Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [i]Relic[/i] Update

[i]Relic[/i] Update

Well, I've finally stuck some of the materials for my old Star Trek: Challenger campaign up on the web. The material has been ported over to ICON. Much of this material was converted back when I was offering my gaming group a choice between reviving their old ship and exploring the Dyson Sphere in my Star Trek: Relic campaign.

Included is a whole raft of characters originally generated using the FASA rules and a set of rank equivalent tables between the Federation, Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians and Bajorans. The Romulan ranks are based on the LUG Way of D'Era for officers and FASA for enlisted personnel, with Centurions being more closely related to the way the Romans used them than either game. The Cardassian ranks are taken from the Cardassian Netbook. Klingon ranks are the same as on my Star Trek: nomghar campaign page, based on Marc Okrand's The Klingon Dictionary. Bajoran ranks are loosely based on modern Western military ranks, consistent with those seen on DS9.

A full and exhaustive treatment of Starfleet Intelligence Section 31 is given.

Click on the Star Trek: Universe link below to check it out.

I've said it before, but I think that this is an excellent site. I have always liked your ship designs and the base layouts are great.

The Maquis writeup from your Challenger section is also very well done. In my own campaigns I have taken a slightly different route, with former Starfleet officers given the opportunity during the war to rejoin Starfleet because of the heavy casualties (and for the experience they had fighting with the Cardassians). Following the War, some of these officers (who demonstrated valor or otherwise distinguished themselves) were brought back into Starfleet; the others given favorable (as opposed to honorable) discharges and all Federation charges against them were dropped. This way some of my players could have been Maquis at some point during their past (usually with heavy-duty minuses for their trouble). Your route, having a Maquis political "front group" and a continued Maquis raider presence, is a good way to go for creating possible NPC opponents however. The next time I GM Trek I might combine the two approaches.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Ah? Lt. Juran and CPO Wesson. Most interesting take.

Other then that, WOW.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Juran and Wesson are the results of in-play events... Let's just say that sometimes the game goes in odd directions.

"The Maquis writeup from your Challenger section is also very well done. In my own campaigns I have taken a slightly different route, with former Starfleet officers given the opportunity during the war to rejoin Starfleet because of the heavy casualties (and for the experience they had fighting with the Cardassians). Following the War, some of these officers (who demonstrated valor or otherwise distinguished themselves) were brought back into Starfleet; the others given favorable (as opposed to honorable) discharges and all Federation charges against them were dropped. This way some of my players could have been Maquis at some point during their past (usually with heavy-duty minuses for their trouble). Your route, having a Maquis political "front group" and a continued Maquis raider presence, is a good way to go for creating possible NPC opponents however. The next time I GM Trek I might combine the two approaches."

Well, the Maquis lobby isn't really a "front group" for anyone - it has no connection to the renegade Maquis. Rather, they're a politicallobby group seking war reparations and representing the settlers on planets within the DMZ.

As indicated in my writeup, many surviving Maquis did indeed take advantage of a federation amnesty and rejoin Starfleet during the war.

The renegade Maquis are mostly those dregs of society who gravitate to such causes and cross the line into piracy and terrorism, but some of them are simply people who feel they've burned their bridges and can't ever go back to the Federation; and are intent on carving out a place on the frontier.

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Lieutenant Commander N'rrmal!!!!

Is there also a Garfield and an Odie? If so, Garfield must be an admiral.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Owen, I was looking at your rank comparison chart and I would like to ask a couple of questions

1) Why not use "Sub Admiral" for the Romulans? It would continue the established pattern from the lower ranks.

2) The Cardassian Rank "Legate" not italicized, I'm guessing because the Cardassian Netbook indicates the title is not military in origin?
    Phoenix...

but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

There's something inelegant about "Sub Admiral" - I just find it awkward... I'm open to suggestions. I leaned towards simply using Commodore and dropping it a notch.

Legate is not italicised because it's a Latin-derived English translation, not an actual Cardie word.

Smile

If you use the ranks for flag officers from Way of D'Era, then you would have 3 distinct ranks notebly Fleet Admiral, Sector Admiral and Wing Admiral. Perhaps also the fictional rank of just Admiral as an extra rank. Just a thougt on my part.
    Keep up the good work. I really like your sites for information. I am now running a campaign for the first time and I very often use your traits & skills list. Thanks for that.

Well, due to a bit of insomnia the past couple of nights, I dug out the old Ju'Day Class deckplans I started a couple of years ago and finished them up. They're available in both Maquis and civilian versions:

Ju'Day Class Maquis Raider: http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...ju'day.htm
    Ju'Day Class Light Freighter: http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...u'dayf.htm

I've also updated the stats for the Maquis version - the ones I posted the other day were an old version...

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    There's something inelegant about "Sub Admiral" - I just find it awkward... I'm open to suggestions. I leaned towards simply using Commodore and dropping it a notch.
    In the Diane Carey novel Final Frontier, there is a Romulan Field Primus who has command of a six-ship squadron which contains some commanders and sub-commanders. While I read that book I recorded the rank to use in an RPG session. It seems to equate to a commodore. However, I just dropped the Field and only used the Primus. Just a suggestion, but it does sound Roman anyway.

Well, due to a bit of insomnia the past couple of nights, I dug out the old Ju'Day Class deckplans I started a couple of years ago and finished them up. They're available in both Maquis and civilian versions:

Ju'Day Class Maquis Raider: http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...ju'day.htm
    Ju'Day Class Light Freighter: http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...u'dayf.htm

I've also updated the stats for the Maquis version - the ones I posted the other day were an old version...
    As protrayed in ST: 2 TWK

OWEN!!!

Nice deckplans...I hate compeating with your work...
    Phoenix...

"Nice deckplans...I hate compeating with your work..."

Thanks for the kind words, Phoenix... I like your stuff, too. Don't look it as competing - the more the merrier!

Now that I'm back into it (time permitting) my next projects are a Firefly Class (yeah, non-Trek, but fun) and a TMS-era uprated FASA Loknar, which I started a year ago for Ice Giant.

Very cool, a nice clean design
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

TMS-era uprated FASA Loknar, which I started a year ago for Ice Giant.
    WOOT!!!