Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enterpriser Season ending

Angry Oh boy.....

Hrmm, Sam.....er Archer trapped in the past where only a hologram of a man from the future can talk to him...

Space Nazis....

And how is it that Enterprise was the *ONLY* ship of the entire human fleet orbiting earth. Not even a single freighter orbiting, no picket ship, orbital defense satellites ..... are we to believe that they all reached the earth of the past.... well no, as the station was there. But I find it beyond belief that Earth lacked even a single starship or weapon in orbit. Honestly, earth knew that the weapon was on it's way... that just made be very angry with the writers.

And the Aquatics brought the Enterprise to Earth, so is it the past or the present? and are we to believe that WWII is still ongoing 200 years on? argh....

And why do aliens in the past always have to have sided with the Nazis? and always the SS ? is there like a huge wardrobe of nazi ss uniforms somewhere on the Paramount lot?

Argh...

But the very idea that Scot Bakula would willingly reprise his Quantam Leap role, well the show really jumped the shark there ....

How to fix this mess? Bring in Gary Seven, make this entire timeline how the Dark Mirror Terran Empire was founded, anything that ties this rambling mess of a "metaplot" back into the continuity, or what's left of it. Or just hit the giant warp speed VCR switch and have Pam wake up and find Bobby in the shower ...

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Re: Oh boy.....

Originally posted by Atlirith
    Hrmm, Sam.....er Archer trapped in the past where only a hologram of a man from the future can talk to him...
    Was going to mention this in my other post but decided against it so I wouldn't be accused of being too negative.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

are we to believe that they all reached the earth of the past.... well no, as the station was there.
    Actually, I think that this is exactly what happened. As I recall, the station wasn't there, that was why Reed made mention that it had been blown up. (Of course there should have been a debris field still in evidence, but I was only paying half attention and maybe they did remark on the lack of one)
    And why do aliens in the past always have to have sided with the Nazis? and always the SS ? is there like a huge wardrobe of nazi ss uniforms somewhere on the Paramount lot?
    The simple answer to this is that no one likes Nazis. That way the Nazis can do all sorts of dastardly things and we cheer when the good guys vaporize them. They are the perfect villains. In many cases, we try to adapt Nazis symbollically for bad guys -- like Starwars Stormtroopers, Micronaut Dog Soldiers, TOS Klingons, TNG Romulans, the Lizard aliens in "V" (the name of the series itself heightens this), the list goes on and on.

Here, they are just going to the source material. Plus, which side do you think the Remans would be on exactly? I have thought that the shadowy figure backing the Suliban might have been the Federation of the future trying to right the timeline (such as by, screwing up first contact with the Klingons as was reported in TOS), but the Nazis are such an archetype for evil that it would have required a lot of dancing around to justify a Reman involvement with the Allies (which OTOH actually might have demonstrated some writing skill).

Off topic, One of the more interesting ways Nazis were symbollically linked to a science-fictional government was in Starship Troopers (the movie, not the novel, which is a whole separate issue). I'm not even sure it was deliberate; so much of the movie was a bastardization of the premises brought up in the book which took an entirely different course of thought. It might have been what the adaptors actually thought was being said there (gag). Of course In Starship Poopers (as one of my gaming buddies calls it) it was the 'good guys' that looked hauntingly like Nazis, something that sent a few movie critics into overload. I recall two critics on one of the morning talk shows that went so far as to sympathize with the bugs because of it; they seemed deeply disturbed.

While I didn't like what the movie did to the source material generally this (admittedly hamhanded) symbolic association was at least midly interesting because it brought up a lot of questions. When pushed to the wall, would we adopt that mentality? What kinds of trends today (the use of slick advertising and a focus of image over substance for instance) do we see that sends us in that direction? that kind of thing. The only other good thing about the movie was Clancy Brown as Zim.

Or just hit the giant warp speed VCR switch and have Pam wake up and find Bobby in the shower ...
    Ecch. I have loooong been dreading this one. I kind of think that this is the only way to restore continuity...
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

And how is it that Enterprise was the *ONLY* ship of the entire human fleet orbiting earth. Not even a single freighter orbiting, no picket ship, orbital defense satellites ..... are we to believe that they all reached the earth of the past.... well no, as the station was there. But I find it beyond belief that Earth lacked even a single starship or weapon in orbit. Honestly, earth knew that the weapon was on it's way... that just made be very angry with the writers.
    To be fair, having Enterprise (or the main characters ship) as the only vessel in orbit over what should be a very crowded sky is not exactly unusual... All the 1701's did it, as did the Defiant...

