Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JMS Doing Trek?

JMS Doing Trek?

Saw this on Cinescape's site...

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...5&obj_id=41863

Edited for a bad URL
    Last edited by Mac417; 06-20-2004 at 09:48 AM.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

I believe you wanted to insert this link:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...5&obj_id=41863

That link showed me something about Angel star Daivd Boreanas, but nothing on Trek or JMS

EDIT: thanks Ergi

Potentially fabulous news... let's hope the Powers That Be over at Paramount show a bit of sense and take them up on their premise.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Fresh blood would be nice. Coto is doing an excellent job.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I agree. A fresh creative team would be good for Star Trek.

Zabel: Dark Skies was terrible.

JMS: Just because JMS is involved doesn't necessarily mean it will be good or that JMS is the right guy for the job. I wouldn't want to see the Babylon Trek.

Still, JMS is quite capable of writing good stories within the framework of someone else's universe. His Spider-Man comics are proof.

"The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

I do agree that it should be the right creative team, not just having Trek newbs on the payroll for the sake of having them.

Remember, Nemesis was written and directed by guys who'd never done Trek before.
    chris "mac" mccarver

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Mac417
    I do agree that it should be the right creative team, not just having Trek newbs on the payroll for the sake of having them.

Remember, Nemesis was written and directed by guys who'd never done Trek before.
    That's no excuse. Brent Spiner helped write Nemesis.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

"For everything there is a first time, Lieutenant." I saw maybe three or four Babylon 5 episodes during its run - something I should probably be a little ashamed of, as I understand Harlan Ellison was intimately involved with that series during the latter years (am I correct on this, that he actually did the voice of the base's computer?) - but I know that it is highly regarded by a wide body of science fiction fans. Harve Bennett had virtually no experience with Trek when he was hired on to clean up the "classical mess" that had been left over from TMP, but he did his homework and the outcome was WoK.

As a brief aside to another thread on this forum, I'd rather see JMS have a kick at the can than the tired, creatively bankrupt team who are currently wringing the last few drops out of the washcloth before throwing in the towel (there; managed to keep from mixing my metaphors ).

Arrow

Hah. I find this funny and ironic.

I recalled a TV Guide interview back in the 90's where JMS initially pitched his B5 idea to the folk at Paramount, who not only declined, but took his idea to the franchise and began production of Deep Space Nine.

I guess he's not one to hold a grudge, unlike me.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    ...Harlan Ellison was intimately involved with that series during the latter years (am I correct on this, that he actually did the voice of the base's computer?)
    In one episode, yes. The station temporarily its cold, emotionless female computer voice interface with a prototype AI with a personality (namely Uncle Harlan). The new interface was so annoying, Garibaldi put an end to the experiment by popping a PPG shot into the speaker.
    chris "mac" mccarver

JMS doing Trek? Good god I hope not.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Berman and Braga are, I think, out of gas. This isn't anything to be ashamed of, anyone who has GM'ed for any length of time knows that periodically, you must rest or your stories will go stale (there are GMs capable of continuous good work, but I'm talking the general case, here: I consider such talents exceptional).

That means the series could be improved by almost *any* outsider, in my opinion.

Paramount cut the per episode bill this year, according to TV Guide, just to get the required hundred episodes complete so that syndication is possible. That means this is the last season, unless they can capture enough ratings to justify a higher cost for season 5. It seems to cost around $2m to produce an episode (but it's hard to find exact figures). At a billing price of $1.7m, Paramount was losing a little bit of money; at $800k they're charging less than half the cost.

The question they have to ask is: if we're losing around $26m a year on the show (1.2m x 22 episodes), is that being made up in other revenue? If we cease production and the approximately $200m a year in merchandising revenue drops by more than $26m, then we've damaged ourselves. You can bet that a team of accountants and studio executives will be attempting to answer that question before this time next year.

Just in case y'all forgot.. Braga is out. The new guy heading show according to one of the cast members is Manny Coto.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

*plants tongue firmly in cheek, and is not referring to anyone in particular, honest!*

Rest assured that no matter what happens to the Star Trek franchise, there will always be someone who endlessly whines and bitches about it.

And 'I will always be here'... to whack them with a stick.

"Man, I can't believe how awful this new Star Trek is! I... AIIGH!"
    *CRUNCH! THWAP! WHAM! FOLD! SPINDLE! MUTILATE!*

"One moment of perfect beauty..."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook