Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkrie Space Superiority Fighter

Valkrie Space Superiority Fighter

Hey All!

We carrier freaks have had a problem with The Akira Class since the Starship Book came out. Basically with only a 21 Shuttlebay, you can only have 10 Size 2 Fighters in the bay. Pretty weak.

Well I have made a Size 1 Fighter that makes the Akira more of a Carrier.

Enjoy!!!

Valkrie Space Superiority Fighter

Hull Data
    Structure: 5
    Size/Decks: 1/1
    Length/Height/Beam: 5m / 2m / 2m
    Complement: 1

Tactical Data
    Phasers: Type 1 (x5/A)
    Penetration: 3/3/2/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk25 (Micro) (x1/A)
    Photon Penetration: 2/2/2/2/0
    Deflector Shield: FSQ-2 (CC)
    Protection/Threshold: 14/1

Propulsion Data
    Impulse System: FIG (.9c) (C)
    Warp System: LF-2 (2/3.5/5) (B)

Operational Data
    Atmosphere Capable: Yes
    Cargo Units: 1
    Life Support: Class 1 (B)
    Operation Systems: Class 1 (B)
    Sensor Systems: Class 1 (B)
    Separation System: none
    Shuttlebay: none
    Shuttlecraft: none
    Tractor Beams: 1 av
    Transporters: 1 1-Person Standard

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: C -2, H +3, T +1,
    Traits: None

Construction
    Space: 17 Remaining: 0
    Atmospheric Capable: 1
    Operation Systems: 2
    Life Support: 2
    Sensor System: 1
    Propulsion: 3
    Warp: 1
    Beam Weapons: 5
    Missile Weapons: 1
    Deflector Shields: 1

Now you can have 17 Valkries and 2 Danube Runabout in the Akira's bay.

And the Valkrie doesn't overpower the already powerful Akira.

Well my work here is done!

Until next time!

P.S.
    Did I add that you would have to be nuts to actually get in this thing?
    It would be like strapping yourself into a Photon Torpedo.

LMAO!!!!!!
    Last edited by stule; 06-22-2004 at 06:22 AM.
    If Matt Damon is going to be Captain Kirk, does that mean Ben Affleck is gonna be Mr. Spock?

Yee gads ! that's one tiny fighter.. you might want to tweak those dimensions because it's going to look awfully odd - it's higher than it is wide and quite short.... it sort of sounds like someone strapped a warp drive and a missile launcher to an engineering inspection pdd

That emergency transporter counts for allot because i wouldn't want to engage a capital ship in one of those without one! A single hit to that ship from anything with decent weapons and it's going to fry! The Shields will hold it together but if you hit that ship with an attack dealing 6 points of damage your ship is toast!

Personally I would say that such a ship would probably be better served if you removed the warp drive and bumped up the shields threshold by 1 - and simply write a note at the bottom saying pilots best beam out of they are hit once

Where I can imagine this working is in a dominion War scenario where the Federation is desperate or where it wants to run unconventional missions, where a tiny but reasonably well armed shuttle can slip through sensor nets to beam people out (ok one!)

Also if you take away the Warp drive, then it can't breach... aka if the ship is 'destroyed' then the pilot could still (possibly) escape in the nick of time, otherwise yes, a hit taking all it's damage would render it like a small photon torpedo lighting up the night sky
    Ta Muchly

Done!!
    I fixed the height but unfortunately I can not raise the shields.
    It cost too much.

grrrr.

TY Tobian!
    Last edited by stule; 06-22-2004 at 06:32 AM.
    If Matt Damon is going to be Captain Kirk, does that mean Ben Affleck is gonna be Mr. Spock?

Depending on the model of your shields you can pay a single structure point (up to the maximum of that model) to increase your penetration.. so with a single point you COULD improve your shields.. However if the maximum for thos is 1 then you .. can't

Look on the table, it will be listed like 1/2 or 2/4 etc..
    Ta Muchly

Yep I did.

It is listed as 14 then it says 1/1.

The closet thing I could buy is a 12 shield with a 1/2 but that would cost three.

Groan.

Looks like my little fighter pilots gonna sub as a Photon Torpedo.

Only thing that bothers me is that I can't represent the Akira as Cannon.

There is no way to increase her Shuttlebay (21 is max).

Looked at Spacedockl rules (Icon) nad they have it there but god what a headache.

Thats why I like CODA.

But I guess we have to give up a little for ease of play.

Hmmmmm...10 Runabouts with Torpedo mounts.....
    That would fit...

Thanks again!

You can addenum those rules with the rules for creating star docks and space ports from KW's Expanded Operations handbook (available elsewhere onthese boards) - which might enable you to mangle the rules just enough to allow you more space to have the shuttlebay of your dreams
    Ta Muchly

That emergency transporter counts for allot because i wouldn't want to engage a capital ship in one of those without one! A single hit to that ship from anything with decent weapons and it's going to fry! The Shields will hold it together but if you hit that ship with an attack dealing 6 points of damage your ship is toast!

Sounds like the kinda thing that'd happen to a WWII Torpedo Boat when faced by anyhting larger than a WWII Destroyer. And that kind of comparison I think is about right.

With the numbers of Fighters that can be launched, plus the Akiras firepower, that is a scary looking combat capability. Which is why Carriers are the scariest thing in modern navies!

