyed or taken a great distance away from the owner, he cannot use this ability.)

Airambë ("Holy Shout")
    When Arandil of Tirion assumed his duty as herald of Finrod, he was given this exquisite instrument by his lord and friend, himself a lover of music and gifted musician. Made entirely of silver, and in form like a small ox horn, it is bound about with carvings and the device's of Finw&euml; and Eronw&euml;. It's name is engraven about the rim.

Stats: +2 to Inspire, and it can be heard twice as far away as normal horns.
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!

Southeast Kansas (40 feet from the middle of Nowhere)

Horn of Boromir

Description:

Very similar in size and shape to the Horn of Gondor, carried by Boromir, that was destroyed in the War of the Ring. It is an ivory horn made from the tusk of the mumakil slain by Legolas during the Battle of Pelenor, with a mouth-piece and end-piece made of gold and engraved with various scenes depicting the War; including the death of Boromir, the fall of the Witch-King, and the coronation of Ellesar, among others.

History:

Created by the Dwarves of the Glittering Caves, the Horn was presented to Faramir, Steward of Gondor, as a replacement to the one destroyed when his brother, Boromir, was killed. It was said that when sounded, like the the Horn of Gondor, it could be heard by the Steward and his heirs, but also by all of the Heroes of the West and their heirs.

Originally known as the Horn of the Reunited Kingdom, it became known as the Horn of Boromir early in the Fourth Age. Legend says that during a battle in FA 30 with some remnants of the Shadow's allies in the East, Farmir sounded the horn to inspire his men at a critical moment. Many of the veterans of that battle later claimed that after the horn was blown, the ghost of Boromir appeared on the battlefield and fought alongside them, terrifying the enemy into a head-long rout. Faramir never made such a claim, but he never denied it either, recognizing that such a legend could prove valuable in dire circumstances.

Use:

Cost: 1 Action

Like the Horn of Gondor, the Horn of Boromir, when sounded, provides a +4 bonus to Intimidate tests for two rounds, but it also inspires men who hear it to great feats normally beyond their abilities. For anyone who hears [Observe (Hearing) TN5, +5 per 50 yards], it adds:

1) +5 to all combat-related tests (Armed, Ranged, and Unarmed Combats, dodge and parry actions) for two rounds.
    2) +5 to Courage for two rounds, instead of +3.
    3) One free action with no multiple action penalty.
    4) Gain one free Courage.

Choose any one for a Marginal Success, two for a Complete, three for a Superior, and four on an Extraordinary Success.

Whether the Ghost of Boromir actually appears on the battlefield is entirely up to the Narrator. All TNs and benefits outlined above are also at the Narrator's discretion, feel free to play with them as you see fit.

dustin
    Professional soldiers are predictable, unfortunately, the world is full of amateurs.

In life, there are defining moments; it is for you to decide whether the moment will define you, or if you will define the moment.

Lintelpe (singing-silver )

This instrument is a remnant of the might of the Kingdom of Arnor. It was lost in the fall and sundering of the kingdom, and its silver fire extinguised.

It would be a great boon to any minstrel who is pure of heart and skilled in his hands. But be ware ye whose heart harbors evil, for the instrument will not bear to be suilied by impure hands, burning them, instead, with a holy fire.

The harp is made of the purest silver, and when held by a son of the kingdom of Arnor, it gleams brightly. It's song is sweet and stirring, lifting the hearts of all who hear it

-----------------------------------

This is a harp made of the purest silver. Its tone is so pure, that it grants a +5 Bonus to any Perform test, as well as to inspire tests, to anyone who has at least four ranks in perform (harp). Also, it restores heart to the weary of heart and hand. With a test (TN 20), the harper may restore one level of weariness and three courage points to any man, elf, hobbit, or dwarf within hearing range. This ability may only be used once per gaming session.

However, if someone with an impure heart (more than two Corruption) tries to play the harp, they are burned by the harp's holy fire (2d6 damage + 2 for every additional corruption point above two).

------------------------------------

If you think its good enough for HoF, you can use it.
    Last edited by Breamar; 06-16-2004 at 09:46 PM.
    Mae Govannen! Elen Sila Lumenn onmentivelo!

Originally posted by Liquidator Queeg

Heroic Items in Middle-earth
    I have to say that I have a quibble with the "creation" of heroic items. While well written this process seems little different than the creation of magical items. To my mind, heroic items gain special qualities due to their long association with heroic action and individuals. Durin's Axe, Narsil/ Anduril, and the the Horn of Gondor seem to have their special abilities due to their legacy. When created they were likely no more than ordinary masterworks.

I would suggest changing the text to describe the creation of items of power in ages past without the direct use of magic, but not calling them "heroic". Indeed, weapons such as the blades carried by Merry and Pippin were likely fairly common in the First and even Second Ages... they are merely masterworks of their time, now considered exceptional due to the loss of lore which makes such things rare at the end of the Third.

Lastly, my personal rule is that "heroic" items give their bonuses only to those who recognize them for what they are, and perhaps only to certain individuals. Glamdring will glow and hew armor no matter whether the one who weilds her knows her legacy or not. Anduril will only yeild benefits to the heir of Elendil... the benefits to Inspire and Intimidate are due as much to the weilder's state of mind as anything else. Only a Dwarf who recognizes Durnin's Axe and feels himself worthy will gain special benefits from it, beyond perhaps it's basic masterwork bonuses.
    Last edited by calguard66; 06-22-2004 at 10:39 AM.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Calguard:

Considering that Narsil was forged by Telchar, the greatest Dwarven smith ever, I'm surprised Narsil was not an enchanted item. Several of the stats for legendary items seem awkward when considering the abilities of those who made them.

However, I really like your rule for heroic items.
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!

Whoah! I can't believe I missed this thread the last couple of days!

Originally posted by calguard66
    I have to say that I have a quibble with the "creation" of heroic items. While well written this process seems little different than the creation of magical items.
    You're right. I had intended at some point to rework the text and remove the bits about creating heroic items as it seemed to me too much like "making magic".

To my mind, heroic items gain special qualities due to their long association with heroic action and individuals. Durin's Axe, Narsil/ Anduril, and the the Horn of Gondor seem to have their special abilities due to their legacy. When created they were likely no more than ordinary masterworks.
    Absolutely, heroic items are like "living" items, as I mentioned in the text. I also felt that the creator's talent and ability should somehow "jump start" or, at least, influence an item's legacy. I think I just wrote it out poorly.

I would suggest changing the text to describe the creation of items of power in ages past without the direct use of magic, but not calling them "heroic". Indeed, weapons such as the blades carried by Merry and Pippin were likely fairly common in the First and even Second Ages... they are merely masterworks of their time, now considered exceptional due to the loss of lore which makes such things rare at the end of the Third.
    Good suggestions! Thanks for the feedback Cal, I appreciate it. I'm going to rework this stuff soon and your opinions have definitely helped me re-shuffle some ideas in my head.

Cheers,

LQ