Thread: Berman Contradicting Himself?

Berman Contradicting Himself?

In the latest issue of Communicator, Berman is asked "I have heard that we may find out that the next NX-type ship will be named Columbia - any truth to that?" to which he replied "That's totally not true. It has never been discussed."

However, having watched tonight's episode, "E-Squared," I believe I heard Hoshi mention that the second ship might have been the "NX-02 Columbia." What's going on?
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

This is a surprise? This coming from the man who didn't know what movie the Imperial Klingons debuted in. The man can't even keep his breakfast straight, how he got this far in his occupation is totally beyond me.

Y'know, it's quite possible that Berman snagged the idea of naming the NX-02 Columbia from the interviewer's question.

At the time of the interview, it may not have been true. But, post-interview, Berman might have thought it a good idea and had it added to the show.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Perhaps this is also the proof of Berman being a human being and being prone to make harmless mistakes on the account of not having an eideitic memory.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

"That's totally untrue..." Did I misunderstand? Is that Hollywood for "Gee, I'm not sure. I'll have to check?" Sounds like he is pretty clueless to me.

Now this is just me, but if I were an Executive Producer of a TV show I would be up on the finest details of what my show is about. But, then again I believe in continuity.

Originally posted by C5
    Perhaps this is also the proof of Berman being a human being and being prone to make harmless mistakes on the account of not having an eideitic memory.
    I would chalk it up to that, but his statement was very certain... "It has never been discussed." Maybe it just slipped under the radar. *shrug*

I thought it was a nice touch.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Or, as Ezri's Toy already pointed out, it may genuinely not have been discussed at the time of the interview. These things are often conducted months in advance.

Sheesh, some folks will stretch anything out into an excuse to attack Berman.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

If you'll kindly do a search on my posts, you will notice a relative lack of any anti-B&B comments. I was just pointing out something I found interesting. AS a matter of fact, I happen to think Mr. Berman is a very competant executive producer, and I happen to love Enterprise as done by him.

Thank you.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    I thought Berman was no longer employed by Paramount...?

I thought someone posted something to this effect last week. If this is true, maybe the guy was just out of the loop at that point. If not true, maybe he wanted to keep it a surprise by "misdirection."

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Originally posted by Rayaru
    If you'll kindly do a search on my posts, you will notice a relative lack of any anti-B&B comments.
    Yes, but others in this thread were taking the opportunity to take potshots. I wasn't, in fact, responding to you. My apologies if I didn't make that clear enough in the first place.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Well I don't think that Berman is uber incompetent, but he's far from brilliant. I think that the best ST that came out under his reign was when he didn't interfere with those who knew what they were doing, as was the case with First Contact and DS9. For the record I like ENT. I agree with B&B that they couldn't have possibly done yet another ST series in the TNG era. You could only go way, way past the TNG era or backwards, and I'd choose the latter over the former. Although a ST series set in the, say, 27th century would have been interesting, with new species, new political powers, threats, etc.

As for his 'Columbia' comment Berman is playing typically safe, Hollywood-style. Paramount is probably the most conservative (not in the political sense) major studio and they're well known to dislike risk-taking and overall rocking the boat too much. Because overall the studio isn't doing well recently the big cheese have finally decided to 'take more risks' whatever that means.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg