Thread: LUG's books availability and Decipher

Question LUG's books availability and Decipher

Here in Brazil we have no other way to buy LUG's books than go to the online stores. (I'd say that it's easier to find a ferengi doing charity without any interest than locate a store selling RPG products, and not necessary a good one). But, for my sadness, Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble and some others are no longer selling the books. Well... my hope is Decipher.... When they publish their books I believe I'll have the chance to get all I need. Speaking in Decipher, does anybody have any hint if their system will be compatible with Icon? I have the TNG Core Game Book only, and I'd appreciate to find out that my book will be still useful...

I know they hired the guys from LUG, but that's not guaranted that they will keep the system or do something compatible with Icon in their future products. I've made a search on their web site, but I found nothing.

Sorry if my question was already answered.

Ronaldo Marques

Arrow

No hint at all. The only comfort we can get is the fact that the former LUG staff will take into consideration for the LUGTrek gamers.

Besides, it would be bad business for them as well as Decipher if had left us out of the equation, since you have an established customer base right here.

But for all intent and purpose, the Icon system is now the property of WotC. To market the system or put that system into a marketable product would require WotC's permission.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Lightbulb

The new game will be compatable with Icon in that there will be conversion information. So, it will take some work.

Think on lines similar to the WEG conversion information that appeared in the Star Wars d20 rulebook.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Smile

Thanks for the information guys!!! It looks like my book will be still useful, hehehe... Thanks!

Ronaldo Marques

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:
    The new game will be compatable with Icon in that there will be conversion information. So, it will take some work.

Think on lines similar to the WEG conversion information that appeared in the Star Wars d20 rulebook.
    </font>
    Hey!!! This is the first official confirmation that the new system will be really DIFFERENT, and not something like "Icon Version 2.0"

The conversion from WEG to d20 wasn't seamless by any means because the systems were dramatically different. Does that mean that we all should be expecting some radical changes to the rules structure?

And I guess your statement also officially carries with it the following two notions:
    a) Wizards did not sell the rights to Icon to Decipher.
    b) With that in mind, we can once and for all count on the fact that the original versions of the "Mirror, Mirror" and Klingon supplements will NEVER see the light of day.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that all the work that went into those two supplements -- not to mention the Bajoran supplement -- will somehow be carried over to the new Decipher system. By the Prophets, I'd hate to see all that creative effort go to waste!

------------------
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Eris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rana naz’g ol resu ji joreen."
    (It is the unknown that defines our existence)
    -- Bajoran proverb
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jabara Eris:
    Hey!!! This is the first official confirmation that the new system will be really DIFFERENT, and not something like "Icon Version 2.0"</font>
    Not really. I’ve been saying for months that the likelihood of the Icon System making an appearance was slim to none (with lots of emphasis on the “none” part).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The conversion from WEG to d20 wasn't seamless by any means because the systems were dramatically different. Does that mean that we all should be expecting some radical changes to the rules structure?</font>
    Um. Yea. That’s why I gave the WEG/d20 example.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And I guess your statement also officially carries with it the following two notions:
    a) Wizards did not sell the rights to Icon to Decipher.
    </font>
    Who said they (Wizards) were selling? Who said Decipher was interested in buying?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    b) With that in mind, we can once and for all count on the fact that the original versions of the "Mirror, Mirror" and Klingon supplements will NEVER see the light of day.
    </font>
    Don’t forget To Boldly Go, Voyager, The Cardassians, Merchants and Traders, the Dominion War, The Orion Pirates, Movie Sourcebook, The Security Handbook, et al., among others.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that all the work that went into those two supplements -- not to mention the Bajoran supplement -- will somehow be carried over to the new Decipher system. By the Prophets, I'd hate to see all that creative effort go to waste!</font>
    Not in their current state without considerable rewrites to reflect the new system. Plus the writing pool has changed, meaning most of the books will be rewritten anyway.

We’re talking way down the line here – need to get the new system out first.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Smile

No matter what system is used and if it is easily compatable,we can always do what we have been:
    come here with our questions....

Smile

May I make a suggestion to you guys developing the new Star Trek RPG for Decipher?

No matter how this new system will work, I'd love if it still use six sided dice. They're very easily founded everywhere on this planet, what I cannot say about ten sided dice or other existing variation.

This may sound silly to you, but as I said in the beginning of this topic, I live in Brazil, and such materials (ten sided dice and stuff like that), so closely related to RPGs, are very hard to find. But six sided dice is very easy to get (even here, hehehehehe...).

Ronaldo Marques

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dhorkan:
    May I make a suggestion to you guys developing the new Star Trek RPG for Decipher?

No matter how this new system will work, I'd love if it still use six sided dice.
    </font>
    The new system (currently) uses six-sided dice.

Expect lots of information in the upcoming week or so regarding the new system/RPG by Decipher.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Talking

Great!!! Thanks again, Don. You just made a big RPG fan happy now. Thanks a lot! Oh, BTW, congratulations for your little girl. May God be with her and guide her steps through her life.

Ronaldo Marques