Thread: CODA Jedi II

CODA Jedi II

For those who have been trying to access this data for the last several weeks, you have my apologies. Since I am unable to create links for a direct download I have loaded the files at my webpage
    Villa Aelius
    The page you arrive at has the listings for Jedi, the Force, Lightsabers, and several elite professions (Ace, etc...).
    The page itself is pretty basic, I put it together just for this.
    However I look forward to hearing any feed back, good, bad, or indifferent. If there are any questions I will be happy to answer them. I should be on the computer more often this week, and will try to get here to see how this is going.
    When someone tries this please let me know how it goes. I hope that I have finally succeeded in making these available to Trek.RPG, the one place I know my work will get an audience willing and able to appreciate it. Even if you don't like it.
    Last edited by aelius; 05-25-2004 at 11:09 PM.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Hmmm... I've only read thru your stuff briefly, but nothing glaringly poor has jumped out at me. CODA does seem a good fit for the Space Opera style of SW.

I'll look it over more thouroghly and post, but I would like to say that you obviously put some time anf effort into this, and I personally always appreciate good honest work for it's own sake.

Incidentally, a CODA Dark Jedi might make an interesting villan for Trek types, suitably "disguised". All the reliance on scientific explanation that the averge SF officer has, bumped up against the unexplainable... Cuthulu-Trek, anyone?

Target on the mover!

Thanks for the feedback. I actually use the Jedi in my Star Trek: Triangle campaign. The Force is simply another way of using Psionic abilities.
    In fact, there is a Dark Jedi wandering around being a pest.

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

Random thought: I imagine a lightsaber could deflect a phaser or disruptor blast...

Klingon Jedi, baby!

Originally posted by Ineti
    Random thought: I imagine a lightsaber could deflect a phaser or disruptor blast...

Klingon Jedi, baby!
    That would be the professional ability, Lightsaber Defense, listed in the Jedi base profession.
    A Klingon Jedi would be unlikely considering their attitude towards Psionics. Of course, a Dark Jedi might find a talented Klingon as a child and raise him to be his apprentice.

Capt. Coryn Windsabre

Hellooo! Is there anybody out there?
    The counter keeps going up so I know people are looking at the thread. I was, however, looking for some feedback on the Jedi professions and the conversion of the Force. I have not really had the chance to give the rules a good playtest, so I was interested in anything other people familiar with the CODA rules have to say about the project.
    Any comments, criticisms, or general remarks would be welcome.
    Thank you.

Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I gave it a quick look, and overall it looks good. I think the main thing that hit me was that it felt way too close to what WotC and WEG did with the setting. This stuff has been around for years, though, and I don't know if a clean start is workable. I would think many folks attempting to do a Coda version of SW may inevitably be influenced by what's been done already.

A few suggestions on Coda Jedi, take 'em or leave 'em:

Break Force Training into it's three components, to make it clearer that the PA must be taken once for each ability. I know the text says this, but it's only one sentence in a long description.

It seems that this document had its genesis in the d20 SW system (Sense, Control, Alter -- at least, that's where I saw those divisions first). But you've mixed light side and dark side skills (Move Object and Force Lightning, for example). I think this is a *good* thing; I've always believed that the difference between Jedi and Dark Jedi isn't what they do, but why they do it.

Does <em>Sense Force</em> cover the vague glimpses of the future occasionally afforded Jedi? If so, you might want to note that as a possibility.

Somehow, Palpatine has been concealing his nature from a great many people who should be able to determine at least that he is an adept. This suggests a skill that permits an adept to conceal his sensitivity to the Force. Perhaps this ability belongs under Alter? Whether or not it is something a Jedi would normally do is more a philosophical debate...

I think perhaps Preferred Weapon shouldn't be available for any weapon except the light saber. We really haven't seem much evidence that Jedi are rigorously trained to use anything else.

Could Burst of Speed be abused? I'm not sure, I'd have to play test it to be certain. Perhaps too frequent uses should impose a STA reaction test. I would not allow it to be stacked.

I would permit the Force Whirlwind to last as long as the Jedi wished, but require him/her to spend an action each round to maintain it.

For specified favored attribute, I'd say agility. For suggested second favored attribute, perception, strength, intelligence, and for favored reaction, quickness.

These are all minor concerns; overall, it looks quite nice to me!

Ineti: The resemblance to D20 Star Wars is entirely intentional. I used the D20 SW book for the conversion, and tried to keep it as close as possible while still making it fit into my Star Trek campaign.
    Fesarius: The light side and dark side skills are mixed in the d20 version, and I simply continued to list them alphabetically. The skills I chose are mostly from the d20 game, but I picked a couple from the Tales of the Jedi book from the WEG game. I believe that book listed a Sith Talisman that provided a shield against detection of Force use. Palpatine could have been using something like that just as easily as a skill. I also think Force Stealth might do the job. I let preferred weapon cover other weapons in case someone is playing a character from another Force tradition. There really isn't much prospect of that in either my game or in a SW game, but the rules for it are in the d20 game so I ported them over from the Jedi Handbook (or something like that) by WOtC. I'm sure burst of speed could be abused, but I already calmed it down a bit (a small bit) from the d20 rules. The favored stats and reactions are not listed because I have been using the LOTR rules for that and simply allowing the players to decide which stats and reactions to favor.
    As to your other points, I'll look into it and decide if I'll change them. They both look to be good ideas at first glance, so I'll probably go for it.
    Thanks for the notes.

Capt. Coryn Windsabre