Thread: 1st Age pseudo-sourcebook

1st Age pseudo-sourcebook

OK. I've decided to put the volumes of information and NPCs from my Silmarillion game to good use and start on a quasi-sourcebook for the First Age. With each thread, I'm going to write down what I have for various aspects of the game (like character creation, races, new skills and new uses for old skills, magic, equipment, etc.), and perhaps suggest changes or ways to implement these rules in your own First Age game.

I've decided against following the FotR and TTT sourcebook format because it runs counter to what I'm really trying to do. I want to provide Narrators and players with tools to play a First Age game, especially those who have neither the time nor the desire to come up with everything themselves. I'm not too keen on repeating information that can be found in other sources and used in a game with little effort.

These are the things I already have written up that only await presentation.

1. Races revised
    2. Character creation revised
    3. New skills and new uses for old skills
    4. New magic system
    5. Lots of NPCs statted out by the book
    6. Equipment

I'm only going to present information that is different from what's published in Decipher products because I don't like repetition, and I want to encourage people to get the books that are already out there . So, though I have stats for creatures such as werewolves and Orcs, I'm not posting them. I may, however, present some monsters as races and give my own rules. The main point with this endeavor is to showcase what the system can do and provide interested players with the tools they need to play a game set during the First Age that they cannot get from other sources.

Also, I won't be doing any of the plot synopses or the place descriptions because I'm going to assume from people's interest that they are already familiar with the story or have access to sources that can provide information.

So, to start, which aspect from the list above would you be most interested in getting first?
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!

Sounds good, Green. I would like to see your ideas on NPC's. First Age stuff is cool because the Elves and Men were really bad-ass. I'd definitely like to have stats for Finrod Felagund and Sauron (so they could duke it out wifffff magic)
    Narrator for an all Dwarvish Chronicle, 2770 TA; the working title is...FRIENDS OF THE FAMILY

no sauron yet, but here's Finrod!

Here's Finrod. The names for his weapons were made up. Also, the differences in some of his skills and attributes and how they work in CODA are intentional. I'd done racial traits differently, but I kept to the same base method. I'd be happy to detail the rules changes I made if you have any questions.

NARRATOR NOTES
    This portrait represents Finrod's abilities around the time he founded Nargothrond. If you wish to use Finrod later on in the First Age, give him 2 more advancements, and with the picks, get Lore: Men +6 (History, House of Beor) and Faithful (line of Beor). You may also give Finrod the Oath (aid line of Barahir) flaw and place another skill rank or specialty in one of Finrod's Lore skills.

Of all the major characters in The Silmarillion, Finrod is the most widely traveled and the most likely to not only welcome company on his travels, but also to need valiant people to help him learn more about Middle-earth and its peoples. Indeed, provided he has the time, he is likely to want to travel along on whatever escapades the PCs involve themselves in.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sourcebook????

I have to say I am waiting for your sourcebook. 1st Age is an open field to play in. Let me know when you finish it.

Wilson
    the roads goes ever on..... so buy a volvo!

"don't tell the elf"-Gimili at the Hornburg LOTR TTT

What about second breakfast?- Pippin, LOTR FOTR

"My precious"- my treo 700 phone/PDA

Any change in status

Is it safe? is it secret? is it in my stocking?

Sorry. I've been a bit tied up as of late, and I forgot I still had a membership here. You can find my "sourcebook" at Decipher's LotR RPG boards, but I think I'll compile everything here too, and perhaps in a more palatable format since I can put PDFs in my posts.
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!

Sounds good

I look forward to it

Lightbulb where the "sourcebook" is

Click here to access my 1st Age "sourcebook." If I do this again in the future, I'll probably change more, but as it stands I like what I have so far.
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!