Thread: blade shattering spell

blade shattering spell

Salutation to all !
    I was wondering... Without taking in account the counterspell ability , Does the bladshattering spell affect only normal weapons ? And what about heroic items , mastercraft and enchanted weapons ? Or do they get a kind of resistance ...if so how do you determine the TN ? How do you resolve this conflictial situation ?

Thanks

LeLoupArdent

I've been asked this a few times and usuall yanswer the same way every time. It's really up to Narrator's discretion. If a heroic/magical blade was renowned for its unbreakable nature (like Durendal from the Song of Roland), then the Narrator may rule it will not be affected by Blade Shattering (perhaps a permanent counterspelling effect?).
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Salutation to all !
    I thank you , Doug for awnsering so diligently....

But I was kind of hoping for a more precise awnser though involving game mecanics ...

Thanks

LeLoupArdent

This has come upon several times in my games. There are three different scenarios:

1) The Bladeshatter effect is much more powerful than the blade -- instant break.

2) The original crafter of the blade is/ was much more powerful than the caster of Bladeshatter -- no effect.

3) Gray zones. Have the caster roll Bearing against some TN based upon the ancestry of the blade, the might of it's maker, etc. Much like a counterspell test. That's the option I use most against enchanted blades.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>