Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don’t mean to be rude but…..

Re: I don’t mean to be rude but…..

Originally posted by Kaiddin
    How many of you are tired of the pithy little remarks that some people use to excuse themselves?
    This only says that some people make these remarks to excuse themselves, but what about the other people? You never said that "all people" do it to excuse themselves.
    I take this as meaning that from where you stand some people don't use it as an excuse. How do you tell them apart? How do you feel about those who don't use it as an excuse?

No offence but...
    ...To me, each of these cliched pre-ambles basically say I’m going to be rude but now you can’t complain.
    Now this is a good one. How about reading this as "I know you will be offended by my opinion, you being the opinionated dork you are, but it isn't meant to offend you, as it is only my personal opinion, while you can't even look beyond your own narrow mindset"?
    What's so darn wrong with that? It could be just a way someone recognizes that you will be offended by whatever he/she says and taking the wind out off your sails before you blow a fuse. If that is so it is indeed a hollow phrase, as you will never allow another opinion to stand besides your own.

What other ones are you tired of?
    Oh, so we are as tired of those remarks as you are? How very perceptive of you!
    Yes, indeed, we are all as tired as you are of the phrases you quoted. Glad you pointed that out to me, as I may not have recognized that without your generous help.

Nota bene:
    The above is not meant to be taken completely serious, but any way I can think of to express that would have used one or more of the phrases that apparently piss of someone.

Instead of IMHO, I use IMNAAHO.

In My Not-At-All Humble Opinion.

Because I am, of course, always right.

"To be honest" usually seems to me to mean "I'm about to draw a conclusion which you will probably find offensive, but which I nevertheless believe to be true. Please don't hit me."

"With all due respect" means "I'm about to tell you you're a frickin' moron, but I don't want you to fire/hit me."

The Zaldans would be appalled.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    "With all due respect" means "I'm about to tell you you're a frickin' moron, but I don't want you to fire/hit me."
    No, it doesn't. If you think the "due respect" for you someone mentions is no respect at all, that's your problem, not theirs.

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    This only says that some people make these remarks to excuse themselves, but what about the other people?
    How about, they don't use that phrase.

How about reading this as "I know you will be offended by my opinion, you being the opinionated dork you are, but it isn't meant to offend you, as it is only my personal opinion, while you can't even look beyond your own narrow mindset"?
    Well this certainly proves my case for me. Omniscience and arrogance.

Oh, so we are as tired of those remarks as you are? How very perceptive of you!
    Bit of a stretch there. What other ones are you tired of? If it will make you feel better replace other ones with remarks . Wouldn't want you to read something negative there.

The above is not meant to be taken completely serious, but any way I can think of to express that would have used one or more of the phrases that apparently piss of someone.
    But isn't it better to be pissed off than pissed on?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

That reminds me of one of the things we discussed in one course about terms and phrases that no longer have meaning but are still used.

For example the phrase "How are you?" no longer has any meaning. Most people that still use this as a greeting, really have no desire for you to answer this with something other than "I'm well" or "I'm Fine" . Anything other than these two responses will get you the moment of confused silence.
    Oooh yeah, that rings a big bell. At some time in my student life, I used to answer to "how are you" by "good... I guess" or "Whatever" or "Trying"... and got indeed very strange looks and questions. After a while, I avoided this by agressively asking "How are you" first, so people did not care about my answer anymore.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by Lancer
    No, it doesn't. If you think the "due respect" for you someone mentions is no respect at all, that's your problem, not theirs.
    With all due respect... BLEAH!!!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

How about, they don't use that phrase.
    Geez, sorry for mistaking your intentions. I thought you were all in favor of spelling out what you meant instead of being ambiguous.

Bit of a stretch there. What other ones are you tired of? If it will make you feel better replace other ones with remarks . Wouldn't want you to read something negative there.
    See above. If you are opposed to others not meaning what they say, than why shouldn't I take what you say literally? I.e. this thread is not about what makes me feel beter, but about what makes you feel bad, or I did I get something wrong here?
    And hey, if you don't want me to read something into what you say (besides what you actually intend to say) than why not spell it out clearly in the first place.

But isn't it better to be pissed off than pissed on?
    You make it sound like those are the only choices. Me, I like nothing better than watching other people pee themselves, without me getting in their way.

I realize my last few posts may be seen as a blatent attempt at trolling, but I am only trying to get three points across:
    (1) Some people may actually mean what they say, however ambiguous their wording may sound to the person they are talking to, as truth is always in the ear of the listener.
    (2) People sometimes express themselves in the way they have been "trained" to express themselves. Perhaps there is no deeper meaning behind it than what amounts to a mere "social convention" for most persons. Me, I wouldn't want to blame someone for just being the product of the society that raised him/her.
    (3) Put your money where your keyboard is. If you critize people for expressing themselves in ambiguous terms do so in unambiguous ways. Unless you can think of a way to do so that is absolutely crystal clear, don't be surprised if what you say is challenged in much the same way you challenge what others say, i.e. no one is perfect. not even me (which may be hard to believe, but is still true).

Originally posted by C5
    Oooh yeah, that rings a big bell. At some time in my student life, I used to answer to "how are you" by "good... I guess" or "Whatever" or "Trying"... and got indeed very strange looks and questions. After a while, I avoided this by agressively asking "How are you" first, so people did not care about my answer anymore.
    Another one:
    "Have a nice day!"
    What only a nice one? What if I wanted a great one? Maybe I'm in a bad mood and don't want a nice day?

For the PCs:
    Have (or not, whatever your choice) a good (or multiple, bad, great, nice or whatever your choice) day (or time period of your choice). (please do not feel constrained in any manner.)
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Lancer: "no one is perfect. not even me (which may be hard to believe, but is still true)."

Nope, perfectly easy to believe.....

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Originally posted by C5
    Me, I make it a point to answer that question as completely and truthfully as I can, without distracting from the topic at hand too much. (Because there may be topics I would really like to talk about more than how I am.)

An explanation may be in order here:
    Working as an adminsitrative assistant I get asked the "how are you" question a lot on the phone. With some people I just know it's not such a good idea to tell them how I truly feel (I /do/ want to keep my job ye know ), but whenever I can I answer the question as much as time allows.
    Depending on my mood and the person I am talkin to that may amount to anything from "it's too hot for comfort" to "I had a really bad week because of xxx".
    I find it amazing how often this will entice people to tell me about how /they/ feel, at least concerning the topic I mentioned myself.

I realize my last few posts may be seen as a blatant attempt at trolling,
    Since I am not speaking for anyone other than myself, I assumed that is what you were doing. Thank you for clearing up any ambiguity.

1) Some people may actually mean what they say, however ambiguous their wording may sound to the person they are talking to, as truth is always in the ear of the listener.
    Some people? I've heard that before. I have noticed that some people will purposely miscontrue a statement to fit their spin.

2) People sometimes express themselves in the way they have been "trained" to express themselves.
    And?

Hey Don! These smilie things don't seem to be working!

3) Put your money where your keyboard is.
    And be the only one?

Disclaimer: None of the previous posts where intended to be taken seriously. Thankfully, some here realized that and maybe even gave a nod to the grain of truth I was pointing out. If it hit too close to home for someone, that wasn't my intention.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

My preferred responses to "How Are You?"

"...not dead."

"...good with mayo."

"...incredible, she said."

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    that wasn't my intention.
    That's another one!!!

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."