The few exceptions had been the Movies (Motion Picture and First Contact), and the last few seconds of Voyager...

So we should at least ease off on this one point alone?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Where does it say this guy was a Reman? I don't think he was. Maybe I just didn't see it properly.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Re: Re: Oh boy.....

Originally posted by Publius
    In many cases, we try to adapt Nazis symbollically for bad guys -- like Starwars Stormtroopers, Micronaut Dog Soldiers, TOS Klingons, TNG Romulans, the Lizard aliens in "V" (the name of the series itself heightens this), the list goes on and on.
    Actually, I believe most agree that the original Klingons were suppose to be Russian Comies and not Nazis and the Romulans were suppose to be Chinese. But other than this little nitpick I totally agree with what you said However there is some intersting stuff I came across years ago that said that Heinlien actually admired Juan Peron and if you look at the Argintine army in those years you would swear that it was the Wehmacht come alive again, as well as many uniforms of South American militaries so the "Teutonic" military style uniform is staying with us.
    Draftsmen in Training

As far as the alien at the end being a Reman, it may or may not be that particular race; there are a lot of similarities and a few differences (eyes, extra wrinkles in face etc.). I lifted the following image off of a Trek BBS somewhere where they are shedding blood over the issue...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dinked with that image a bit to help bring it out some more. The colors are no longer accurate, but you can make out more detail. This was just a few seconds work with Irfanview, so I'm sure some of you photoshop gurus can do much better.

Anyone have a pic of a Reman to make a comparison?
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Not the best Reman picture but notice the larger ears and the lack of solid red eyes comared to the alien on Enterprise.

Originally posted by Publius
    As far as the alien at the end being a Reman, it may or may not be that particular race; there are a lot of similarities and a few differences (eyes, extra wrinkles in face etc.)....
    True. But you also have to consider that Klingons since TMP has variations to their look as well. He maybe an elderly Reman hence the wrinkles plus other factors like evolution, like a 30th century variation.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

While that is possible, I would probably wager that it is an entirely different species. A species that we will discover more about next fall.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Thumbs down

It had to come, I just knew it….. I mean every Star Trek series which you can’t take all that serious has them...

TOS had them…
    TNG did not
    DS9 did not
    VOY had them..
    ENT of course had to have them…

Exclamation Incorrect.

I take TOS and Voyager quite seriously.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA

Re: Re: Oh boy.....

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    To be fair, having Enterprise (or the main characters ship) as the only vessel in orbit over what should be a very crowded sky is not exactly unusual... All the 1701's did it, as did the Defiant...

The few exceptions had been the Movies (Motion Picture and First Contact), and the last few seconds of Voyager...

So we should at least ease off on this one point alone?
    I'm afraid I tend to agree with At on the lone ship in the sky. I don't mind there being only one ship around when there's nothing important going on at the homestead, or when every other ship in the Fleet is scattered across the galaxy studying temporal and/or gaseous anomalies. But given the importance of this event, given the fact that Earth had already been caught blindsided once, it would have made some sense to park something more than a defenseless station in orbit. This is the mother world. The bad guys aren't there to knock out global communications or dump a flaming sack of dog poo on Starfleet's front porch. They're there to destroy the planet. Having no ships or defenses set up made it look like Earth was really concerned with other things.

I have a question about Daniels. Did he ever give a reason for not directly interfering, even though the Sphere Builders clearly did not operate under the same restriction? I admit, I have not seen every one of this season's episodes, so maybe I missed the explanation. it just seemed odd to me, since Archer is supposed to be so vital, and by extension, since saving Earth is also vital, that he wouldn't take some steps to at least counter the interference the Sphere Builders engaged in.

I had my problems with this episode...this surprised me since I have liked the previous few episodes immensely. I was expecting a clean sweep of cool, in other words. The Andorians were quite timely, and when I saw them show up, I was pleased. Was also pleased about the way Archer chose to take out the Reptilian commander. I'm not sure if I like T'Pol's increasing bouts with emotion, but I probably would have written her the same way. And it was good to see her finally trying to bond with the pooch.

As usual, I feel that Billingsley turned in the strongest performance. I recall hating the doc when I first watched the show, but now, he's easily become my favorite character.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."