Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep Star 6 - Game Thread

R'rssar

As the converstion between McKeown and Lt.Cmdr. Romero drifts back to tales about Kilimanjaro, R'rssar turns to Cpt. Grimm.

"I must apologize for my behavior, Captain Grimm. I had no intention to make anyone uncomfortable, especially not such a gracious host as you." R'rssar ends that statement on a long deep purr and raises her cup in salute.

Worphin raises his glass as well and says "Indeed Captain, and with one of the guests of honor retreating for the evening, I had best get to the bridge and keep an eye on the night shift." He nods to everyone and then makes his way out.

PRE-DINNER
    Savanna walked to the Reception area of the Bannockburn, either smoothing out wrinkles in her uniform skirt or checking her fingernails for dirt or grease. She scolds herself for missing a spot on her left boot. "Hell of a way to make an impression." she says quietly to herself as she steps up to the door of the Captain's Table.

DINNER
    Fields sat quietly as she listened to the chatter between the senior officers. Inside though, she was glad to finally get the chance at "eating at the head table". Being from a large family on the island of Jamaica, it was a sign of adulthood to get a chance to eat with the adults. A passage to adulthood of sorts.

Savanna doesn't join in much of the conversations. She is a bit shy still around people she hasn't yet come to know. She chides herself, knowing this is something she will need to bust if to continue her career in Starfleet.

