Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC2 Symbol Catalog

Talking CC2 Symbol Catalog

I just picked up Campaign Cartographer 2 this weekend, and must say that it's an awesome program. I've built the Operations center from the space station of my MUX (which is available on my web page under 'Setting').

I'd like to put out a call to other CC2 users to see if anyone would like help create some Trek-like Symbol Catalogs for release to our TrekRPG brethren. I've managed to compile quite a few while working on the Ops, but it's far from complete.

------------------
    Anomaly

Anomaly TrekMUX: http://anomaly.mybis.com

Where can you pick this CC2 up, is there a specific retail chain or can it be ordered from any where?

Anomaly.
    Great plan! As far as doing a symbol catalog, I think you're already well underway - I especially love the LCARS patterns: very nice.

I've had CC2 for about 18 months, but I haven't done anything on it for the last 6 months or so - I can't even remember how to do new symbols. Also, between several major university assignments I'm doing at present, working part time, spending some time with my wife and son and (in the few spare minutes I have each week) trying to do some work on my Crew Roster generator, I simply don't have time to tackle another project.

Put me down to test stuff, tho - that doesn't take long and I've got the latest version of CC2, so if I can be any help in that dept, let me know.

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

CC2 can be ordered from www.arpeegy.com (a great place for RPG stuff - I got most of my Trek materials there). It's probably the neatest toy I've seen for RPG's in a long time. Its homepage (and demo) is at Pro Fantasy Software.

I could probably churn out a bridge plan every two days or so. This Ops took me five, because I was learning. I wish I could go back and undo a lot of stuff I did wrong the first go-round.

------------------
    Anomaly

I'm going to be good and refrain from advertising here - I happen to work for the company...

But I'm happy to hear you like it...

For those of you interested in tracking down a copy, most FLGS either have it or can get hold of it on order.

<HUGE GRIN>

------------------
    Slartibart-Jon

Let me toss out my praise for CC2. It has a learning curve, true, but once you learn it (a matter of a couple hours, mostly), it's awesome. I've used it since version 1.1 and never been disappointed. I recently sent Simon at ProFantasy a long list of suggested symbols and stuff for a sci-fi add-on of some sort that they're working on.

For those of you who like fantasy settings, ProFantasy has some spectacular castle and other maps available free on their website. PF does a great job supporting its product.

I lack the time and talent to help prepare a Trek-specific symbol library, but I'd love to see such a thing! I'd also love to see some more of your designs, Anomaly -- the Ops center looks great!

Steve Long

[This message has been edited by Steve Long (edited 03-23-2001).]

Lightbulb

Okay, that map ROCKS! Wow, how'd you do that? I have CC2 and must admit I have never really taken the time to master it or climb the learning curve.

With that said, based on your output, it sounds like a worthy investment of one's time.

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to write up some "how to's" on using CC2 and Trek symbols? We could post 'em here on TrekRPGNet (with screenshots) so that people can learn how to take advantage of the software. Even provide a link to resources and how to purchase said program.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Cool

Thanks for the praise, guys. Means a lot coming from the Command Crew. The easiest way to get over the learning curve (for me) was to try and do most everything from the ground up. I used only 3 symbols from an existing catalog (the nice Ship Parts catalog from PFS's web site - a chair, a hatch and the floor grille). The rest I simply toyed with until I got to my liking.

I'm working on the Mall level for my station at the moment (which includes a Bar, a Holosuite area, and some other Fun Stuff), so the symbol catalog should be growing. Once I get more, I'll send in a version with some tips and tricks that I learned along the way. The thing that took me the longest to figure out was how to do a polygon with a box on one side and a circle on the other that was all one object instead of two (LCARS button). Naturally I figured that out 2 days after the LCARS panels were done, so the LCARS panels have about twice the number of polygons than they should have. I'll eventually fix this but for now...

Thanks again. I'll be posting the FCW file (the raw data file) for folks to download and use in their campaigns. All it needs is the free viewer from the PFS web site.

------------------
    Anomaly

Cool

Check out the Mall level of the station.

------------------
    Anomaly

Thumbs up

Nice Job. Both Opps and the Mall are sweet.

------------------
    Doug Odell

Hmmmmm...

Hey, Anomaly, the Bridge of the USS Aegis looks very familiar. In fact, it looks just like the bridge of the USS Magnificent in my Star Trek: Relic campaign.

BTW, I have a newer version, with a bit more colour, and with the Head and Ready Room furnished, if you want to use it. I can custon label it for the Aegis if you want.

Yeah, the Aegis bridge I pulled from, I believe, here.

I'd love to have an updated copy!

------------------
    Anomaly

Yeah, that's the one... When I submitted it, the file apparently got separated from my original message, so it never got credited. No biggie...

Anyway, I've sent you a copy of the revised .GIF file, specifially customised for your MUX.

BTW, what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks does MUX stand for? I know MUD was the original and stood for Multi-User Dungeon.

Your plans for your Mall and Ops Deck are the best CC2 ship plan drawings I've seen yet. None of the other examples I've ever seen were worth looking at. The fantasy stuff wasn't bad, but all the SF stuff looked like 1979-era Traveller deck plans. Functional, but very plain.

Cool

Owen, thanks for the file. I'll put you up as the creator of the image - if I have names for folks I try to include them. I appreciate the updated pic.

MUX stands for 'Multi User eXperience' or something like that. It's a derivative of MUSH, but with support for ANSI, a hardcoded mailer and built-in channels. As far as these types of servers go, I think it's the top of the line. And support from the dev team is quality as well.

Thanks for the compliments on the maps - ironically my background comes from Traveller when it comes to building ships/maps (I've been with Traveller since it's little boxed 3-book days in the late 70's). Gah, I'm dating myself.

The .FCW files should be ready soon, which means folks will be able to download them, use them with the viewer, and print them out for their own use. The symbol catalog I'm building is coming along pretty nicely too, which will (hopefully) help folks build Trek bridges quickly.

------------------
    Anomaly

BTW, Owen, what software did you use to create the Akira bridge?

------------------
    Anomaly