Thread: Richard Biggs has passed on...

Unhappy Richard Biggs has passed on...

Richard Biggs passes away
    B5's Doctor Franklin dies suddenly, aged 43

Posted on http://www.b5tv.com/greatmaker/articles/288/

It's our very sad duty to report on the death of Richard Biggs, who played Doctor Franklin in Babylon 5. He was 43.

. Michael Straczynski broke the news of Richard's death in a post to the moderated B5 newsgroup:

"I was awakened today with several phone calls from cast members and Doug [Netter] to pass along the terrible news that this morning, Richard Biggs passed away.

"We're still gathering information, so take none of this as firm word, but what seems to have happened, happened quickly. He woke up, got up out of bed...and went down. The paramedics who showed up suggested it was either an aneurysm or a massive stroke.

"His family members have been informed, and all of the the cast have, as far as we can determine, also been informed.

"This is a terrible loss for all of us. Richard was a consummate professional but more than that he was an honorable, stand-up guy. If he gave you his word on something, you never had to wonder about it afterward. He was always helpful and supportive of all the cast, even those who only came in for one episode, always with a ready smile and determined to do whatever it took to make the scene work. He was, quite simply, a terrific guy, and everyone here is just devastated at the news.

"More word as this develops. We may try to have some kind of fund raiser to help give whatever assistance may be helpful for his kids.

"We all miss him terribly."

Biggs brought Franklin to our screens from the first regular episode of B5 "Midnight on the Firing Line", to the very last episode "Sleeping in Light". He appeared in three out of the four TNT-produced TV movies, "In the Beginning", "Thirdspace" and "River of Souls" and when reprising his character of Franklin was the only major B5 actor to appear in short-lived spin-off Crusade.

Away from B5 his TV appearances included Days of Our Lives, Tremors, J.A.G., NYPD Blue and Touched by an Angel.

Sympathies from everyone at B5TV.COM go out to Richard's friends and families. This is is B5 fandom's equivalent to the loss of Deforest Kelly from Star Trek. B5 fandom will no longer be complete without his valued attendances at conventions, and without what might have been his inclusion in the new B5 project. He will be missed.

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Sad news. I once saw him appear with Jason Carter at a convention in Springfield, MA. Though I didn't get to talk with him, I was amazed how much love and passion he showed for his work and how kind he was to the fans.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Sad news indeed.

Both Franklins are now gone.

So not good news.

Goodbye, Richard. And thank you.

--mac

You have got to be joking....

Bloody hell.

Rarely does a celeb death stun me but... er.

Genuinely upset by this.

We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Holy...!

Sad news,

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Damn!

Richard Biggs had the best character in B5, IMHO, in terms of being a 'real' person (Although Ivanova and Garibaldi run in a close second).

I, for one, will mourn.

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Unhappy

"Each voice enriches us and ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us." -- G'Kar
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Wow, this was a shocker Condolances to the Family

omfg!!!!!

like a loss in my own family. He will be missed.
    Wm. Eric Downton

Freelance Web & Graphic Design
    http://www.dotmatrixdesign.com

Gaming Goodies & Other Stuff
    http://www.neurozombie.com

Wow.

I wish I could say something more profound but... wow.

Condolences to the family. He will be missed.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

I too saw both him and Jason Carter at a convention 2 years ago in Montreal. It was my 1st convention ever and I was attending because my store had a booth there. The day before we had, err, stayed up late and during the convention I was stricken with a severe case of fever. So I found a couch on the hotel floor and crashed there. Later I only woke up when I heard a lot of comotion and it was the main feature in the main room, which was the gig Biggs and Carter did. So I gathered up my strength and staggered to the hall. It was worth it, both were extremely funny and the audience loved them. I could remember that they made me laugh so hard it hurt because I was coughing at the same time and it made my head hurt even more (!) I mean the convention was really small and they did their gig in a small room yet they gave all they got. Anyways that's what I remember of him.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg