Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is this game going?

Matt,
    I find your comments inappropriate. This is a board devoted to supporting both ICON and CODA versions of star trek, and all you seem to be doing is putting down the system and saying there isn't much fan support. Please if there is some other system you prefer,promote it to your hearts content, but kindly don't come here and make negative comments about a system we like and want to support.

Originally posted by mattcolville
    The existence of ANY fan support is not the same as "lots." As a rule, there is fan support for every RPG ever made. And CODA has support in far less proportion than the number of books sold or properties it was used with. Compare it with Eden's Unisystem, also not hugely popular, not as many books sold, way, way more fan stuff for it.
    With all due respect, there is support, but not in the form of copious amounts of webpages. It so happens everything is on this message board.. see this thread for venaca's response

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?threadid=10558
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Arrow

Originally posted by Tobian

Yes I can see Harry potter working quite nicelly with this system, because D&D magic would NOT work!
    With all due respect ( ), any d20 gamers with common sense know that the D&D magic system would NOT be appropriate for a Harry Potter setting. Even I would be skeptical if someone use that mechanics.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Question

Originally posted by mattcolville

The existence of ANY fan support is not the same as "lots." As a rule, there is fan support for every RPG ever made. And CODA has support in far less proportion than the number of books sold or properties it was used with. Compare it with Eden's Unisystem, also not hugely popular, not as many books sold, way, way more fan stuff for it.
    Define "lots." How many fans with $$$ does a publishing company needs in order to support a product line?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    With all due respect ( ), ...
    Wasn't aware of that thread.. but i did mean it in a good way. Matt still rocks for his work on Coda Star Trek.

Well to be fair there is actually a good deal of material that was produced for ICON, and there actually still is ! Since allot of people haven't changed yet and allot didn't see the need for a reprint wih the new rules, there is a deceprivelly much larger ammount of Decipher content out there. Allot of the stuff dotting round here is system neutral too. A strong idea and a couple of quick rules from your head are a far more potent tool than a complex printed source book. Part of the problem with Trek is ... everyone's seen all the epsiodes... so you can't just repeat them, but a new twist on an old story is always nice!
    Ta Muchly

And Space Cadet races back into the lead for being my personal hero

On a side note, while I really, really like the CODA system, I still want a d20 Trek (you may begin throwing pieces of fruit at me now) as I think the system would work (modified ala Babylon 5 or Mutants & Masterminds).

YMMV

*takes out the tennis ball launcher and loads it with rotten apples.. and sets it to full pelt mode*

Run Alsan Run !

Honestly I'm not trying to corner you at the stone tablet
    Ta Muchly

*Acts as Tobian's ammo loader* Get'em!!

But thought Coda was d20 lite

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Tobian
    *takes out the tennis ball launcher and loads it with rotten apples.. and sets it to full pelt mode*
    You know, you're gonna incur some serious autofire penalties with that thing...and *tsk* *tsk* your range increment is quite small (since you're using rotten apples) and Newcastle to Vancouver isn't a short distance, I'm afraid...looks like your net attack bonus is -234/-239/-244.

Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Bah, I'm slipping DPU slogs into the apple before Tobian fires the apples. Should be a little better!

I like those odds ! I'll just use my fixed D6's besides, it's my game, I am GM.. it happens... A Wizard did it

Hmm on second thought I'll get out my Miltineutronic Apple mine, borrowed from Seven of nine, Ok I'll probably destroy all life in a 13 lightyear radius... But I think I'll hit Vancouver

Actually scratch that.. Ottowa is allot closer, IceGiant is batting for me

<rant>

I see all of the things that they brought in from D20 in Coda, but it really just simplifies the whole thing and I much prefer it. Don't get me wrong.. I do like D20, I enjoy playing D&D and I am a big fan of the Stargate system, but I just can't see how you can separate Rank from Level... As in How could you possibly have a 1st level captain or justify a 7th level ensign.. 'Level' is just all wrong for Startrek. A Level 1 character (how all d20 games start except super hero mutants and masterminds etc) is just not going to cut it as an 'ensign' because these guys are hyper skilled and tallented as portrayed in the show. If one of my players is supposed to be the captain, how can you possibly have it with first level or consequently allow a 10th level character play amongst newbie 1st level characters - if I played in such a game I would.. leave!

Sure if you stripped out the whole level based system and with that therefore getting an entirell skill based system - no wait what's that I hear you say - you mean JUST LIKE CODA ? Wow all we need do is swap out a D20 for 2 d6 - happy days !

I will stand corrected when someone can show me a way to do it, but I stand by the belief that not everything can be squeezed in to the D20 concept.

</rant>
    Ta Muchly

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    But thought Coda was d20 lite
    \

Nah, CODA is more D20 like as opposed to lite.

In my experience, there's a difference between d20's levels and CODA's levels. In d20 (OGL or D&D) your advancement in experience is governed by what monsters you kill, what traps you disarm, etc. To attain each new level, you must earn 1000 experience on top of what you had to earn for the previous level. Also, your class abilities are more or less defined by your skill level, and you earn a fixed amount of skill points based on what class you level up in.

In CODA, no matter how experienced the character is, it costs 1000 experience to "level" - and I put that in quotes mostly because it only indicates when you "get better." You may trade in 1000 experience to get five Advancement picks, which can be traded in to increase nearly anything about your character. The great thing about this system is that you get to choose what you improve. You could solely improve your skillset if you wanted, or you could increase an attribute. You could get a new professional ability and some skills, or you could get a new Edge or two. It's much more flexible than the d20 system.

Then there's the matter of 2d6 versus d20. The bell curve of two dice being rolled produces a mathematical average of 7, whereas you have equal chances of rolling any number on a d20. This gives you much more control over your character's success and failure at any given task.

I don't think this game would be the same if it followed d20 rules.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com