Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don’t mean to be rude but…..

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

I don’t mean to be rude but…..

How many of you are tired of the pithy little remarks that some people use to excuse themselves?

You know, like:
    I don’t mean to be rude but…..(Simon Cowell of American Idol ilk used this as the title of his book.)
    Don’t take this the wrong way….
    No offence but….

To me, each of these cliched pre-ambles basically say I’m going to be rude but now you can’t complain. There is only one way for you to take this. I know it, you know it but maybe they won’t know it. However now I look politically correct and if you take offense, you are at fault.

I find these to be just slightly less offensive than the classic "It isn’t personal. Its just business.". Every time I hear this one I want to say "How nice for you that you don’t take it personal. If you were a better person, maybe you would!"

What other ones are you tired of?
    Or should we only ridicule those that offer FREE GIFTS ?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Free toy inside! Welcome to the way to tear someone down the politically correct way.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Hey, this reminds me having heard that Terry Pratchett hates the acronym IMHO, which, according to him, means "That what I mean, and I challenge anyone to say anything against it" (that's not the exact quote).

However this is not the one I'm personnally the most miffed about. Some I have seen :
    "In all honesty/To be brutally honest..."
    "To be blunt..."

Well that's the way to speak the Internet way now, it seems.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5

"In all honesty/To be brutally honest..."
    "To be blunt..."
    Hey, at least I warned you with those first four words in the beginning of my first sentence. You don't have to read further.

"You can't handle the truth!"
    "Fact is evident. Truth is relevant."
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    So often, in the discourse of ideas and opinions that message boards are filled with, the tone becomes hopelessly adversarial. Even otherwise polite people suddenly become rabid and defensive in this faceless forum. Egos and tempers flare where they never would if discussions were face to face. Often, even just disagreeing with someone sets off a fiery exchange of barbs and cheap shots.

Nature of the beast, I suppose.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Originally posted by C5
    "In all honesty
    I had someone use this on me not too long ago. I interrupted and asked him if everything else he had said was a lie. It just struck me as extremely odd to have to preface an idea with In all honesty . However, I only received an odd look and a statement that may or may not be true.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Originally posted by REG
    You don't have to read further.
    That reminds me of one of the things we discussed in one course about terms and phrases that no longer have meaning but are still used.

For example the phrase "How are you?" no longer has any meaning. Most people that still use this as a greeting, really have no desire for you to answer this with something other than "I'm well" or "I'm Fine" . Anything other than these two responses will get you the moment of confused silence.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

"With all due respect" has to be on this list. I guess it's supposed to me "I respect you but hold a different view", but I always think it means "You're an idiot unworthy of respect". After all, "With all due respect" could be zero respect, if that's what you think they're "due"...

It's not for me to say, but. . .

Worked with a guy for six years that used that one.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Originally posted by Kaiddin
    That reminds me of one of the things we discussed in one course about terms and phrases that no longer have meaning but are still used.

For example the phrase "How are you?" no longer has any meaning. Most people that still use this as a greeting, really have no desire for you to answer this with something other than "I'm well" or "I'm Fine" . Anything other than these two responses will get you the moment of confused silence.
    Actually not as much confused silence if you respond with, "I'm doing fine now that the itching has stopped and the rash disappeared..."

How about "If you don't mind me saying...?"

Strictly Speaking

"And if I do, the what?"

"It's not for me to say, but..."
    "You are going to anyway!"

"Would you mind passing the salt?"
    "Well, yes actually. Get in yourself!"

"I can honestly say that...."
    "You mean you lie about other stuff you tell me? Gee, thanks!"

"Wow! Did you see that?"
    "No, I'm sorry, I was looking totally the other way, and was not watching (The road/ The film/ That spectacular meteorite impact)!!!"

"Could you tell me the time?"
    "Well, yes.....I could. Do you want me to?"

Any statement of the bloody obvious:
    EG: "It's hot, isn't it?"
    "Well, actually, I was thinking of putting on a coat, I seem to be shivering is this paltry 100F!"

Just a few of my least favourite phrases and the kinds of responses I am tempted to make....

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

"Mind if I smoke?"

"I don't care if you burst into flames..."

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Originally posted by Aldaron
    "Mind if I smoke?"
    "don't mind if I do."

What does that mean?

Also, "I could care less..." Shouldn't this be "I couldn't care less..." given the context in which it's usually used?

Strictly Speaking

Originally posted by Tas II
    "And if I do, the what?"

"It's not for me to say, but..."
    "You are going to anyway!"

"Would you mind passing the salt?"
    "Well, yes actually. Get in yourself!"

"I can honestly say that...."
    "You mean you lie about other stuff you tell me? Gee, thanks!"

"Wow! Did you see that?"
    "No, I'm sorry, I was looking totally the other way, and was not watching (The road/ The film/ That spectacular meteorite impact)!!!"

"Could you tell me the time?"
    "Well, yes.....I could. Do you want me to?"

Any statement of the bloody obvious:
    EG: "It's hot, isn't it?"
    "Well, actually, I was thinking of putting on a coat, I seem to be shivering is this paltry 100F!"

Just a few of my least favourite phrases and the kinds of responses I am tempted to make....

Cheers

Tas
    "Do you mind" is definately funny. I responded to one person "Actually, I have no opinion." Which, of course led to "Could you pass the salt?" Looking at my nephew, sitting beside the guy, I said "Probably." My nephew turned to the guy and said "May I have the salt, please?" That is when the light bulb went on.

Also, "I could care less..." Shouldn't this be "I couldn't care less..." given the context in which it's usually used?
    Well, maybe the person is just leaving a bit of room at the bottom. Just in case.

Another one that drives me up the wall is "Whatever!" . I don't care what tone is used, this is just dismissive. Basically saying you are not worth the effort.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

Just thought of another one.
    "To make a long story short...."
    I always want to say "Too late!"
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra