Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have Viewers Changed Too Much?

Cool

Originally posted by Kaiddin

Right! A well written, well acted series with one or two characters that need to be written out and its opposite, a pedantically written series, poorly acted with only one character worth keeping.
    Well Maybe just the actress. I agree they are like night and day.
    Just so you know, I'm Anti-Mainstream, but I do happen to like a few mainstream shows, especially if they're quirky, and the folks at Stars Hollow (the town where Gilmore Girls is set in) is full of quirks. It reminded me of Northern Exposure.

But such mainstream shows like Hope and Faith I'll never understand but the mainstream do, and that's what keeping them on the air, simply because we genre fans are but a few, the minority of the minorities.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Hey, I'm Canadian! Our Prime Minister has said that if you don't agree with him you're UnCanadian. So if it is good enough for him..... Naw, I'd rather just respect your opinion.
    I believe I understand. My girlfriend is Canadian. Or maybe UnCanadian...or maybe...Ah hell, I'm just gonna invade Toronto and turn it into the seat of power for my Strict Empire! No more confusion!

It will be...GLORIOUS...

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Arrow

Are they not all cancelled? If they were still being made I would have included Buffy and Firefly in the list of better shows on TV.
    Depends on your definition of cancellation. Buffy made 7 seasons, same as TNG and DS9. Firefly didn't stand a chance in the "timeslot of death" Friday night. In fact, FOX couldn't win the Friday night timeslot since they moved The X-Files to Sunday night.

But as a genre fan, you'd be pissed that Firefly have cancelled midseason.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by strict31
    .Ah hell, I'm just gonna invade Toronto and turn it into the seat of power for my Strict Empire! No more confusion!
    You don't really want Toronto. Trust me. The rest of Canada doesn't want it either. If you can find a cd (or cassette) of the comedy group Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie check out "The Toronto Song" .

Or try Ampcast.com !
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Originally posted by REG
    Just so you know, I'm Anti-Mainstream, but I do happen to like a few mainstream shows, especially if they're quirky, and the folks at Stars Hollow (the town where Gilmore Girls is set in) is full of quirks. It reminded me of Northern Exposure.

But such mainstream shows like Hope and Faith I'll never understand but the mainstream do, and that's what keeping them on the air, simply because we genre fans are but a few, the minority of the minorities.
    I just hate shows that assume that the average IQ is in the mid 60s. One of the reasons I watched Frasier for as long as I did (Other than David Hyde Pierce and Jane Leeves) was the fact that it wasn't written down to the LCD. In the beginning, neither was Gilmore Girls . I saw an interview with one of the writers where he was asked if he was worried that the audience would get lost in the dialogue, as GG has about 60% more dialogue than other one hour dramas. He responded that he believes that the viewing audience is more intelligent than network execs believed them to be.

I watch Everwood mainly for Treat Williams acting. I like the barbs between his character and Tom Amandes' character.

I watched Northern Exposure for the first 2 years and thought it was starting to lose its edge.

If we don't get back on topic, this thread will probably be moved or closed.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

I think the question posed has been explored.

I like Toronto. I like the comic shops. Never have I seen so many lovely girls working in comic shops. I also liked the paramount theater. Ten foot long 1701-E and K'Vort hanging in the lobby (least they were when I was last there). Nice. And of course, traffic is like flying the Millenium Falcon into a swarm of imperial fighters. Always thrilling.

I also like the fact that it's being used as Raccoon City in ResEve 2. Even though it's a piss-poor Racoon City...somehow, the idea of Zombies trudging around Toronto is fitting given the dubious quality of Tim Horton's coffee.

Strictly Speaking

To Everwood and Gilmore Girls.
    I was with you right up to there. Everwood is perhaps the finest family drama on TV right now. It is intelligent, well written and appeals not only to teens but adults as well. A family can sit an watch it without it having to be G rated pap. The acting is superb and the direction (Kathy Bates doing much of it) is fantastic. When they bring in a star name for a cameo, they don't just have them show up as a flavour of the week, but instead work them into the plot of the show or the feeling of the town (James Earl Jones grumpy-old-Jaz character or Beau Bridges as the guy who wanted to build his wife a lighthouse). This isn't the OC or the new version of 90210. This show is smart. Plain and simple.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest

But other than that I agree with you, reality TV is death on wheels for actors and I can't wait for it to go away, just like quiz shows from the 50's.

Except when Claudia Christian guest starred on Everwood . She was there for the 2 minute teaser, her name showed up as a guest star and then nothing. I really thought there were going to be more flashbacks in Debra Mooney's character to use Claudia but there was nothing. So was she even the flavour of the week?
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

Have Viewers changed too much?

Yes. At a time, I thought DS9 was greatest thing to come along since sliced bread. I watched it religiously. Every Saturday until it went off the air.

Now, I find myself turning the channel to Smallvile instead of watching Enterprise. It's not like I hate Enterprise, I just find that my taste in programs has changed. Maybe one day I might regret not taking the time to watch but right now I feel there is so much better programing out there like the Shield on FX.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

Has viewers changed much?

Yeah when you have Trek fans watching girlie shows like Gilmore Girls and other shows about pretty white people with problems. just teasing.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

I like The Shield, but I always miss the damn show.

But even liking the Shield, which I probably wouldn't have watched ten years ago if it were on, it doesn't change the fact that I still like TOS. That I still like TNG and DS9. Those shows haven't changed. Let's say, for example, that a person liked good writing and good characterization in the 60s. And in the 80s. And in the 90s. Is it logical to suggest that they suddenly don't like these things today? That their desire for an intelligent story has changed? or that, if Star trek is no longer being written well and say, Gilmore Girls is, that this means their desire to see good story has changed?

EverStrict

Cool

Originally posted by Space_Cadet

Yeah when you have Trek fans watching girlie shows like Gilmore Girls and other shows about pretty white people with problems. just teasing.
    Can't be helped. Not many white viewers want to watch shows about filipino people with problems. And if there is a filipino in a show (Andromeda), she's not dealing with filipino problems.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Except when Claudia Christian guest starred on Everwood . She was there for the 2 minute teaser, her name showed up as a guest star and then nothing. I really thought there were going to be more flashbacks in Debra Mooney's character to use Claudia but there was nothing. So was she even the flavour of the week?
    I don't see Cluadia Christian (outside of Sci-Fi circles) as a star of any order. She gets a title credit because her agent neogitiated her one, but to put her on the level of James Earl Jones or Beau Bridges is like comparing apples and oranges, sure they are both fruit, but they ain't the same type.

Michael Chiklis is a good actor. The series definately has an edge.

to put her on the level of James Earl Jones
    He's an icon.

I hate using the word star as though it has the same meaning as actor. Bill Engvald type rant will be omitted at this time.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

That's why I pruchased Season 1 and 2 on DVD.

One of the elements that makes the Shield such an outstanding show is the writing and the story arc and character development.

IMHO
    Maybe what Enterpise needs is the same type of story structure and edgeness. What TOS did was ground breaking. TNG was return to TOS with just a new Captain. DS9 shy away but not far enough. Voyager was stagnet. What Enterprise needs is shock value. Use cutting edge story telling and it might just draw a new fan base.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain