Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is this game going?

Arrow

You don't need to get defensive. You're obsessed with CODA. I'm obsessed with d20. You believe it won't work in d20. I believe it can.

As for Mutants & Masterminds, while many dubbed it as a 2nd-gen d20 ruleset, the game product -- designed by Steve Kenson -- does not contain that little square "d20 System" logo. Nor does it claim compatibility nor co-adaptability with known standard d20 games like D&D.

Simply put, someone just took the System Reference Document and create a whole different ruleset, all legal under the Open Gaming License.

No, it's not cross-compatible with d20-labeled products, but in the coming months we'll see "M&M Superlink" products that takes advantage of this ruleset.

And while you say it's okay for that genre, I think it can do more. After all, the HERO System is spawned off from Champion and -- thanks to Steve Long -- they're reviving a lot of genre books from fantasy to science fiction and in-between.

So, let's agree to disagree, Tobian.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I'd be okay playing Star Trek AT ALL, regardless of the system. I don't hugely dog d20 (heck, I did SWRPG conversions for all the ships a while back), but I tend to steer clear of d20 (short of Babylon 5), simply because of the oversaturation and the obsession many of my RPG buddies have with it.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Arrow

You didn't see Stargate SG-1 RPG? It has Don Mappin's thumbprint on it.

Oh, yeah, it uses the d20/Spycraft rule engine.

OBTW, I stumbled upon an interesting interview on Mike Mearl conducted by Kenneth Hite in his "Out of the Box" web column.

http://www.gamingreport.com/modules....icle&artid=104

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Well REG, I read the article and I still don't think D20 or DnD is the best thing since sliced bread. But I will leavie it at that.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by IceGiant
    Well REG, I read the article and I still don't think D20 or DnD is the best thing since sliced bread.
    But, then, neither is Coda or Unisystem or whatever. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. They're all good systems, each with the flexibility to work for a number of genres.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I simply don't agree that D20 fits well in other genres. I prefer to play the system that goes with a genres. CODA for ST, D6 for SW, BRPS for Cthulhu, etc.
    I just didn't appreciate Matt's comments about the small support for CODA. Others got into the whole D20 debate.
    I just get tired of almost EVERY new rpg using the D20 mechanic. I'm old school gamer when companies used different systems for each GAME in their line-up. Well his wasn't supposed to be me getting into the D20 debate .

Arrow

I simply don't agree that D20 fits well in other genres. I prefer to play the system that goes with a genres. CODA for ST, D6 for SW, BRPS for Cthulhu, etc.
    Well, with the exception of CoC which is being owned by Chaosium (the game itself, not the Lovecraft works which is Public Domain), the rest are licensed products, and can only exist as long as that company exist and continues to maintain revenue for the IP owners to get their share of the profit and maintain a cordial relationship outlined in the agreement. Who knows? Decipher may relinquish the Star Trek license and some other company will pick it up and publish such RPG under a whole different ruleset. It could be d20.

I just didn't appreciate Matt's comments about the small support for CODA. Others got into the whole D20 debate.
    I just get tired of almost EVERY new rpg using the D20 mechanic. I'm old school gamer when companies used different systems for each GAME in their line-up. Well his wasn't supposed to be me getting into the D20 debate .
    Blame it on on Steve Jackson, Kevin Sembieda, and the folk at White Wolf.

They're the ones who use the most successful business formula in the RPG market since the 1980's: One rules system for all their products.

I'm sorry you don't like what Matt has to say. But there is a grain of truth to his statement. Right now, we're at a standstill, because simply we want to know what Decipher is going to do next with their RPG business. Maybe we shouldn't be at a standstill. Maybe we should get off our six and start churning ideas and adventures and post them up for every to share.

Who cares what other people think of fan-made material? We've got some good ideas churning out during our LUGTrek days, I'm sure we can do the same for CODA.

Prove to us, fans of CODA, what you can do for the rules system.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Speaking of CODA, is there a... CODA-Core SRD someplace? That would go a long way to establishing it for fans to use, particularly when wanting to spread out the genres it tackles a little bit.

Originally posted by TFVanguard
    Speaking of CODA, is there a... CODA-Core SRD someplace? That would go a long way to establishing it for fans to use, particularly when wanting to spread out the genres it tackles a little bit.
    Sure, there is, two in fact. One is for science fiction games and can be found in the Star Trek Player's Guide and Narrator's Guide; the other is for fantasy games and can be found in the LOTR RPG core rulebook.

The two rule sets are virtually identical, with minor tweaks to make each one setting-specific. It should be a simple matter to take the two versions and create a game to fit just about anything you'd want to play.

Hey, I know I said 'SRD' in there somewhere :P

I just wanted to look over the core mechanics involved without all the setting material, or magic system, involved. The CODA games that have been out are fading from shelves around here, and I really can't justify buying the books anyway. :S

Decipher may relinquish the Star Trek license and some other company will pick it up and publish such RPG under a whole different ruleset. It could be d20.
    For all we know, it may not be picked up. Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe Star Trek has more variations than any other RPG. Can a different system make it "better"? Don't know but i do know Coda is the most suitable and streamlined system for it, IMO. Not only that, the current line is "complete" and sufficent for Trek-rpging in any part of the Trek universe, except maybe in the Enterprise-era.

Prove to us, fans of CODA, what you can do for the rules system.
    see venaca's response

The only problem is all the stuff is scattered on this messageboard and I know that noobs are not keen on the search engine. It would be appropriate for a centralized area. For the last week, I've been working on website to help out in that. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Originally posted by TFVanguard
    Hey, I know I said 'SRD' in there somewhere :P

I just wanted to look over the core mechanics involved without all the setting material, or magic system, involved. The CODA games that have been out are fading from shelves around here, and I really can't justify buying the books anyway. :S
    Well in that case,

*Moderated Picture, and inserted quite obvious voice over.
    "It doesn't matter."

There, now you can say you have been dubbed.

NOTE: For reference when posting Pitures, or for general Offensive Language use. This is an open forum based on a youth orientated hobby over a TV show. Please remember that there will occasionally be minors present and try to control your language accordingly. I'd rather such self-control came from you guys than be imposed...
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 06-20-2004 at 11:07 AM.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    Well in that case,
    That was so incredibly, absolutely, unneccesary...

I have a bunch of Trek material already, quite a bit of Icon from clearance sales of late. Nevermind other references... just really hard for me to spend the money on a group of new books just to get a handle on another system.

Exclamation

Originally posted by Space_Cadet

Well in that case,

* snipped image *
    Be careful, Space_Cadet. Up until now, your image-posting have been clean and well within this messageboards' CoC. Don't cross the line with the moderators.

Also, up until now, the argument in this thread have been civil, and I daresay, intelligent. Disagreeing with each other is fine.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I just didn't appreciate Matt's comments about the small support for CODA.
    I didn't mean to be offensive, I'm simply exercising my judgement as a professional who's seen, worked on, and been a part of many RPGs INCLUDING THIS ONE, their development and their communities. CODAs is extremely small. It may be full of morally upstanding, creative, sexually potent supermen, but it's small. Especially when compared to other games that sold as well.
    Game On!