The shape is odd, and needs to be sorted but otherwise that looks about right. Maybe the ship's size could modify target numbers to hit, as capital ship weapons would be callibrated for larger targets, possibly?
    (Shades of Star Wars there, though....."We will have to take the fighters out ship-to-ship....*wheeze*...you two, come with me.....*heavy breathing*")

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Hmm But I think that ships of that size already get a bonus to their manouvers - so if it's trying evasive manouvers it's got more of a chance on average... Still I don't think it should REALLY work like that in StarTrek because the tactical systems are highly advanced.. Yes perhaps in TOS and probably in Enteprise but thinking to Chaims made by Worf on the Enterprise D make me think that thier tactical systems could hit a fly on the side of a barn 40,000 miles away While it's abstract, i think the bonuses ships get to their manouvers (or penalities in some cases) help to mitigate this. On average smaller ships start off with higher CONN manouver modifiers.. and they can buy less modifiers - larger ships have better tactical skills and more powerful systems so they get more points BUT often have to pay for their ships NOT to move round like a lead Elephant - so it's kind of ballanced out..
    Ta Muchly

Shuttle bays

Originally posted by stule

Only thing that bothers me is that I can't represent the Akira as Cannon.

There is no way to increase her Shuttlebay (21 is max).

Thanks again!
    I created a new starship edge called "Thru Deck Carrier", with this edge the ship may have size class shuttlebays instead of 1/2 size class shuttlebays.
    This enabled me to design an Akira with a reasonable number of fighters. I also used the edge on my version of the Eclipse class, making for a very impressive carrier.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

That makes allot of sense, as it means your 'carrier' can't do much else by the time it's paid for all of that.. the only problem with that is that it also conflicts with what we also know about the class, which is it's armed to the teeth! Buying all that space will detract from it's weapons

You always have to take a pinch of salt with these rules anyway.. A Galaxy class can take 24 points worth of shuttles.. that sounds allot till you look at the size of their Shuttlebay 1 ! I have the blueprints, - it's VAST ! Bottom line is with the rules they are an abstraction meant for game ballance and they aren't meant to be a be-all and end-all of the game!
    Ta Muchly

Cool

And here we go again

This has to be the fourth or fifth time we've discussed the Akira class, her hangar space, and her complement of fighters. Please do a search and check out the earlier threads.

But- to keep down the headache level- According to Don, the hangar capacity of the Akira only represents the number of smallcraft that can be handled at any one time. There is plenty of space onboard that class to carry the 40-50 craft indicated in canon.

We've also posted and discussed the Valkyrie class fighter (From the Invasion game) and you can find a very credible listing for the "Peregrine" Starfleet Attack Fighter in Expanded Starship Operations.

Here is the flight deck we used in our game: (see attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

That's a very nice lower deck you have there! Are there more of them lying about as that would be pretty cool !

Hmm one thing of note though.. that central meeting room means those large shuttles stored in the storage bays have a heck of a tight turning circle to get out.. someone ought to get Tom Paris to get them through that gap
    Ta Muchly

I hereby ditto Tobian, more plans? :hopeful look: BTW, nice job too. From what it appears here, these are very servicable plans for tabletop playing. Gives you a pretty good impression where you are on the deck without having to get all specific about the more minor rooms. Mine are mainly hobby-work and I add all that detail for the intellectual exercise more than the true utility.

As to the tight fit, I'm assuming that you set aside two decks for the bays, just make the Pilot briefing room on the deck above hanging over the area with a stair down right along the common wall with the computer core. That gives you a bit more room, not an immense amount, but it gives some space for the nose to come around on that turn.

Course the computer core is the real (and a bigger) problem, but with '13/pilot Briefing Room' elevated it would not be as much of an issue to make the turn. How many decks does the Core run? remember that the E-D cores run way too many friggin' decks because of the size of the vessel, the crew compliment and the fact that it is science/exploration oriented. (Of course in back in reality the cores run all those decks because the paper designer had the space and wanted it to look impressive).

May I tender some other suggestions Cmdr Powers? I don't want to step on any toes but I have what I think is a nice solution.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Cool

That deck was part of the USS Vanguard project started by Denzil Miracle and myself some years back. The Akira-class bridge you've seen elsewhere is the first completed part.

The plans I attached above are redrawn from my sketches by another of our happy bunch here at TrekRPG.net who hales from Germany. I believe it was Lancer (I hope... it's been too many months, and my memory isn't what it used to be).

This same guy did his own Akira-class plans, detailing every single deck. But for some reason, he's never published them here that I know of, and I certainly don't have permission to republish his work. Also, his plans differed from ours to a certain extent.

Our project has experienced considerable delays (mainly due to real life), but we do intend to do more soon.

Cool

To answer a couple of your concerns:

If I'm not mistaken, the computer core runs five decks deep, pretty much ending down here at the flight deck level. A secondary core is located aft and lower in the engineering bulge, just ahead of the major deuterium tankage and near the secondary bridge.

This flight deck is three decks deep with huge sliding panel doors leading to the storage/maintainance bays. Now that I come to think of it, I don't know why Andreas put Runabouts in there- they would go elsewhere on the deck- probably aft.

The flight control tower juts out over the pilot briefing room and a passage runs aft to the smaller control room over the aft hangar bay doors. At the upper level a gallery runs the length of both sides of the bay, over the fighter revetments. The entire forward end of the flight deck narrows down to just enough room for three fighters to launch through those forward doors.

The Peregrines shown here are based on the Attack Fighter described and diagramed by Owen Oulten- not the machine shown in Star Trek: The Magazine, which are way too large. At Owen's size, the Peregrine fits through those hatches quite nicely and is easily a size 2 vessel.
    Last edited by Cmdr Powers; 06-23-2004 at 09:04 PM.