At a break in the conversation, she looks to the Captain. "Capt. Grimm, any stories to tell us of your last command?"

~~~~
    Sorry for the delay getting into the scene. Better late than never?
    "Sir, we're getting an increase in the ..."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Re: R'rssar

Originally posted by Lancer
    "I must apologize for my behavior, Captain Grimm. I had no intention to make anyone uncomfortable, especially not such a gracious host as you." R'rssar ends that statement on a long deep purr and raises her cup in salute.
    Originally posted by AslanC
    Worphin raises his glass as well and says "Indeed Captain, and with one of the guests of honor retreating for the evening, I had best get to the bridge and keep an eye on the night shift." He nods to everyone and then makes his way out.
    "Okay, John. I'll see you at 0600," Grimm says, his eyes briefly falling on his XO before turning back to the young Caitian.

"No apologies are necessary, Doctor," Grimm replies, casting a sideways glance at his own CMO, the mischievous look in his eyes clearly indicating that his next statement is purely in jest. "Your colleague here frequently has a need to boast on the size of his....scalpel. But, he is a good man and an excellent doctor -- as he has told me many times.

"Seriously, Dr. Jacoby is a font of knowledge and experience in matters medical and otherwise," he says, clapping his hand on Emile's shoulder. "You would be wise to take advantage of that knowledge as often as possible; I do. It can't be said that Emile Jacoby ever turned down a request to hear him opine."

Despite the jabs at the doctor, the genuine friendship between Grimm and his CMO are readily apparent.

Originally posted by Prompt Critical
    At a break in the conversation, she looks to the Captain. "Capt. Grimm, any stories to tell us of your last command?"
    "My last command was over five years ago," Matthew replies, pausing to take a sip of his brandy. "I spent a year as the brigade commander for the corps of cadets at the Academy. So, unless you want to hear the standard bawdy stories of midshipman misconduct, you may want to ask me about the Devonshire."

He takes another sip of brandy, giving the young officer enough time to beg off the question. When it doesn't seem forthcoming, he continues, "Well, back when I was still a lowly lieutenant, we had this XO who developed a sleepwalking problem. The first time it became a problem was when we were playing cat-and-mouse with a Klingon D-7 through a series of nebulae in the Beta Yonaris region.

"Lieutenant Commander Maldonado had been on the bridge for about 18 hours straight after the captain had been critically injured in the first scrap with the Klingons," he explains, leaning forward on the table as if speaking in confidence. "The poor woman was about to fall out when the doctor finally threatened to relieve her of duty with a 'sleep aid,' as he called it. So, I was given the conn and she went off to bed.

"Well, apparently she took enough time to get into her nightgown before going to sleep," Grimm says. "About two hours later, we sighted the D-7 trying to make its way into one of the nebulae. I was under orders from the doctor not to wake her for another six hours, so I'm running the conn from the helm console as we tried to intercept the Klingons before they escaped into the nebula.

"Now, some of this is conjecture, based on 'evidence' found later, but the XO apparenlty had an episode, and stumbled out of her cabin on Deck 5, still sleeping. She entered the turbolift and called for the bridge, but apparently the bottom her nightgown was trailing somewhat behind her and got caught in the door."

Grimm paused for effect before continuing. "Imagine my surprise when the bridge lift doors open, and there's Commander Maldonado stepping out in her skivvies and the remains of her nightgown, cut off at her midriff," he says, using his hand to she just how far up the tear was. "The worst part was, that was also about the point that she woke up. I don't think I ever saw her move so fast.

"Needless to say, she had a medical sensor installed on her cabin door to prevent it from opening the next time."
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

LTCDR Romero

Originally posted by Age of Toast
    After an appropriate interval, he returned his gaze to Romero.

"Commander? I believe you were telling us about Kilamanjaro..."
    Alejandra nods and finishes of her glass of wine. Leaning forward a bit, she resumes her tale.

"So we're camped there about half a day's hike from the base of the mountain, and H'raal, the Caitian cadet I mentioned before," her head inclines slightly towards Dr. R'rsarr by way of illustration, "hasn't been seen for nearly two hours. We're all set to start searching for him, Sevek is suggesting the most efficient way to quarter the countryside, and up walks H'raal with, I kid you not, a whole antelope over his shoulder. And the first words out of his mouth are 'I told you I don't need to study for my Planetary Survival final.' I think even Sevek smiled at that."

She continues on for a couple more minutes, describing some of the more technically challenging pitches of the ascent, the view from the top, and their collective discovery that the Vulcan respiratory system and cold, humid conditions don't mix terribly well.

"Seems there is such a thing as too much Vulcan efficiency, at least as far as preventing moisture loss while breathing goes. Sevek ended up with the worst cough I have ever seen in a Vulcan, though I admit little other experience in this area. Took him about three days to recover. After that, he always brought a filter mask along for those sorts of trips."
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

R'rssar

R'rssar listens attentively to the story Alex Romero is telling, at least the part about the Caitian cadet, but when the narrative turns to the more technical aspects of the ascent R'rssar turns to the Bannockburn's CMO.

"Doctor Jacoby, as it seems you have been in this region of space before, maybe you could tell me a little bit about the species we are likely to encounter. All our briefings have so far focused on the Gorn and the Romulans, but the information provided on the, let's say local players, is sketchy at best."

Jacoby puffs ob his pipe in thought for a moment. "Well Doctor, the Romulans and Gorns are the primary denizens of the area, but you will also find many Orions in the sector as well. Humans of course and the scattering of other various species. " He leans back. "Now at the end of the Jentros Corridor, that is a whole other story. It is said that there are dozens of new races that are just waiting to be made contact with, after a fashion. Perhaps that is one of the pleasures Captain Grimm will get after we stablize the Corridor, non?"

=-=-=-=-=-=

[OOG - Here is something sent to me by someone who wishes to remain annonymous. It's Commander Worphin...]

Originally posted by AslanC
    "Now at the end of the Jentros Corridor, that is a whole other story. It is said that there are dozens of new races that are just waiting to be made contact with, after a fashion. Perhaps that is one of the pleasures Captain Grimm will get after we stablize the Corridor, non?"
    "After over three years of war and nearly 22 months in spacedock, I think we're a little overdue for some good, old fashioned exploration," Matthew replies. "I don't think I can remember when I made my last first contact."

Stifling a sudden yawn, the captain leans back in his chair. "Well, folks. I have to be up early myself, and I'm sure you all have things you want to do before we arrive tomorrow," he says. "I will see you all in the morning."
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 05-27-2004 at 06:50 PM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Savanna raised up out of her chair as the Captain also stood up. "Good night, sir. Will we have another briefing tomorrow morning?"

After he responds, Savanna will take her leave and head for her quarters.
    "Sir, we're getting an increase in the ..."

[OOG With that, it can be assumed that everyone move son and we can now go to that later on the Obs deck moment ]

R'rssar takes her leave shortly after Cpt. Grimm and Lt. Fields have left.

She goes straight to her quarters, but only to change into her workout clothes (shorts and a tee-shirt), before she heads for the gym.

Unless someone runs into R'rssar on her way to or from the gym, or joins her there, you will next see her sometime in the morning.

Originally posted by Age of Toast
    Some time later, the doors part with the requisite sibiliant of the hydraulic. No other sound is heard, no footfalls, such that if Rostoff does not look to see who enters, he finds his Strategic Operations officer standing next to him with his own cup of coffee. Gazing out at the stars, he inquires,

"A fellow insomniac, sir?"
    Rostoff smiles. "Tonight I am. Funny... it's the first time I've actually felt nervous about a new assignment since graduating from the Academy. Offering his SOO a seat, he asks, "So what has you up at this time of night?"

Originally posted by Prompt Critical
    Savanna raised up out of her chair as the Captain also stood up. "Good night, sir. Will we have another briefing tomorrow morning?"

After he responds, Savanna will take her leave and head for her quarters.
    "I'm not sure if your commander will have anything for you all tomorrow morning," the captain replies. "That will be something you need to bring up with Commander Rostoff. Good night."

(OOC: Grimm will be seen entering Cargo Bay 2 about an hour after he leaves dinner. Anyone in the proximity of Cargo 2 may occasionally hear loud noises...and one or two curses...'til about 2300. Of course, the door is locked and opening it requires bypassing the CO's access codes. )
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

McKeown

"A fellow insomniac, sir?"
    Rostoff smiles. "Tonight I am. Funny... it's the first time I've actually felt nervous about a new assignment since graduating from the Academy. Offering his SOO a seat, he asks, "So what has you up at this time of night?"
    "An active mind, I suppose, sir," McKeown began, talking the offered seat, "too many variables.”

“I’m eager to get to the station so I can see the station securtity ops in person… get a feel for our neighbors… traffic… things you can’t get from a report.”

He toyed with his coffee mug, as he watched the light streak by the windows.

out-of-character:

I'm perfectly willing to let it rest at that. Don't let me stop the rest of you from posting.

~Toast