Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkrie Space Superiority Fighter

That is a very sound design overall. What I would suggest might not work, which is fine. In case it might help in some way however, I have attached the pic I was working on.

1. With three decks height, you could have your control tower on the topmost deck overlooking the bay. The Pilots Briefing room on the next lower deck underneath (and maybe a bit further back, although this would not be necessary) with a stair leading downward. Of course this is hardly a necessary change if you use the below suggestion. I made the "13" area a dotted line in the attached pic to give a better idea of what I mean here.

2. Rather than run the Maint. Area to the back (the area labelled 4 on your layout), it could be redesigned and opened up as shown in the 'alt' map attachment here. This would have a few advantages:
    • You could open up some of that space at the front of the main hangar bay for the fighters (and other small craft) to get out. This makes it look a lot less congested and better allows for, shall we say, problem landings and/or launching more than three fighters.
    • It gives a lot more room to manuver for all the small craft. No real pinch points (maybe a bit in the corner, but no doubt this could be distributed a bit more evenly, I'm doing this fast and sloppy)
    • Use the "corridor" (marked "4?" in red on the map attachment) for repair, especially if that repair is on a raised platform 1½ decks up (if you have 4m decks, this would give the maint. platform a clearance of 6m which is enough for most vessels) This platform does not take up the whole deck, just the half of the 'corridor' right where the line of fighters appears on the plan. Thus craft pass through this area from back to front (on return) and any repairs can lift up and set down onto the platform if necessary or head through to the main bay if not. Also keep in mind that some repair work can be done in the Main Bay, esp. ad hoc or small repairs and that sort of thing.
    • You get a few more small craft (30 total in the main bay). If you don't want the additional ships, the existing ships can be re-distributed for a bit more room. You could also use the 1½ deck tall 'shelf' idea here for a few extra ships (the shelf would be located in the area originally marked "4", i.e. the quarter circle area in the main hangar area).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Cool

What you suggest would make sense. I certainly don't see a problem with it. I'll discuss it with Denzil and see what he thinks.

I'm glad you didn't mess with the quarters, escape pods, etc. Those are pretty much established by the external appearance of the ship.

BTW, the deck immediately below this one is the ship's 'main' deck. This is the area with sickbay in the middle, lounges port and starboard (you can see the inset windows on the lower hull), and other ship's services areas.

We have the ship generally mapped out. It's all the gruntwork of producing halfway decent drawings that's slowing us down. If you've seen that bridge, you know what we're aiming for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Here's some nice reference images from Alex Jaeger's original drawings..

http://trek-reference.com/index.php?...%2F664da-6.jpg
    http://trek-reference.com/index.php?...%2F954da-5.jpg
    http://trek-reference.com/index.php?...%2Fakira01.jpg

I would really love to see the whole set of plans.. it's a really nice ship and it'd be cool to use those things !

I would especially like to see a cross section of the whole thing, as I've always been a fan of cross sections.. did you do any of those ?
    Ta Muchly

Use what you will, discard what you don't like. Just something I threw out as a suggestion and I know it probably needs to be finessed in any case. Thanks for considering it.

Very nice work on the bridge btw. It has a more rounded look than my style, but I definitely like it. Very clean-looking too, and the rounded quality of the walls really stands out because of it. If you don't mind I might steal your tactical situation display table from the bridge there (of course making enough little changes to keep them separate). Usually the larger scope of my plans precludes that sort of detail (it would come out as a tiny rectangle), but I do have some close-up views of specific rooms for my tabletop games. I have considered something for my Aeroshuttle deckplans that would incorporate the tactical display and be used as a kind of general area -- a desk for the CO, a master display, a tactical display and a table-with-built-in-replicator for dining. All complete with stools that rise up from the floor to save space. Using this image as a basis I can see the possibilities.

Regarding not doing anything with the quarters and escape pods. The point had come up with regards to the tight turn in the bay, not anything else so there really wasn't a need. Also, I know about problems placing quarters and escape pods in respect to lining everything up with windows. That job is a real pain (you can see the window marks on my Nova plans in very faint grey). It is the things like that which prevent me from a making plans for the Intrepid class.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Cool

You're certainly welcome to use that display AFAIC.

Your comments about where to put things is well said. I remember a conversation with Franz Joseph where he went to great pains to explain 'lofting' to me and I've tried to keep that in mind.

We went to some trouble to match the bridge up with the external art that you see in the post above.

As to the question of cutaways- we do have a very scribbled-over sketch of the Akira-class in cutaway. A number of cutaways exist on the internet- ranging from the unusable to the ludicrous. A couple come very close. With a vessel as complex as the Akira-class, one cutaway just doesn't do it. You need a boom cutaway as well as a centerline. Especially since we chose to go with the twin M/ARA layout with each M/ARA extending up into the booms.
    We don't have a publishable cutaway at the moment, however.

In terms of geneaology, we decided that the designers of the Akira-class were inspired by the considerably older NX-01 design, but the two have little relationship other than general external layout. The Akira-class is probably more closely related to the Miranda-class in general design intent (albeit much larger).

2 warp cores! Wow they must have designed them to fight the Sona, so they could have 2 shots at their Isolytic subspace weapon before space collapsed

yes that is often one of the problems with these wierd shaped ships is .. where do you put the warp core! While it gives you allot more backup it would still create nightmares for any chief engineer if one of the blew.. trying to reroute his primary EPS conduit round the ship!

2 sections would likelly be needed to fully cover the ship - a centreline and one down the middle of one of the booms.. which would create a nasty cross section as it cuts through things at wierd angles around the saucer section area!

Still I always love exploratory diagrams of these kinds of things, one day I might even do a fully 3d cutaway of something ! - one day such as when I have allot of spare time !
    Ta Muchly

Cool

Well, the Intrepid-class has two warp cores...okay, one's simply a spare (luckily for Janeway)

If we can get Lancer to share his Akira-plans I'm sure people would be impressed. They are not the same layout as Denzil and I intend, but the effort put into the plans is very impressive.

I, for one, am impressed with the Nova-class work. Very excellent.

Who do we need to annoy? I have amazing nagging powers akin to Marge Simpson

PLEASE give us the blueprints PLEASE!!!
    Ta Muchly

Cool

Originally posted by Tobian
    Who do we need to annoy? I have amazing nagging powers akin to Marge Simpson

PLEASE give us the blueprints PLEASE!!!
    I've emailed him. We'll see...

EEExcelent ! (Montgomey Burns styleeee)

Has anyone else got any detailed deck plans of anything elese, out of interest, discounding Publis of course 'cause I've seen them; nabbed them; admired them already
    Ta Muchly

Cool

Andreas tells me that he has no problem sharing his Akira plans. He's checking them over and deciding how to format them for us.

How's that?

Pretty cool!

Formatting will be a problem. Are the original one's hand drawn or computer formatted ? I noticed there was one of one and one of the other. I guess either would be good but of course the best format would be as a PDF and with all vectors But I doubt it hehe.
    Ta Muchly

Akira-class deckplans

Sorry to keep you guys waiting for the deckplans, but some other things came up I wanted to take care of first. My best guesstimate is that I should have something ready by Friday or Saturday. My current plan is to put them on my homepage in JPEG or GIF format.

Lancer: You got a URL for your homepage (so I can shamelessly nab stuff to use?)

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

*waits patiently*

Well i have been through your website and it doesn't appear to be there, so i will have to wait!
    Ta Muchly